Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won in your opinion the 9 pm debate
Trump 71 42.77%
Bush 3 1.81%
Huckabee 3 1.81%
Walker 1 0.60%
Carson 9 5.42%
Paul 6 3.61%
Christie 5 3.01%
Kasick 28 16.87%
Cruz 13 7.83%
Rubio 27 16.27%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 08:36 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times

Advertisements

I think that when it comes to personal character and integrity, two candidates rise to the top of the huge pile of contenders and those are Carson and Huckabee, neither of which can win the candidacy in my opinion. Sad but true. But I think they are both stellar men of intelligence and character and it's a shame that those aren't qualities that voters take more seriously.

I was pleasantly surprised by Rubio. And as much as I personally dislike Christie, I had to hand it to him that he is direct and not afraid to tackle what people DON'T want to hear head on. I was impressed with Kasich - I hadn't heard him talk much prior to this debate.

I like Scott Walker personally but I don't think he is very, well, Presidential. And Rand Paul - wow, he looks and acts like Alfred E Newman! I don't think either of them have a snowball's chance in hell.

As for Donald Trump - OMG what a buffoon. He needs to stick with what he knows best and that's ruthless business practices. He's a bombastic, ego-tripping loose cannon. Not at all Presidential in my opinion. He's too much of an ego driven hot head.

As for the second tier, I expect Carly Fiorina to move up to the top tier. Not sure if she could beat the Hillary Beast, but someone sure ought to snag her for the VP spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 AM

24,332 posts, read 17,065,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
His comment on political correctness in this country was spot on. We have far more important issues at hand!

The trouble with Not being PC means to many a return to the old days where Gays were stuck in the closet, minorities were second class citizens, and women were not far from that.

Many see Republicans and what they stand for as a return to those old days where "the old boys club" meant white Christian and all others need not apply.

Republicans need to get with the times to reach a broader audience of voters. It is possible to be conservative and PC at the same time.

A good Republican candidate will know how to walk that line and not pander to or bend over backwards for the PC crowd.

Getting this country back into shape and back to a level of respect worldwide will not be easy and it will not be popular but it needs to be done or we are doomed.

There are more important things than being PC and for the current commander in chief I would like to hear him utter the phrase "muslim extremist terrorist". How can we beat an enemy if that enemy cannot even be named for what he is?

Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I didn't vote on who won, because there was no real winner, I do think Walker and Paul were the losers. Walkier was just not exciting and didn't impress me 1 bit: my husband, who is a Walker supporter was also disappointed in his showing. Not bad, just not good, which they all need a minute of fame. Paul, is just not what I want in my President and there was a time I really liked him.

I think the ones that maybe climbed up some were Rubio and even Ben Carson, but they have to do a lot of climbing to reach the top. I don't think Trump helped himself one bit, but how much he hurt himself I really don't know.
I agree with you on Rubio but not on Carson. It seemed like he got very little time and was way too soft-spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I thought Trump won but Rand was brilliant, Rubio touched a nerve, Kasich was probably the most Presidential sounding in my opinion, and Walker wasn't bad.
Trump. People keep watching him for the entertainment value. I'm ready to hear HOW he's going to get Mexico to build that wall. Everyone will watch him but few will vote for him, iMO.

Kasich totally impressed me and I can't believe I'ms saying that.

Rand didn't have a good night - as the Donald pointed out and Hucksterbee just came across like a ranting and raving old man. I couldn't tell he if was at a presidential debate or a tent revival.

Carson - ho humm.

Rubio . . .I thought he did pretty good.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I like how he evolved on pro-life. He said that a friend was considering abortion and decided against it. He now knows the child and is thankful they chose not to abort.
Oh jeez. That was SO canned and rehearsed.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,806,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"Something big" happens to Hillary on a regular basis, but none of it seems to faze her supporters. It's crazy.
I know.

I think the problem is that there are no choices. If you are pro abortion, pro gay marriage, against guns, in favor of amnesty, legalization of drugs, and/or socialized heath care who else can you vote for that isn't Hillary.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 AM

1,204 posts, read 870,306 times
Fully realize that this stuff is very early in the game. I did not see the debate- no cable. For full disclosure I am a Rino/Dino.

In reading the blow by blow and the summaries of who won, the Republicans are an extremely divided party. Tried to keep track of the "winners" lists in the posts. It appears to be no consensus among the conservative/republicans on who won based on postings here.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:42 AM

39,024 posts, read 51,075,331 times
Walker was the big loser last night with a dreadfully boring, empty performance. The online polls confirm that.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you there. I think she looks all right, ( pretty, classy) and she is a very smart woman.
There is a difference between true intelligence and pithiness.
By the way, she also lied by saying there was clear incontrivertible
evidence that Bashar al-Assad "gassed his own people". That has
been PROVEN to be a falsehood, because it was the US/Turkish/Saudi/Israeli-backed
mercenaries which were given those chemical weapons to create a false flag
reason to justify the overthrow of the Assad government.
I am tired of the lies and manipulation, and the misrepresentation of facts !!!
As a people we cannot afford to tolerate LIES in our media, especially those
lies involving crucial matters of LIFE and DEATH for nations and their people.
Another example was they said that Russia launched the cyber-attack against
the Chief of Staff. That has NOT been confirmed by the Pentagon, the President
nor by any U.S. intelligence agency at all !
I do not want this nation dragged into meaningless conflicts with other sovereign
powers who are not evil and are only trying to manage their countries without
the dreaded hegemony of unsolicited U.S. interference !!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,001,450 times
I'm sure the people bashing Kelly over her question for Trump are mainly Trump supporters. What this mainly serves to hightlight is how stupid the average Trump supporter is (to use a rhetorical technique that the average Trump supporter apparently appreciates ).

Does anyone think his boorish comments about women will not become an issue in the general election if the Republicans are foolish enough to nominate him? Of course they will, they will be played over and over in an endless loop of TV ads, and it will drive many women voters away from Trump. She was right to put him on the spot about it.

What was clear last night is that Trump has no plan for the country. He's just one sound bite after another.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
I would eliminate the ones who have been in Washington for years as it clearly shows noting really changed unless they Governed a State and make a huge difference and therefore can be reconsidered.

I thought Walker was kind of invisible but therefore he wasn't bad to me as he gave clear answers but it was more the evening of Charisma or trying to get the most speaking time like Rand Paul clearly wanted to get and miserable failed to get that as a benefit but hurting his changes with his strange answers.

I was with Christie on the NSA papers although I don't like being watched 24/7 but I always think that it must be a waste to watch me 24/7 and nothing to be there that they can't find so they will move on faster but how do you know if a 80 year old can be trusted or not as ISIS is throwing into their war game, kids, elderly, women, animals and anything they can get their hands on as they don't respect life and don't seem to have feelings.

Rand Paul seems to be very naïve on that point and the bill of rights is not just cutting it in today's war game.

Trump was amusing and speaking his mind and if you place yourself in his shoes and getting these ridiculous questions thrown at you to just make you look bad then I have to give him an award for not losing it and answering every question.

How would Megyn feel if she would be put on the spot about her calling her first husband "boring and how she felt in that marriage"! I thought it was a cheap shot and maybe a fair question but he gave her a fair answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies