Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Your link showed that many states allow late term abortions for a variety of reasons - some related to the health of the mother, some a complete free for all, various laws, etc - but the fact is that a significant chunk of states allow late term abortions. I asked you to post a source showing that late term abortions were outlawed in this nation, and what you posted showed that they are outlawed in varying degrees in some state, and not outlawed at all in others. So thanks for the information.
My link shows that only 7 allow for late term without restrictions, which is what I was discussing. All of the others to which you refer, allow it only for situations relating to the mother's health - there are no diversions from this requirement, no "various laws" - which had already been discussed by you and others, and to which most right wingers agree. I was arguing that late term abortions for reasons other than maternal health/fetal defect were illegal across the US, which, as I've already stated, was incorrect.

No matter how much you try to spin it, there are only 7 states that have no restrictions regarding abortion - not many, but a few of the 50 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:31 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
My link shows that only 7 allow for late term without restrictions, which is what I was discussing. All of the others to which you refer, allow it only for situations relating to the mother's health - there are no diversions from this requirement, no "various laws" - which had already been discussed by you and others, and to which most right wingers agree. I was arguing that late term abortions for reasons other than maternal health/fetal defect were illegal across the US, which, as I've already stated, was incorrect.

No matter how much you try to spin it, there are only 7 states that have no restrictions regarding abortion - not many, but a few of the 50 states.
There are none that allow abortions without restrictions. Federal law does trump state law. All states are regulated.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1531

Old 08-09-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are none that allow abortions without restrictions. Federal law does trump state law. All states are regulated.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:02 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

There is a federal law making illegal entry into this country... illegal.
Also, there are federal laws making marijuana a schedule 1 drug with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. <<<DUMB AS A BRICK!

The point is, the government has no intention of actually enforcing their laws. This is why many states now have pro-medical marijuana laws and even pro-recreational laws. This is why there are sanctuary cities, so even local laws at the city level ignore federal laws.

It's exactly the same thing with abortion laws. This is how these doctors with no conscience get away with what they do. I guarantee there are hundreds of Gosnell's out there.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post

I posted, not sure what thread, a link with a list of late term clinics in the US I had always thought there were only 5 that did late term, but then I never took into account the restrictions a clinic might have on them.

it would only add to the heartache, stress and emotional turmoil a woman already experiences who needs a late term medical abortion, if she had to check with a bunch of clinics only to find one that will accept her and her/child's medical conditions.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
There is a federal law making illegal entry into this country... illegal.
Also, there are federal laws making marijuana a schedule 1 drug with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. <<<DUMB AS A BRICK!

The point is, the government has no intention of actually enforcing their laws. This is why many states now have pro-medical marijuana laws and even pro-recreational laws. This is why there are sanctuary cities, so even local laws at the city level ignore federal laws.

It's exactly the same thing with abortion laws. This is how these doctors with no conscience get away with what they do. I guarantee there are hundreds of Gosnell's out there.
I'll guarantee there isn't. This is not an easy procedure or one easily hid from the public. Does it happen? Of course, all laws are broken by someone but you don't walk into a clinic 7 months pregnant and walk out not pregnant and have no one question it.

There are groups that would be all over this. Word gets around.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
The woman is the life giver, who likely can get pregnant again. Why ever take a chance on allowing her to die over a difficult pregnancy?

Old 08-09-2015, 01:17 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
I am a pro-lifer, generally, but I am against outlawing abortions (other than late term abortions) and I think the decision should ultimately belong to the mother. And you definitely can't force a woman to die carrying a child. This is just wrong. Although I do know of someone who deliberately refused cancer treatment to carry a child to full term. But that was her decision, not the one imposed on her by the state.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I am a pro-lifer, generally, but I am against outlawing abortions (other than late term abortions) and I think the decision should ultimately belong to the mother. And you definitely can't force a woman to die carrying a child. This is just wrong. Although I do know of someone who deliberately refused cancer treatment to carry a child to full term. But that was her decision, not the one imposed on her by the state.
I think you are actually pro-choice. I am, and I agree 100% with your post.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:21 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Who works for or owns the business. It's all for $$$$$$. I know it's uncomfortable to face the reality.
And doctors shouldn't get paid when they provide a service?

How about the people who work in the adoption industry? They get paid for their services too.

Couldn't we call that making money in the flesh trade? Couldn't we say they are selling children for money? After all, that is what they do to earn their paychecks. They "facilitate" adoptions......for a price. $$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies