Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 03:29 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,029,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Did you call dibs with the trademark office?

This guy is a hundred times more African you than you can ever hope to be

And I love how it burns your racist butt.
Lol..your assertion doesn't bother me one bit. That's because I'm right and you're not. You can't say anything that'll get under my skin.

He can be as African as Shaka Zulu for all I care. That's none of my concern.

But no matter how long he was to stay in this country, he can't become an African American. This is a blacks only club. That's just the way it is.

So..now you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
And what about white people from places like South Africa. They have been there for generations. Some pretty good professional golfers and such have come from South Africa. Should they move to America, surely they would be African Americans. How could they not be?
Easily. Because they aren't black.

The term is reserved for American descendants of slaves...or immigrants coming from other nations in the Americas that had slavery.

Charlize Theron doesn't qualify. Nor would she want to because she knows that's it's preposterous to make that assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 04:59 PM

632 posts, read 928,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You know, I've learned something here.

I don't call a person of Asian decent "yellow", I refer to them as Asian, not even Asian-American, but just Asian.

I think I'll start referring to black people as Africans.
But would you refer to white people as Americans? Do you see the inherent bias against blacks in the U.S.?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,833,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
But would you refer to white people as Americans? Do you see the inherent bias against blacks in the U.S.?
What? I refer to our own kind of ANY "race" as "Americans". Period.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:01 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,286,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My black buddy at work's family has been in this country 200+ years longer than mine but he's an African-American and I'm just an American. Liberal thinking on display for all to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They can list him as Stokely Carmichael if they want to. Doesn't matter.

If he's white, he ain't no African American. Not now,not then, not ever. He's white.
Quote:
The designation is reserved for black Americans of African descent.

That's how it can be.
Quote:
Lol..your assertion doesn't bother me one bit. That's because I'm right and you're not. You can't say anything that'll get under my skin.

He can be as African as Shaka Zulu for all I care. That's none of my concern.

But no matter how long he was to stay in this country, he can't become an African American. This is a blacks only club. That's just the way it is.

So..now you know.

Easily. Because they aren't black.

The term is reserved for American descendants of slaves...or immigrants coming from other nations in the Americas that had slavery.
Incredible!

Political Correctness at it's peak. No basis on facts or truth, only emotion, because someone says so.

And that is as unAmerican spirit as it can get, because THE United States was built on the premise that people can be free to think and believe in what they want without having to kow-tow down to others who who control their (our) lives. Liberty, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,753,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Incredible!

Political Correctness at it's peak. No basis on facts or truth, only emotion, because someone says so.

And that is as unAmerican spirit as it can get, because THE United States was built on the premise that people can be free to think and believe in what they want without having to kow-tow down to others who who control their (our) lives. Liberty, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness.
Well why do you have a problem what desertdetroiter thinks about this....

That is the question.

You should be happy that he is exerting his god given American rights.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,641,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So presumably, we came up with the term "African-American" ( never mind that it's a misnomer ) because the term "black" sounded too derogatory (?) and so now all white people use the term "African-American" when referring to black people.

What's confusing me is, you'll often hear both terms used in practically the same sentence quite often. I noticed this while listening to Clinton, Sanders, and O'Malley talk at the Urban league conference last week.

"Black" seems to be the term of choice when talking about numbers and statistics.

I'm just wondering, why is the term "Black" considered too derogatory in some contexts, but perfectly acceptable in others?
Black and African American are unrelated terms. Black is a skin color regardless of where they live. African American is somebody born in Africa and living in America regardless of their skin color.

It really is that simple.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You know, I've learned something here.

I don't call a person of Asian decent "yellow", I refer to them as Asian, not even Asian-American, but just Asian.

I think I'll start referring to black people as Africans.
So, what will you call black people who did not come from Africa?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Incredible!

I'm not trampling on anyone's right to happiness or their liberty.

But if you're not black, you're not an African American.

This ain't hard to understand.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not trampling on anyone's right to happiness or their liberty.

But if you're not black, you're not an African American.

This ain't hard to understand.
Sorry, but I have white friends from Africa who live in America. That means they are African American.

And I have black friends who were born in America. That means they are Americans.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sorry, but I have white friends from Africa who live in America. That means they are African American.

And I have black friends who were born in America. That means they are Americans.
No.

But I'm laughing at the discovery of all these white African immigrants that everyone on the thread knows all of a sudden.

It's like millions of white Africans just showed up on our shores since this thread started.

White friends from Africa that live in America? Ehhh...not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies