Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:23 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times

Advertisements

How many of you know someone who has been raped? What if the rape itself and the thought of carrying the rapist's child would do serious psychological damage to the mother? Should she still be forced to carry the child of the person who hurt her so badly? Not in my opinion. I know the child is innocent, but so is the mother. She has rights too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 02:31 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
How many of you know someone who has been raped? What if the rape itself and the thought of carrying the rapist's child would do serious psychological damage to the mother? Should she still be forced to carry the child of the person who hurt her so badly? Not in my opinion. I know the child is innocent, but so is the mother. She has rights too.
What the mother really needs in this case is psychological help for she cannot win. Abortion does not make is so you were never pregnant. It makes you the mother of a dead baby. How does a woman rationalize as her response to being victimized by someone stronger than her killing someone weaker than her? Is this something she can live with? I'm not convinced that killing someone else will make the rape victim feel any better. Some women come to view that child as the only good thing to come out of a very bad experience.

Fortunately, we have Plan B available OTC today so the rape victim never needs to know if she would have gotten pregnant as a result of the rape. I consider that a much better option for the victim. Once you know you have to decide to terminate another life and that can be a difficult decision and difficult to live with. IMO no matter what the rape victim decides she has a hard row to hoe.

I will say I'm glad my mother did not kill me and I HATE being the poster child for abortion. You are correct that the baby is innocent. I am just as human and deserving of life as the rest of you. It was my father who attacked my mother not me.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
*waves hand* Hi. I'm in that 1%.

Would I have died? Maybe not. But I would have needed be on bedrest from 3 months on (impossible as a young person already barely making it with roommates financially due to cancer - I would have no way to stay afloat and pay for the extensive medical support I would need to keep myself and the fetus alive without being able to go to work), would risk my cancer relapsing, and also risk augmenting my existing life-long complications that already exist as a result of cancer.

Finances aside, my oncologist strongly recommended I have an abortion which is exactly what I did at 5 weeks. It was incredibly painful as I have spent the past few years mourning what I thought was infertility due to cancer. Despite the expectation of infertility, I still took the pill just in case. It failed.

I laugh in the face of anyone who calls themself pro-life who also claims that my situation does not exist. I am not the only young adult cancer survivor I know to have faced similar dire decisions.
my heart goes out to you. you had a tough decision to make, and you made it. in the end i think you made the best decision for you. i hope you can put it behind you and move forward and enjoy life as best you can. i also hope your cancer remains in remission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's my position too.

Actually, being a woman, if I were raped and got pregnant, I would actually choose to carry the child to term and then consider giving it up for adoption - but I wouldn't put that burden on someone else, that would be my own personal decision based on my own moral code. After all, just because I don't WANT a baby by a particular person doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. The baby isn't at fault or "faulty" just because of the conditions of conception.
i think in the case of rape, giving the child up for adoption is the best way to go, but if the mothers mental health is affected as a result of the rape, and she just cant handle carrying the child to full term, i can respect the decision to abort the fetus, painful as it is.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

i think in the case of rape, giving the child up for adoption is the best way to go, but if the mothers mental health is affected as a result of the rape, and she just cant handle carrying the child to full term, i can respect the decision to abort the fetus, painful as it is.
And that's why I said I wouldn't "die on that hill" if I were a politician. As someone with strong libertarian leanings, I can support the rights of lots of people in lots of different situations to make moral and lifestyle decisions that I wouldn't necessarily make myself.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:07 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
If the only abortions happened were because of rape, incest or actual risk to the mother we would not be having an abortion debate.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:12 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I will say I'm glad my mother did not kill me and I HATE being the poster child for abortion. You are correct that the baby is innocent. I am just as human and deserving of life as the rest of you. It was my father who attacked my mother not me.
This right here is worth being pointed out.

wow...

just wow....

Old 08-07-2015, 04:23 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Scot Walker does not support abortion in cases of incest, rape, or the life of the mother.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/after-t...098546897.html

I work in medicine and I can tell you that there are definite cases in which the mother will die unless the pregnancy is terminated.

Also in the case of incest; it has been my experience that most incest pregnancies are in young girls who have just entered puberty, around the age of 12, and have been repeatedly molested by their father from young childhood. These are cases of children forced to have children and the offspring often has extreme chromosomal abnormalities.

Being required to carry a pregnancy when one's life is at risk or one has been raped or molested, is again victimizing the victim.
A simple question. Which life do you prefer, the mother or the child?

One will die and one will live. Choose one.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:25 PM

50 posts, read 49,917 times
Yes, after the point of viability serious reasons like life of the mother are the only acceptable exceptions. "Choice" without restriction all the way until the end of the pregnancy, which is the official line of the Democratic party, is both extreme and evil. I favor the death penalty for those who perform late term abortions for elective purposes and prison for the mothers involved.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
A simple question. Which life do you prefer, the mother or the child?

One will die and one will live. Choose one.

Or both will die if the pregnancy is not terminated.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Hmmm. Ectopic pregnancy will kill both mother and fetus. What then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies