Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 01:56 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Scot Walker does not support abortion in cases of incest, rape, or the life of the mother.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/after-t...098546897.html

I work in medicine and I can tell you that there are definite cases in which the mother will die unless the pregnancy is terminated.

Also in the case of incest; it has been my experience that most incest pregnancies are in young girls who have just entered puberty, around the age of 12, and have been repeatedly molested by their father from young childhood. These are cases of children forced to have children and the offspring often has extreme chromosomal abnormalities.

Being required to carry a pregnancy when one's life is at risk or one has been raped or molested, is again victimizing the victim.
What kind of medicine do you work in? Most doctors say mothers lives are not in danger if they have the baby. The only time a mother is in danger is with ectopic pregnancies and no one has a problem with stopping a pregnancy when that happens since both mother and baby will definitely die.

Also, incest does not necessarily result in children with physical problems and PP will do the abortion and send the child back to the abuser to do the same thing over and over again.

As for rape, you are victimizing the baby who is also an innocent, so why punish the child for the sin of the father? There are many people living today who are the products of rape. Of course, the mothers need a lot of help but now society would rather get rid of the baby instead of helping both mother and child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Again, I work in the medical field. I spent the better part of a day saving the life of a young mother who arrived from a catholic medical center that refused to terminate her pregnancy because there was a fetal heartbeat. This woman was bleeding to death from the part of the uterus that the placenta ripped away from. There was still enough placenta to maintain the fetus, at least until the mother died from DIC. This woman was about 22 weeks pregnant. The uterine blood vessels are right off the aorta and after the placenta disengages from the uterus, the uterus must contract down to stop the blood flow from open blood vessels (which cannot occur if the fetus prevents the uterus from contracting). We can replace blood to the mother but after so much bleeding, the blood fails to clot and the mother will bleed from everywhere and die (DIC). The only way to save one life is to terminate the pregnancy so that the uterus can contract and close off the the blood vessels that are literally right off the aorta.

I could go into other medical conditions of pregnancy that cause death of the mother as well.
Personal anecdotes are interesting but hardly prove anything. I stand by what I said, which to repeat was that mothers very often - in fact, usually DO survive every single condition you listed - and often successfully carry pregnancies to the point of fetal viability in fact.

Quote:
BTW, what are your credentials that give you authority to make this statement?

" Both mother and child can and often do survive eclampsia, as well as placental abruption and even sepsis."
I don't have to have "credentials" for that statement to be true. But don't take my word for it. Here are a few sources that verify my position:

According to the Preeclampsia Foundation:
Quote:
"In the developed world, eclampsia is rare and usually treatable if appropriate intervention is promptly sought,"
Eclampsia: 5 things you need to know - CNN.com

Quote:
maternal sepsis nowadays accounts for a small proportion
of maternal deaths in high-income countries
Quote:
Nowadays, in most high-income countries, maternal
mortality is too rare to be used as a sensitive marker for
the quality of care
Quote:
case fatality rates of 3.5 and
14.3%
were reported for maternal sepsis from GAS in the
United States and the Netherlands, respectively
By the way, abortion is not required or even recommended as any sort of "treatment" for sepsis during pregnancy. Abortion or delivery of the baby had absolutely no impact on the outcome of sepsis during pregnancy. The treatment is basically antibiotics, low-dose steroids, glucose control and ventilation goals.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
However, the stance of the Catholic church is that a pregnancy cannot be intentionally terminated just to save the life of the mother. The Catholic Church and Abortion - For Dummies
I would not recommend going to "The Catholic Church for Dummies" publications for answers to complex theological issues.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I don't think we can say what we would do if we were raped. I don't think we have any idea how we would feel. Thank God, I have never had to make a choice about whether or not to carry my rapist's child, but I am not going to say what I would do. I also don't have a young daughter who is pregnant, so I don't know how I would feel then either. It is easy to say one would do something when we are not actually faced with the choice.

As far as the life of the mother being in danger, I know a lady who was told if she carried her child to term it would kill her. She had a heart condition, and she had a medical abortion. She does not regret it and neither do her husband and other child.
And prior to Roe v Wade, abortions for any of these conditions were legal.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:31 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
*waves hand* Hi. I'm in that 1%.

Would I have died? Maybe not. But I would have needed be on bedrest from 3 months on (impossible as a young person already barely making it with roommates financially due to cancer - I would have no way to stay afloat and pay for the extensive medical support I would need to keep myself and the fetus alive without being able to go to work), would risk my cancer relapsing, and also risk augmenting my existing life-long complications that already exist as a result of cancer.

Finances aside, my oncologist strongly recommended I have an abortion which is exactly what I did at 5 weeks. It was incredibly painful as I have spent the past few years mourning what I thought was infertility due to cancer. Despite the expectation of infertility, I still took the pill just in case. It failed.

I laugh in the face of anyone who calls themself pro-life who also claims that my situation does not exist. I am not the only young adult cancer survivor I know to have faced similar dire decisions.
You sound proud to be in a "I got an abortion to save my life" statistic. Your first sentence sounds callous.

I knew a girl (peripherally) here in Massachusetts who refused chemo for breast cancer treatment so that she could give birth to her third child. She eventually died from it. I'm not sure how she viewed abortion because I never had that conversation with her but she obviously viewed her pregnancy as what it actually was...her third child.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:40 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Stop with the hyperbole Abortion is NOT the torturing or killing of innocent babies! You need to educate yourself on the differences between a zygote, embryo, fetus, and baby.
Like Clinton said, 'It depends on what the meaning of the word is, is"!

Many a premature "fetus'" has been delivered and lived to grow into an adult.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You sound proud to be in a "I got an abortion to save my life" statistic. Your first sentence sounds callous.

I knew a girl (peripherally) here in Massachusetts who refused chemo for breast cancer treatment so that she could give birth to her third child. She eventually died from it. I'm not sure how she viewed abortion because I never had that conversation with her but she obviously viewed her pregnancy as what it actually was...her third child.
I personally knew a woman in the same situation in Georgia, who chose to give life to her child rather than take cancer treatments that would kill the child. Her child lived and she died about three years later. She was told she would never make it out of the delivery room or hold her child - that didn't happen. Then she was told she would never see her child's first birthday - that didn't happen.

It was a very sad case, but it was the decision she and her husband both felt was right. Personally, I am not sure I would have made that decision - I say that but then I see their beautiful daughter who is now a young mother herself and I'm not so sure.

Tough, tough choices which is why I do support a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy if in fact her life is seriously endangered. But I also support any woman who chooses to lay down her life for the life of her child. In fact, that's heroic in my opinion - but heroes are heroes because they do what most people probably could not do.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:45 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
Quote:
Scot Walker does not support abortion in cases of incest, rape, or the life of the mother.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/after-t...098546897.html

I work in medicine and I can tell you that there are definite cases in which the mother will die unless the pregnancy is terminated.

Also in the case of incest; it has been my experience that most incest pregnancies are in young girls who have just entered puberty, around the age of 12, and have been repeatedly molested by their father from young childhood. These are cases of children forced to have children and the offspring often has extreme chromosomal abnormalities.

Being required to carry a pregnancy when one's life is at risk or one has been raped or molested, is again victimizing the victim.
No problem if the life of the mother is truly at risk but since that is about .001% of cases this is really a red herring.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:49 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Like Clinton said, 'It depends on what the meaning of the word is, is"!

Many a premature "fetus'" has been delivered and lived to grow into an adult.
Yes, but those fetuses are beyond the point of viability and it would be illegal to abort them. So, what's your point?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Yes, but those fetuses are beyond the point of viability and it would be illegal to abort them. So, what's your point?
So you believe it's illegal to abort a baby beyond, say, 24 weeks? Can you please give a source for this information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies