Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Remember when journalism had ethics? I mean...they at least made a stab at it?

Yeah....Im that old.
Cable news demonstrated that biased news could be a profitable business.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
Quote:
Remember when journalism had ethics? I mean...they at least made a stab at it?

Yeah....Im that old.
Curse of the 24 hour news cycle.

When news was only an hour, twice a day, it HAD to focus on facts. Now days, it's all cheap thriller, sensationalism, and over opinionated BS.

I think that's why some folks feel you get more news and real information, watching the satirical Daily Show.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pretty funny.

Fox News is like a magazine. If you find something wrong with one program, just 'turn the page' to another. Denouncing the whole network is pretty silly; denouncing individual journalists is understandable.

Some of their coverage is excellent; some is not so good.
Even some of the hosts we can denounce (and yes, hosts; not journalists) sometimes make good points. Bill O'Riley who is an a giant tool, sometimes makes good points. Of course. But I don't feel any guilt when I dismiss the whole network as being nothing but a way to boost conservative viewers egos. That's all it is. MSNBC does the same for liberals. The news shouldn't confirm what you already know. It should just let you know what's happening and provide an outlet for various people to promote and share their views, guided by a journalist who asks question that are critical of the guests opinions and not looking to maintain a partisan bias.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Even some of the hosts we can denounce (and yes, hosts; not journalists) sometimes make good points. Bill O'Riley who is an a giant tool, sometimes makes good points. Of course. But I don't feel any guilt when I dismiss the whole network as being nothing but a way to boost conservative viewers egos. That's all it is. MSNBC does the same for liberals. The news shouldn't confirm what you already know. It should just let you know what's happening and provide an outlet for various people to promote and share their views, guided by a journalist who asks question that are critical of the guests opinions and not looking to maintain a partisan bias.
Who exactly is O'Reilly a tool for? He's smarter than most other political talk show hosts and shreds them all when they try and debate him on pretty much any issue. Fox is basically for conservatives, MSNBC is for liberals and CNN is somewhat unbiased. Jon Stewart is complete joke. A comedian who rose to fame on MTV and if someone gets their news from Comedy Central, they probably aren't too bright.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 PM

998 posts, read 664,873 times
Quote:
In general I think they believe its being 100% truthful. I know this sounds weird, but many are unwilling to actually research, and recognize that they are being misled. When I've done so to people, they just indicate that its a one off, when I do ti over and over again....they get angry about me constantly "attacking fox news". Even if they agree with the reality that they were lied too.

Its.....mind boggling. People resist the idea that they've been misled.
That statement doesn't really make sense, given that most people watch FOX for their political commentary. By its very definition, political commentary is neither factual or false, because it is the opinion of the commentator. They are reporting on real events. For instance, when I watched Megyn Kelly last night she didn't claim that Martians landed in New York or anything. I think she was talking about the first GOP debate scheduled for Thursday and was collecting opinions about the outcome.

I don't know, but it seems that you and some other liberals here believe that FOX News is some gathering place for card carrying members of some vast Republican conspiracy wing where they discuss their theories of some secretive World Order or Reptilian body snatcher plot.

It's political commentary which is mostly directed to conservative learning people, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies