Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 05:07 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Lets put another 5 million guns out there; increasing the deaths of citizens by another 8,000 per year but somehow that is totally countered by another 660 folks claiming to have defended themselves successfully with a firearm.
Another anti gun nut totally out of touch with reality. It must really rub you the wrong way that your anti gun fantasy never actually happens. There are 5 million new guns sold in the US EVERY YEAR and yet the number of victims has been dropping for decades, a far cry from your dreams of 8,000 more deaths every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It seems like everywhere I look and see, I'm being pressured to buy a gun...not just one gun, multiple ones. Gun shows all over the place, advertisements in newspapers and magazines, and non-stop talk about guns on TV and the radio.

It's like American culture expects me to be carrying around a gun 24/7, and that if I don't own multiple firearms, I'm somehow a second class citizen. Anyone else tired of this?
Don't go to gun stores, gun shows or NRA meet-ups if they upset you so. Avoid the ammo shelves at Walmart unless you wanna swing by for me.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Another anti gun nut totally out of touch with reality. It must really rub you the wrong way that your anti gun fantasy never actually happens. There are 5 million new guns sold in the US EVERY YEAR and yet the number of victims has been dropping for decades, a far cry from your dreams of 8,000 more deaths every year.
Oh yeah, that's it, jump right to the "anti gun nut" right out of the starter's blocks. What the heck is it with you folks that insist you are either pro-everybody having one or you're an anti gun nut. There are various shades of grey in between those two extremes.

How many more decades you think it's gonna take before your victim stats even get close to those of other first world developed countries?

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

"A study published in 2013 by the Violence Policy Center, using five years of nationwide statistics (2007-2011) compiled by the federal Bureau of Justice found that defensive gun use occurs at a dramatically lower rate, about 98.5% lower than the gun lobby has claimed. The V.P.C. also found that for every one justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 44 criminal homicides. This ratio does not take into account the tens of thousands of lives lost in gun suicides or accidental shootings every year.

Another study reviewing surveys of gun use in the U.S. determined that a majority of self-reported defensive gun uses may also have been illegal and against the interests of society."

Nothing could rub me the wrong way about not realizing a fantasy I have never had.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, that's it, jump right to the "anti gun nut" right out of the starter's blocks. What the heck is it with you folks that insist you are either pro-everybody having one or you're an anti gun nut. There are various shades of grey in between those two extremes.

How many more decades you think it's gonna take before your victim stats even get close to those of other first world developed countries?

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

"A study published in 2013 by the Violence Policy Center, using five years of nationwide statistics (2007-2011) compiled by the federal Bureau of Justice found that defensive gun use occurs at a dramatically lower rate, about 98.5% lower than the gun lobby has claimed. The V.P.C. also found that for every one justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 44 criminal homicides. This ratio does not take into account the tens of thousands of lives lost in gun suicides or accidental shootings every year.

Another study reviewing surveys of gun use in the U.S. determined that a majority of self-reported defensive gun uses may also have been illegal and against the interests of society."

Nothing could rub me the wrong way about not realizing a fantasy I have never had.
Let me go dig up some NRA opinion pieces to counter act your just as bias sources.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:52 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No one is in fear except for a few ignorant, rabid anti gun types. Maybe a bear will eat them. That article is full of cr*p. Very few areas are trashed by dumpers and irresponsible shooters.

Don't hike in hunting season. If they don't hunt certain animals they will overbreed and starve or be a nuicance.

Nobody has taken advantage of a person legally carrying in a National Park, either under license, or openly while hiking or camping if allowed in that state.

If someone is afraid of my gun, sans any threat, other than I have it, they are irrational and need counseling same as if they have an irrational fear of cats.

The rest of us are getting tired of these mentally ill anti gunners and their unfounded fears of legally armed, stable, upstanding citizens who are exercising their Constitutional rights and the human right of self defense.
Being shot at while your hiking along a trail because some nut that bought a gun and doesn't know the first thing about safety.

Guns don't belong in parks, especially for target practice and trashing the area, this wasn't about hunting season this was someone camping out and it was night time.

Mentally ill people with a gun that are incapable of understanding the range on a weapon, ever hear of a firing range?

Old 08-20-2015, 07:41 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Let me go dig up some NRA opinion pieces to counter act your just as bias sources.
Of curse they're going to be discounted; they disagree with your mantra.

Here fill your boots:

Gun Violence Archive

USA TODAY | BEHIND THE BLOODSHED: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AMERICA?S MASS KILLINGS

Did you see that part where the average of mass (4 victims) shootings occurrence works out to one every two weeks since 2006.....neat, eh?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Of curse they're going to be discounted; they disagree with your mantra.

Here fill your boots:

Gun Violence Archive

USA TODAY | BEHIND THE BLOODSHED: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AMERICA?S MASS KILLINGS

Did you see that part where the average of mass (4 victims) shootings occurrence works out to one every two weeks since 2006.....neat, eh?
You are still more likely to die by a lightning strike than on a mass shooting. Why not worry about things that actually might happen.

Pools kill more people than mass shootings.

More to the point, who do you call when someone is attacking another person and what do they carry. Do you know what happens when some with a concealed carry license is involved in mass shooting? They shot the attacker and prevent others from being attacked.

You still have not brought any policies forward that would pass constitutional muster and reduce these mass shootings you are worried about.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I don't know anybody pushing guns except gangs

Old 08-20-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Being shot at while your hiking along a trail because some nut that bought a gun and doesn't know the first thing about safety.

Guns don't belong in parks, especially for target practice and trashing the area, this wasn't about hunting season this was someone camping out and it was night time.

Mentally ill people with a gun that are incapable of understanding the range on a weapon, ever hear of a firing range?
Why does you need for self defense end when you cross an imaginary line on a map? Isolated areas can be very dangerious, either from four legged creatures or two legged creatures. You have heard about Mexican drug cartels setting up grow operations north of the border in national and state parks/forests?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You betcha--I agree. It is obnoxious. Just think if you lived in a country where they hardly exist. It is only going to get worse as there are more mass shootings or shootings by the mentally ill. There will eventually be metal detectors everywhere. Sick of hearing about shootings on the news and wondering if the person in traffic who is pissed off about something has a gun.

And, yes, we are planning a move to Europe in a year or two just to experience a better quality of life and am looking forward to see what it is like to live somewhere without a 'gun culture' and gun ownership, which I believe has been shown to actually make people feel more paranoid.

Don't post here when you get there or when you return. I hope you are Muslim because Europe is ridden with them. You like Sharia? Get used to the taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies