Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won in your opinion the 9 pm debate
Trump 71 42.77%
Bush 3 1.81%
Huckabee 3 1.81%
Walker 1 0.60%
Carson 9 5.42%
Paul 6 3.61%
Christie 5 3.01%
Kasick 28 16.87%
Cruz 13 7.83%
Rubio 27 16.27%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:44 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times

Advertisements

It really appeared to me that Jeb Bush had prior access to the questions and got total softballs.

I think Trump did well in the face of blatant attacks. Megyn Kelly was very disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 05:52 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,582 times
I came away interested in hearing more from Kasich, Rubio, and Carson.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:53 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Although I don't care for Huck, he seemed to be the only one who understands that social security isn't the governments money.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Although I don't care for Huck, he seemed to be the only one who understands that social security isn't the governments money.
Christie was awful in his position that he would still give money to Israel while cutting S.S. benefits for those here that have paid into it for years.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
If you disregard hardball vs. softball questions, Cruz and Huckabee had the best moments.

If you do take into account hardball questions, then Trump won. They tried to take him down, and he held his own.

Walker, Carson, Kasich, Christie -- they all did well.

Rubio and Bush did well - but only because they got softball questions.

Rand Paul was the clear loser -- his attempts to take on Christie and Trump were a major "fail." Fiorina will probably take his place in the top ten.

How so? By speaking the truth, and knowing the Constitution? I'll say this Trump was entertaining to say the least. He talks a good game, but then again he was after all a star in his own reality tv show. But Christie and Trump further proved last night the hacks that they really are. Paul was absolutely correct in terms of how to deal with ISIS, and that is TO STOP ARMING THEM! Or do we honestly think that our government wasn't complicit in providing weapons to people in the middle east? Hmmm let's see, we meddle in that region, a region that has been and continues to be a**backwards, and bring all sorts of weaponry over there.... Gee.... what did we think was going to happen? He was absolutely correct about violating the 4th Amendment as well, when he said to stop using illegal surveillance on American citzens and use it on terrorists. Finally, he is also correct in saying that he does not want his guns or marriage registered in Washington!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
I didn't vote on who won, because there was no real winner, I do think Walker and Paul were the losers. Walkier was just not exciting and didn't impress me 1 bit: my husband, who is a Walker supporter was also disappointed in his showing. Not bad, just not good, which they all need a minute of fame. Paul, is just not what I want in my President and there was a time I really liked him.

I think the ones that maybe climbed up some were Rubio and even Ben Carson, but they have to do a lot of climbing to reach the top. I don't think Trump helped himself one bit, but how much he hurt himself I really don't know.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
I don't trust polls much. They tried to say that Jeb Bush handled himself well and people were interested in him. I thought he took many hits in the debate and didn't do much to distinguish himself as anything other than the candidate of privilege.
The powers that be want it to be Bush vs. Hillary. maybe Hillary serves a term and then Bush the next two. Its up to us, the people, to keep those two monstrosities out of office at any cost. We need a regime change, 20 years has been too long.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
It really seemed like Jeb Bush had prior access to the questions before the debate. He had almost rehearsed answers, but he still sucked, lol.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:01 AM

6,231 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Full disclosure: I am an independent, not a Republican.

Bush - His personality is as beige as his pants, but he did a good job articulating his record as FL's governor. Did not clarify how giving illegals a path to citizenship is different from amnesty. Can we trust lawbreakers who've thus far evaded taxes to pay a fee and back taxes? Yeah, right.

Christie - Held his own when attacked on NSA, the Obama hug (which was scuzzy of Paul; are we not allowed to touch people of different political parties now?), and NJ's budget woes. But the best defense is offense and he was mostly defense.

Walker - I thought he would use this chance to vault himself into the #2 spot favored by the establishment (after Bush), but he was pretty forgettable, except wanting a woman who was the victim or rape or incest or would die in childbirth to be forced to go through with it. Did he present some facts on how he's improved WI? If he did I can't remember.

Kasich - Did an excellent job touting his accomplishments as governor, would appeal to moderates. That said he's too liberal for the base.

Carson - Did he use an anesthesiologist for his surgeries, or just put his patients to sleep with the sound of his voice? The man is a deep thinker and has a lot of conviction, but very weak on foreign affairs and economic policy. He should be in charge of something, just not the free world.

Cruz - Who said this guy is a great orator? Every time he speaks he stares into the camera and pleads like he's praying to the viewer. You can tell he's rehearsed every syllable a million times in the mirror, and thinks if he begs hard enough we'll agree with him. Negative points for being a Canadian citizen up until last year. Thinks Obama is running again.

Huckabee - Likeable, Southern personality, but too conservative to appeal to moderates.

Paul - Passionate in his defense of civil liberties, smart to mention outreach to communities that don't traditionally vote Republican, lots of energy, not a warmonger. Unfortunately wants to cut all aid to the only democracy in the crazy Middle East.

Rubio - Delivers his canned speeches and cliched phrases ("a new American century") much better than Cruz. Flip-flopped on immigration and lied about the circumstances under which his parents emigrated, but was never called out on it. I believe he's a very ambitious career politician; we will be seeing much more of him for years to come.

Trump - Tough, no-nonsense, a real person in the real world. Has jobs and immigration as his highest priority, which the country needs. Should offer more specifics though. Was unfairly attacked about irrelevant reality show stuff. Despite what the pundits say, would appeal to independents because I don't believe he would prioritize right-wing social issues like repealing gay marriage, banning abortion, re-criminalizing marijuana in legal states, etc. I want him to win it all.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
I agree with some of your post, especially about trump, but disagree about Rand and wiretapping. Christie was very disingenuous when he pretended you have to target everybody to find the terrorists. The Israelis protect their airport by profiling and it works for them. I will never be a terrorist but if Christie was president I would be targeted.

Carson was thoughtful and excellent for his first debate.

Trump really did well for being attracked by all sides, although that might backfire. Megan was a jackass and actually said that she had a plan for dealing with trump. WTF? Her questions were stupid and self serving, when we have huge issues facing America . She asked basically why did he call some girls names .really? That's the best question in a national debate when our country is struggling?WTF again.
You win debates by turning things to your advantage, and Christie capitalized on that comment and Paul took a beating. Huckabee masters the skill of making good points out of almost anything, like the transgender issue in the military. He used it to wrap a much bigger point around it, and ended up promoting himself as a "man of principles". Very skillful.

As for the moderation, the presidential elections are too important to allow people like those mods to influence public opinion like that. It was not just the mods, it was also the post-debate session with those 'audience' which was clearly staged to tear down Trump. The organizers were very biased. They made it so obvious, that it might end up helping Trump as opposed to hurting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies