Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I worked for HP when she nearly drove the company off the cliff. I have no idea why you would think she would be "top notch" at anything.
Many opinions about her winning the so-called debate (the show did not even come close to resembling a debate). However, have to wonder if the real reason that many rated Carly as the winner is because she was with so many losers, and it would have been pretty easy for anyone to shine if they chose the right words, spoke clearly and with confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I worked for HP when she nearly drove the company off the cliff. I have no idea why you would think she would be "top notch" at anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most CEOs are clueless when it comes to tech. They have people who take care of that sort of stuff.

Does anyone think Trump is sitting around in his tidy whities at 3:00am , hitting Twitter?
according to records, she did real well with Hp

from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Fiorina
Quote:
In 1980, Fiorina joined AT&T as a management trainee and rose to become a senior vice president overseeing the company's hardware and systems division.[24]

In 1995, Fiorina led corporate operations for the spinoff from AT&T of Lucent, reporting to Lucent chief executive Henry B. Schacht.[25] She played a key role in planning and implementing the 1996 initial public offering of stock and company launch strategy.[26][27] Later in 1996, Fiorina was appointed president of Lucent's consumer products business, reporting to Rich McGinn, president and chief operating officer.[27] In 1997, she was appointed chair of Lucent's consumer communications joint venture with Philips consumer communications.[28] Later that year, she was named group president for the global service provider business at Lucent, overseeing marketing and sales for the company's largest customer segment.[29]

Hewlett-Packard (HP)[edit]

In July 1999, Hewlett-Packard Company named Fiorina chief executive officer, succeeding Lewis Platt. She became the first woman to lead a Fortune 20 company.[3] Fiorina immediately became a highly visible chief executive and remained so throughout her tenure at the company.[35]

Fiorina as CEO and Chair of the Board of Hewlett-Packard, August 2, 2004
Fiorina proceeded to reorganize HP and merge the part she kept with PC maker Compaq

During Fiorina's time as CEO, HP's revenue doubled due to mergers with Compaq and other companies,[55][56] and the rate of patent filings increased

During her time at Lucent and Hewlett-Packard, she was named by Fortune Magazine the most powerful woman in business

member of the board of directors for chip maker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC),
member of the MIT Corporation
member of the Foundation Board of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in 2005
In April 2012, Fiorina became chair of Good360, a 501(c)(3) nonpartisan nonprofit organization in Alexandria, Virginia, which helps companies donate excess merchandise to charities.[106] As of May 2015, she continues to hold this position

she is more than '''just a CEO'''

Old 08-07-2015, 12:04 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
I'm a former Republican turned independent turned Democrat, but I watched both debates yesterday. Keep in mind, you Republicans are going to have to win a significant number of independent voters this coming election, and maybe even some Democrats in order to win. So here is my summary about the peanut gallery debate:

Carly Fiorina: She did extremely well yesterday, but it still bothers me a lot that we have people who think they should be President who have never even once run for public office.

Lindsay Graham: I tend to agree with him on what to do in the Middle East, but he probably scares a few people with it, and he begins to sound like pretty much a one issue candidate.

Rick Santorum: Your time has passed (and you know it), and you're too far right to win the American middle.

Jim Gilmore: I lived in Virginia when he was governor, and, despite being of the opposite party, he did a decent job as gov. Well spoken, but I don't see him getting very far.

Bobby Jindal: Well spoken, but when nearly 70% of the people in his own state rate him poorly, it seems like a shaky launching point for the presidency.

George Pataki: Simply looks worn out. I can't imagine why he is even running.

Rick Perry: Despite his poor performance 4 years ago, I've heard him interviewed several times lately and he sounded quite good. In fact, the first time I heard him in an extensive interview a few months ago, I missed the beginning of the show, so I didn't know who they were interviewing. I was impressed, and surprised when it turned out to be Perry. I think the GOP should give him a second look. His performance yesterday was okay, but certainly less than stellar.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:07 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Carly Fiorina: She did extremely well yesterday, but it still bothers me a lot that we have people who think they should be President who have never even once run for public office.
It bothers me that we have some Senators who run for President who have never run anything at all. They held jobs as lawyers/consultants/advisors or held local jobs as legislators before they ran for the Senate. They deliberately chose a career path where they would not have to make big decisions, handle crises, have a large number of people under them, manage a large budget. As lawyers, their skills include obfuscating and lying for their clients. Their primary jobs include voting and making speeches and every once in awhile they introduce legislation. Their "foreign affairs" experience is fact-finding and knowing things. They are not doers, they are talkers.

So, I'm more impressed with the candidates that are business people and governors. Even the surgeon running was the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery not just a doctor and has more experience running things (decisions, crises, budget, responsibility) than one of the Senators running for President.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:27 PM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
according to records, she did real well with Hp

from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Fiorina

she is more than '''just a CEO'''

ifshe cuts my ATT bill in 1/2 I will vote for her!

Old 08-07-2015, 03:46 PM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Christie will fight for America- he will fight period, give anyone knuckle sandwich
Rubio- lies --come clean first
Carson-The Dr- altruistic - PSS- they not that smart in congress- you will get too frustrated talking to children!
Walker - zzzzzz
Trump- bully- bla bla bla -all bout the money-- only about the money
Busch - maybe you will lose soon and go "whew"-- and still have face with the family!
Huckabee- only small part of the base- never pull it off - tunnel vision
Cruz-- ugh- is it the Canadian side or the Cuban side? the anger blows out his nose
Paul -OH Paul -- maybe during the Eisenhower years ?? not now
Kasich- who? nice guy but who?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 PM

3,315 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Carly did a good job speaking, I can't say otherwise. I'm not necessarily impressed with her record nor her tendency to marginalize those who were in the past subject to the short end of her profit-generating decisions.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-07-2015 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: inappropriate

Old 08-07-2015, 06:24 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most CEOs are clueless when it comes to tech. They have people who take care of that sort of stuff.

Does anyone think Trump is sitting around in his tidy whities at 3:00am , hitting Twitter?
I think you mean tighty whities. You didn't really think that expression had to do with neat underwear, right?

Old 08-08-2015, 03:36 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This is the Republican Party we're talking about. These jingoistic know-nothings have proven time and time again they love nothing more than a circus. Trump better pray Adam Sandler doesn't announce - Sandler would fart joke his way to the top of the Republican Party polls in less than three days. If you want seriousness and levity, you need to tune in to the Democrats.
The only way Sandler could ever win would be to move to Minnesota and become a democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies