Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 04:45 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
On top of all the stress and BS I have to deal at work. Mind you, I work as a Manufacturing Engineer, the least favorite part of my job is dealing with union thugs.

Last week, I had to conduct a time study because we made some improvements to our machines and I was trying to get an average time on how long it takes to do one particular set of operations for one of our drilling machines.

The union steward came to my office and said that he wanted to supervise the entire time study. I said "No!" Per our contract, the steward has the right to review our study after it is done but this guy has no business being there while we are doing it. Not to mention that he is part of our maintenance crew and we really need him to assist with some of the ongoing projects we are doing.

Long story short, I almost got into a shouting match with this idiot. For those of you who stand up for unions, if you only knew what I have to deal with on a daily basis- Trust me, after more than 20 years in Manufacturing, I wish unions were outlawed.

We all have our crosses to bear at work. I have to deal with attorneys. And look who airline stewards have to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:59 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Explotive corps? Do you really believe a person with a high school education who works 8 hours a day tightening a screw is worth 23 bucks/hr?

I have an Engineering degree and I had to sacrifice 4 years of my life to get it. I did a financial projection last month and for a plant of 700 people, we would save on average $20000/worker by relocating to a place like South Carolina where they would be making 10 dollars less per hour, people are much more motivated to work hard and you don't have to deal with half of the bull****.

700 * 20000= $14 million/year
Why not. Who are you to say how much someone is worth. And unions pay so that people can actually live off of their salary. Would you rather this person with a high school education go work at mcdonalds for minimum wage. Would that make you feel better.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:46 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Excellent post. The op is an obvious conservative shill attempting to spread anti union propaganda. You will see a resurgence of unions in the near future as workers start to realize their rights are slowly being eroded by business owners and corporate fat cats. I've already seen quite a few union bashers on here change their tune due to the abuses they are suffering at their respective workplaces these days.

Don't hold your breath till that happens. There are a dozen illegal aliens just waiting to take your "Union" Job, when you price yourself out of the Labor market. The Union has nothing to offer an employer or a Member anymore. People have gotten smart and have seen that Unions drive away good jobs, not make them dependable.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why not. Who are you to say how much someone is worth. And unions pay so that people can actually live off of their salary. Would you rather this person with a high school education go work at mcdonalds for minimum wage. Would that make you feel better.
There is no defense anyone can use for a Union. In my own town, Unions have run out two of the best paying sources of employment in the area, and the highest paying. Union members bragged about working only a half day, and getting paid for a whole day, they think its cool when they sneak away from work and still get paid. They think its cool when they have a quota of making a 100 parts of something, in a shift, when a normal person can make 500 of them easy.

That's the "Brotherhood" as they say. They say that they take care of their own. One local Union offered to let the Company cut the pay of new employees almost in half, if the Company would give the ones retiring full benefits for life. Is that taking care of your "Brothers" to be? I saw another Union Employee loading a truck with a forklift, and he had one more pallet to put on the truck, with a half hour left until quitting time. This employee fooled around for most of the time left, and was almost to the back of the truck when 5 PM het the clock. He stopped, dropped the pallet, and clocked out, so he could come in the next day, load that one pallet and get paid for the day. Both Companies ended up moving out of town.

I have had more than my share of dealing with Unions, and they are mostly thugs, crooked and Lazy employees, that use the Union to cheat the employer, day after day. Unions are Dinosaurs, and will pass the same way.

Everything you hear defending the Unions is nothing more than Propaganda from those who have had their pockets lined by the Unions, at the expense of Citizens and employers, who pass the cost on to all of us. With a Union, all Production suffers, and cost of the finished product or Service rises sky high. These people will tell you anything to keep their "positions" with no fear of being fired for being worthless or Lazy. Been there, many times, right in the middle of it, and have seen it over and over again.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Don't hold your breath till that happens. There are a dozen illegal aliens just waiting to take your "Union" Job, when you price yourself out of the Labor market. The Union has nothing to offer an employer or a Member anymore. People have gotten smart and have seen that Unions drive away good jobs, not make them dependable.
The union I was a member of had a very large percentage of" illegals" when I first started there.....They are perhaps more aware of the good that a union does for workers than the complacent "upstanding citizens" Sadly our country is heading toward the sweatshops and corporate rape of the workers that they fled so many years ago..........

Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Sadly our country is heading toward the sweatshops and corporate rape of the workers that they fled so many years ago..........
Nope, Not True. That's the same lame excuse the Unions have used for decades, trying to strike fear into workers so they stay or join Unions. Like I said, I have been there, right in the middle of them, done that, and seen how they operate, so you can't change that with smoke and mirrors. The Unions are doing the raping now, and have gotten away with it a lot more than they should have. Now their end is coming, as it should.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Nope, Not True. That's the same lame excuse the Unions have used for decades, trying to strike fear into workers so they stay or join Unions. Like I said, I have been there, right in the middle of them, done that, and seen how they operate, so you can't change that with smoke and mirrors. The Unions are doing the raping now, and have gotten away with it a lot more than they should have. Now their end is coming, as it should.
As a member of a union family, I have to disagree with you. They look out for their employees. If you don't want to belong to a union then fine, but many do.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I work for a group of pencil necked mechanical engineers. I am a nuts and bolts, hands on guy with no desire what so ever to run my own business in the field I am in. Not one of my bosses are or ever were in a union. Their union workforce makes them plenty. A win win.
Getting the job takes a couple of hours. Performing the work takes several weeks/months. Hardly 90%.
Few can GET the job....many can perform the work. That's why sales is the highest paid profession on the planet.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yet, the lefties in big government have brainwashed these "useful idiots" into supporting illegal immigration.

Go figure.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
As a member of a union family, I have to disagree with you. They look out for their employees. If you don't want to belong to a union then fine, but many do.
And that's another reason to not like the unions. Way too much nepotism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies