Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Every month, I look at my stubs and see that I've paid thousands in taxes. And this is on top of my property taxes.

Last christmas, I got $7k in christmas bonus. But almost half of that went into taxes.

I work on average of 55-65 hours a week. I work extra hard and take pride in my job. But... sometimes I feel like the more and harder I work the more I get penalized.

And then I turn around and see people who aren't motivated at all and pump out babies just for the sake of breeding. And they're on food stamps on a permanent basis.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as liberal as the next guy. I believe that those we as a society ought to have a safety net in place to catch people who have fallen. We all need it. Any one of us could get laid off tomorrow.

But these safety nets should be meant as temporary. Some people I personally know are on these food stamps and other social safety programs permanently. They walk out of jobs they don't like just to keep their overall wages down.

And now there are reports of people in Seattle asking to work less because they fear losing their benefits because the minimum wage increased.

I've worked hard all my life. I guess I don't mind paying the ridiculous high rates in my income bracket so much if I knew my tax dollars are going toward helping people who have fallen AS WELL AS weaning them off the social programs. But as it stands, that's not the case is it?

Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. We've all seen the ridiculously large and very poor families using food stamps at the store. And most of the time the women are pregnant. In other words, I work hard every day and pay thousands in taxes each month to fund these women to keep pumping out kids.

That makes me very depressed.
I hear you. I understand you. We have a pie chart that gives us a rundown of our expenses at the end of the month and most of the time the largest part of that pie goes to taxes and that doesn't count for those taxes we pay daily on sales taxes for food, gas, and anything else we buy.

I am also like you in that it would not bother me so much if those people were not living off us because they cannot find another way. Most of them live in bigger houses than we do and drive larger cars. And no, it's not fair.

And every time someone mentions doing something about the taxes, those of us who paid in for years are the problem, according to the ones who want to stop social security.

I keep remembering the sweet little lady working part-time in the insurance office to make ends meet tells me if she retired on SS she would make about $800 a month but there is an illegal immigrant family she knows about that is receiving $1800 a month for housing and food. They don't even belong here, the father is working for lower wages than most and we are helping the company he works for by paying their expenses. Enough to make your blood boil.

And they wonder why Trump is getting so much support? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ah yes...blaming the "world stage" and "the worldwide economy"

Nice soundbites, and maybe valid......IF the united states GDP per person wasnt increasing all the time. IE We have more money as a nation then ever before.

Its not the "world" economy, its our distribution.
Borrowing and printing money does not create "more money" than ever before. Only if you ignore the devaluation of the dollar taking place.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:30 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,526 times
Quote:
Well, I'm also gay and live with another man. You conservatives haven't done anything to make me want to have anything to do with you. Move on.

Added by edit.

Gay people tend to be successful and self-sufficient. That's why we as a community have a lot of disposable income. My boyfriend and I like to go out often and enjoy ourselves. We also don't care much for the octo single mom on welfare.

If conservatives stop worrying so much about what people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms, I imagine they would capture a very large voting block of the population.

In the mean time, we tend to vote democrat because we don't want republicans to bring back anti-sodomy laws. Those laws were still in the books for 30-some states back in 2002 before the supreme court declared them unconstitutional. Pity...
if you won't be part of the solution, why are you even whining about the problem?

Old 08-10-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Sigh. if the govt borrow from itself it pays itself interest. Would you prefer we borrowed it from China?

In the end though you're right, its all accounting and numbers. But it does indeed end up being paid interest, so from the point of view of the social security balance....it does in fact make money.
Actually what happens is government has to sell things like TBonds, which removes money out of the economy because people have to buy them, and then it removes money out of the taxpayers pocket when they need to be paid back, WITH INTEREST..

Every time the left runs around advocating for more debt, I laugh my ass off because it encourages the rich to get richer and the poor, poorer, since clearly its not those living in the projects buying bonds..

Old 08-10-2015, 03:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually what happens is government has to sell things like TBonds, which removes money out of the economy because people have to buy them, and then it removes money out of the taxpayers pocket when they need to be paid back, WITH INTEREST..

Every time the left runs around advocating for more debt, I laugh my ass off because it encourages the rich to get richer and the poor, poorer, since clearly its not those living in the projects buying bonds..
Again, you're changing the topic. Nice deflection

Old 08-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Sigh. No my point is that these people aren't choosing that life. And your foolish assumption might just infuriate them. But of course you completely fail to comprehend something not in line with your preconceived notions.
Actually yes, they very much choose that life.. here in america, as you acknowledge is the wealthiest in the world, people CHOOSE not to partake in society.. NO ONE has a reason to not be a member of it..

Old 08-10-2015, 03:55 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Ah yes...blaming the "world stage" and "the worldwide economy"

Nice soundbites, and maybe valid......IF the united states GDP per person wasnt increasing all the time. IE We have more money as a nation then ever before.

Its not the "world" economy, its our distribution.
There are clearly more issues in place that has caused the decline of the American middle class but I only spoke about 1 major part. Yes, the country's wealth is overly concentrated. That's a problem too. But we lost a lot of good paying blue collar jobs. These jobs went to countries that are able to compete with the US with wages due to their lower standards of living. The American worker can't compete with someone that makes a Ford auto part or Apple computer part on $2.00 per hour.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Again, you're changing the topic. Nice deflection
There is no changing of the topic, since that debt comes at a cost to the taxpayers...

Old 08-10-2015, 03:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Between paying for the criminals on WALL St, wasteful spending by our federal govt on every social program in the world, all the people on welfare and entitlement population the country and the govt have the middle class by the balls lol.. God Luck and God Bless Murrricahhh.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:40 PM

672 posts, read 810,957 times
Quote:
Every month, I look at my stubs and see that I've paid thousands in taxes. And this is on top of my property taxes.

Last christmas, I got $7k in christmas bonus. But almost half of that went into taxes.
I remember when I received my first real bonus many years ago. I was at the end of the year company meeting. I won several monetary awards for performance and a end of the year bonus. I remember counting it up as my name was called and I hit $20,000. When I opened all the checks and noticed the tax taken out my enthusiasm waned a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
There should be a flat tax irrespective of pay.
While I believe the flat tax is a fairer solution then what we have, I think there are better options. The IRS as we know it should be reworked.

I would be in favor of a national sales tax ONLY if the payroll taxes were completed removed. A consumption tax is more favorable to me than a income tax.

It would have to be the same and flat across the board. No higher sales tax for more expenses cars etc..

Flat percentage per category that it is applied.

Not only does business have to pay their own income taxes but process employees income information, process states taxes and sales taxes.

To me it seems it would be a win for business both small and large to move to a consumption tax.

It also seems to me to be a win for consumers and workers. No longer fearing taxes or the hand of the IRS. Taxes taken at the point the funds are spent. No worrying if the IRS is going to place a lean on your home, freeze your bank accounts.

Yes, prices would go up but imagine taking exactly what you earned home each payday with the taxes not taken out and not worrying about owing a large amount at the end of the year.

You can spend appropriately on your needs. Less paperwork. Every business will be sending in funds to the IRS per sales volume on a quarterly bases. That would be the extent. No tax dodging by individuals. No loopholes.

Oh the IRS will still have their jobs processing and auditing businesses sending in the funds or those who don't process the taxes collected but the individual would be done with the IRS.

There are only two types of people that I believe wouldn't really like this.

A corporation/business that pays no taxes due to loopholes would be fine with the current system. A person that receives funds from others that pay taxes. They have enough credits that they actual receive money that they did not pay in.

Anyone else that receives a refund is just losing value. You have paid more in than you needed to and the government had control of funds you could have used and they aren't paying you interest for that loan. That's not saving for a purchase at the end of the year, that's just getting back what was already yours.

For those that state that a consumption tax would be unfair to the poor, I strongly disagree. A few cents added to most purchases is much easier and simplified than dealing with the IRS. Their immediate increase of being able to take home a paycheck with federal taxes not removed would be a bonus.

Those that spend their money on more costly items will be paying more dollars in with the percentage being flat. The poor will still be paying less and the rich still paying more if they want more luxury or expensive items. Those that have the funds will still want to buy expensive items.

Last edited by Dhult; 08-10-2015 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies