Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I live in the area - 3 units responded (total of 6 officers) Officer Miller and his Training Officer were first on scene. Miller didn't follow orders. He approached Taylor on his own and got into an "altercation" (which we don't know about yet - but the Police certainly does) Miller's training Officer was using or attempting to use a Taser, Miller used his gun and pumped the obviously unarmed Taylor with 4 bullets.

Miller (age 49) has been fired and the case turned over to the Tarrant County District Attorney and a case will go before the Grand Jury. Odd thing about Miller's age - he is a Rookie who is still with his Trainer. I suspect that Miller is former Military & that could be why he did not follow the Protocols and jumped into the situation on his own (I'm basing that on his age, but it's also very possible he is a new transplant from another City.) Arlington has a good police Department and is among the minority in the USA for their stringent requirements to enter the Police Department. A 4 year degree is mandatory in almost all cases, many officers have advanced degrees. All new recruits must go through the Police Academy - it doesn't matter where you came from or how long you have been a police officer. Arlington Police is innovative & proactive - they had a program for Police Officers in schools beginning in 1984.

I checked out Christian Taylor by reading his Twitter account going back a year. Hard to believe he is the out of control guy in the video -- but he is. Drugs almost have to be involved, he has one small blip with a prescription drug from not too long ago and nothing that would indicate any gang activity that I could see. He was excited about starting college and his football scholarship. I fully expect the Tox reports to show some sort of drug or alcohol - this was not normal for him that I could tell.

I think the Chief of Police made the right call. I applaud the family & friends of Christian Taylor for the way they have handled such a tragic event. We will know more as the investigation continues.

We had a long thread on this when it happened .... several of us posted their will be no "riots" and why.
Looks like Arlington, TX might be next on the "hands up, don't shoot" riot list - CityData
Only thing I would add here is that I read somewhere... not sure where... that Officer Miller was not a transfer. no earlier police experience. at least I think I remember reading that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:35 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
For a seemingly normal guy to snap and resort to such actions would certainly seem to scream drugs or alcohol. Drugs or alcohol could explain the altercation and could lead to this being a clean shoot.

If the officer was wrong, he should pay for his mistake. He shouldn't be strung up before the evidence is presented and he has his day in court. Unfortunately, I think many people will be all too happy to attack this officer anyway.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:39 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
The Officer didn't follow protocol so I can understand the firing. The accounts I'm hearing say that the guy was coming at him and wouldn't stop. That's probably going to be the defense for the shooting. Big, crazy, out of control guy coming at you could certainly be construed as something that would cause you to be in fear for your life, whether or not he has a weapon.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:41 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
He was with his training officer and there is no video. Miller's firing must be based on testimony from the training officer saying that Miller broke protocols and didn't respond appropriately, as trained, to the situation.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:25 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I think the reference to the man as a "football player" IS designed to be inflammatory, and such "journalism" taints a potential jury pool. The use of lethal force may, indeed, be uncalled for in this case, but, it seems to me that the writer of the article should have been car more objective in the wording. Both the officer and the suspects guilt or innocence has not been examined yet. Seems , to me, the "reporter" has made up his mind, however.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:35 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I will concede that it is ridiculous that this kind of behavior is slowly becoming the norm, but I still don't see how a person jumping on cars and damaging property necessitates a shooting.

As Ferd said we need to wait to hear all of the details, but based on what you posted , I would say the officer was in the wrong.

Arrested? Yes. Serving jail time? Yes. Shot? You have to be kidding.

Doesn't matter why he was doing it.
He was destroying property. Not being a threat to other lives.
Especially in today's social climate, an officer had better damn well know that unless there is a legitimate threat to his safety he better not be shooting unarmed people.
Problem is the behavior was way out of the norm, inconsistent with a sane person. The perp was capable of who knows what, physical violence wasn't out of the question as his behavior was unpredictable.

what would he do if the cop came near him? Was he on drugs, hope so, otherwise he was mentally deranged. It is not as if he broke a wondow in an act of vandalism and got caught, stopped his actions and surrendered quietly. this idiot was full blown raging unpredictable criminal.

Wait for the details but unpredictable violent behavior would be a good reason to draw a gun. The damage he did was probably into felonious territory based on cost of the damage done.

Gang culture seeps into the community and this behavior is in conflict with civil society. Kill for being dissed is the new law of the land except when the killers are being killed, then they claim their rights are violated. Live by gang rules, die by gang rules. 'whatcha gonna do when they come for you". another perp whose name will dispalce the names of inncocent kids killed by the adopted gang culture

Old 08-12-2015, 05:47 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
At least in this case, I think there's an understanding of how it happened, and as I said I don't believe - based on
what I read - that the officer acted in bad faith. Rather the crazy and aggressive actions of the guy who got shot, combined with inexperience of the officer, resulted in a tragic outcome.

It's kind of crazy that out of all recent cases of police shootings, they picked this one to prosecute the officer involved. Even the kid's father seems to think it was a tragic accident.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:51 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
For a seemingly normal guy to snap and resort to such actions would certainly seem to scream drugs or alcohol. Drugs or alcohol could explain the altercation and could lead to this being a clean shoot.

If the officer was wrong, he should pay for his mistake. He shouldn't be strung up before the evidence is presented and he has his day in court. Unfortunately, I think many people will be all too happy to attack this officer anyway.
From what I read on - I think - USA Today, there was a bulge in this guy's pocket (later found to be his wallet and cell phone) which officer Miller thought was a gun, he ordered the guy to lay on the ground but instead he started walking towards Miller, who panicked and shot him. Given the circumstances, I'd panic too. He did break his training officer's orders, but this reflects even more poorly on the department than on Miller, to be honest. He should've been better trained.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
At least in this case, I think there's an understanding of how it happened, and as I said I don't believe - based on
what I read - that the officer acted in bad faith. Rather the crazy and aggressive actions of the guy who got shot, combined with inexperience of the officer, resulted in a tragic outcome.

It's kind of crazy that out of all recent cases of police shootings, they picked this one to prosecute the officer involved. Even the kid's father seems to think it was a tragic accident.
I'm guessing that the Rookie Police officer will be no billed by the Grand Jury - Police have a lot of latitude under the Law when they think they are endangered and he probably thought that.

On the other hand - I have to trust the judgement of his Trainer and the other officers at the scene. He did NOT show good judgement, he did NOT follow their protocols and he may (we should find out later after the investigation) have even disobeyed the order of his Trainer.

I've live here for over 40 years, been through several Police Chiefs and know how diligent the Arlington Police Department is and the very HIGH standards they employ. The Investigation is on-going, the Department is Transparent, the Police Chief found cause to Fire thed officer (and this is NOT a cowed, scardy cat, political correct to ridiculous City Government) AND the Family and Friends of Christian Taylor (they actually live in Mansfield, TX just South of Arlington) appear to feel as I do.

I can't help but notice once again that 2 important items are present in this case as they have been in ALL of these cases.

1. Drugs are involved - the Black males that dies had drugs in their system (tox report not in yet on Taylor.
2. In each and every case - the Black males refused to follow the instructions of the Police.

Folks - I'm white and I learned as a teenager from my Dad - "If you are stopped for ANY reason by the Police - follow their orders and don't sass them in any way". This is essential folks - IF a Police officer tells you to do something - just do it, particularly in a volatile situation.

It's kinda like pulling out in front of a Semi Truck or a Bus in a very small sports car .... NOT WISE.
They are a lot bigger than you are in that sports car and the end result is just about guaranteed to be bad for the little guy. Don't be stupid.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The Arlington PD powers took an immediate proactive and responsible stance.
They addressed the obvious issue that the officer violated protocol even before the shooting and his doing so is a fireable offense. They acknowledge that the issue of the shooting itself will properly be handled by a grand jury.
Further, the Arlington police chief reached out to Taylor's family and the family has said that the PD's actions are a "step in the right direction".

If other LE agencies (I'm looking at you, Ferguson) acted in an equally professional manner, rather than stonewalling, then there would be no riots.
More to the point was Eric Garner. The police chief admitted protocol was not followed there either but they did nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies