Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 09:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sure, in your book as you say.

But for those of us that are African Americans, not in our book.

And our book is the only book that matters.
Your book is the only one that matters to YOU. You don't get to tell other people how to describe people. We all get to choose what we call people.

Calling people who were not born in Africa "Africans" is about as stupid as calling people born on earth "Martians".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
I find it rather ignorant when American demographics lumps all black people under the term African-American, but is quick to show recognition to all the various, and different Latino, and Asian groups.
I agree. If you were not born in Africa you can't be African American. It really is that simple.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Africa is a continent. people don't associate you by your continent, they associate you by your ethnicity.
Hmmm..... so nobody is African American?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:08 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, well my acceptance only goes so far.

If you're not black, I don't accept you as an African American.
What if someone said If you're black I don't accept you as an American? Because apparently you don't either.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:04 AM

117 posts, read 137,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmm..... so nobody is African American?

If you are straight from Africa, you are referred to your place of origin. Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia etc.

And like I said earlier, if you want to want to group a bunch of nations together, it would still be ignorant to say African broadly because east African culture and their people are much different than west Africa, and both groups are much different than north Africa.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
If you are straight from Africa, you are referred to your place of origin. Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia etc.

And like I said earlier, if you want to want to group a bunch of nations together, it would still be ignorant to say African broadly because east African culture and their people are much different than west Africa, and both groups are much different than north Africa.
not following that logic, African has to do with the continent, not culture, so why would cultural groupings matter to this discussion ????

Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What if someone said If you're black I don't accept you as an American? Because apparently you don't either.
Why would i care about someone saying that?

Them saying it wouldn't make me any less of an American. So i'd just laugh and walk away.

Why, am i supposed to care about who accepts me as an American?

Old 08-07-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Your book is the only one that matters to YOU. You don't get to tell other people how to describe people. We all get to choose what we call people.

Calling people who were not born in Africa "Africans" is about as stupid as calling people born on earth "Martians".
Stupid or not, that's just the way it is, and you're just gonna have to live with it.

I'm (we're) African Americans, recognized as such by people that matter (and that wouldn't be you), and the term will live on beyond my lifetime and yours. And that's all there is to it.

Of course, you're free to call Bill O'Reilly an African American if you want, but we don't care. We designated that distinction for ourselves, and you're never gonna be able to shoehorn people that we don't accept into OUR designation no matter how much you insist that you can.

So...have a good day sir.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:14 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Then you need to be more specific as to all African origins? North African American, Western African Americans, etc? SILLY
The reason the African-American designation was created is because true African-Americans CAN'T be more specific about their African origins, for various reasons, one of which was that slave owners basically destroyed any remnants of their culture and lineage to the point that they couldn't indentify with their specific origin.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The reason the African-American designation was created is because true African-Americans CAN'T be more specific about their African origins, for various reasons, one of which was that slave owners basically destroyed any remnants of their culture and lineage to the point that they couldn't indentify with their specific origin.
Correct. At least you understand that part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies