Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times

Advertisements

Your analogy did not really work for me, because you decontextualized the situation by neglecting to mention that Tennessee had been occupying and stealing Kentucky's land for 40 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
Please read my previous post it would be an excellent education for you. Read it and replace the words San Salvadore and Mexico for Ky. and Tenn.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 PM

540 posts, read 629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Your analogy did not really work for me, because you decontextualized the situation by neglecting to mention that Tennessee had been occupying and stealing Kentucky's land for 40 years.
The original poster asked us not to do this but I will make one response to the silliness of that statement.
The Bible is at least 5000 years old and probably older. Not to throw in any religious context but it is probably as good a historical document as we have to address your statement. Though in those days no one actually claimed the land, over the years, kingdoms came and went and they kind of hob nobbed togeather or against one another and probably that one piece of turf has exchanged hands dozens of times if not hundreds of times.
I am not going to dignify your question beyond that.

While we are here though please address the question that if you lived in Tenn. would you give them a pass or would you react? In fact, just what would you do to resolve the problem at hand? Remember my statement about the vast resources of the Middle East. Excuse me, vast extorted resources of the middle east.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM

We aren't living in biblical times now, we have things like the UN, the Geneva conventions, and international law, which at least in theory are supposed to be applied. Building settlements and moving foreign populations onto captured territories violate all of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
The original poster asked us not to do this but I will make one response to the silliness of that statement.
The Bible is at least 5000 years old and probably older. Not to throw in any religious context but it is probably as good a historical document as we have to address your statement. Though in those days no one actually claimed the land, over the years, kingdoms came and went and they kind of hob nobbed togeather or against one another and probably that one piece of turf has exchanged hands dozens of times if not hundreds of times.
I am not going to dignify your question beyond that.

While we are here though please address the question that if you lived in Tenn. would you give them a pass or would you react? In fact, just what would you do to resolve the problem at hand? Remember my statement about the vast resources of the Middle East. Excuse me, vast extorted resources of the middle east.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
It is also a war crime to use civilians as shields against enemy soldiers.
With Hezbolla hiding in civilian neighborhoods and launching their "little killing rockets" from civilian populations they also are committing war crimes.

That however does not imply I think that Israel is committing a war crime as common standards of self defense do include preemptive attacks................

Old 01-03-2009, 10:23 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
This is how it works folks. A person creates a topic, and in doing so starts a thread. Posters respond if they wish to the statements and assertions in the topic starter that relate to that topic and so thus goes the conversation about that topic.

The topic here is rather specific and clearly defined and so thus the responses should relate to this topic. While I realize conversations will drift, I am giving less freedom of drift here in light of the already many threads on the history and make up of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, this is not one of them.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
The response from Hamas was that these rockets were in response to Israel's failure to recognize Hamas as the legitimate, democratically elected government.

This is what I mean about us being able to take this back 1500 years in a never ending cycle of violence.

In any case, is it justified for Israel to use collective punishment against people who did not attack Israel? I understand that Israel has a right to retaliate when it is attacked, but is it ok to attack an entire populace for acts of a few? Where do we draw the line of what we consider is legitimate response?

I understand that terrorist and militants will act like, well, terrorist, but I expect a different response from an ally that is as close as Israel to act like the enlightened society they claim to be.
Hamas is to blame here. They use their women and children as shields and continue to attack Israel--in effect, putting Israel between the proverbial rock and hard place. If Israel doesn't attack, because to do so would ensure the death of the Palestinian innocents being used as shields, they then allow their own citizens to continue to be killed. If they do attack, Palestinian innocent citizens are killed, and Israel is villified. Precisely the outcome that Hamas wants. The only thing that will satisfy Hamas is the death of Israel and the removal of all Jews from the Middle East. Hamas is a terrorist organization. If Palestinians are getting killed because of Israel's DEFENSIVE attack, then the Palestinians--and the world--should be blaming Hamas, not Israel.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Hamas is to blame here. They use their women and children as shields and continue to attack Israel--in effect, putting Israel between the proverbial rock and hard place. If Israel doesn't attack, because to do so would ensure the death of the Palestinian innocents being used as shields, they then allow their own citizens to continue to be killed. If they do attack, Palestinian innocent citizens are killed, and Israel is villified. Precisely the outcome that Hamas wants. The only thing that will satisfy Hamas is the death of Israel and the removal of all Jews from the Middle East. Hamas is a terrorist organization. If Palestinians are getting killed because of Israel's DEFENSIVE attack, then the Palestinians--and the world--should be blaming Hamas, not Israel.
That is correct.

There are indeed war crimes taking place here. But, contrary to popular CD opinion, it is NOT Israel who is committing said crimes.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
The response from Hamas was that these rockets were in response to Israel's failure to recognize Hamas as the legitimate, democratically elected government.
That's not so bad. I mean, hamas doesn't even recognize Israel's right to even exist and in their charter it gets even better.

So why should Israel and the other countries that consider hamas a terrorist organization give hamas the legitimacy they desire.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:39 PM

because you make peace with your enemies, not friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That's not so bad. I mean, hamas doesn't even recognize Israel's right to even exist and in their charter it gets even better.

So why should Israel and the other countries that consider hamas a terrorist organization give hamas the legitimacy they desire.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
because you make peace with your enemies, not friends
After you defeat them, yes.

You might be too young to realize that in our recent history, only when there has been a winner and a loser in conflict, can peace then be achieved. The conflicts that continue through truces, cease-fires, tit-for-tats, seem to fester and break out again and again with no peace in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies