Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 07:56 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times

Advertisements

It seems that the News Commentators have all the answers ... after the fact. It's early in the Presidential campaigns, yet, I've already had my fill of News 'buzzards' who sweep in AFTER something has been said or happened -- and blather on like THEY had all the answers to begin with.

How about a debate between news commentators to answer questions based on their own knowledge; instead of simply picking apart everyone else. They wouldn't appear so smug then!

Okay, I'm ranting, but, I'm very serious about the unmerited influence (or damage) these 'talking heads' can exert when they "own" the airways. This has nothing to do with 'NEWS' -- it's all about their personal 'editorials' which are nothing more than opinons and philosophies. Where's Walter Cronkite when we need him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Cable TV demonstrated that opinionated news entertainment was profitable.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:12 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
News commentators don't express their own opinions ... they read the teleprompter.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:33 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It seems that the News Commentators have all the answers ... after the fact. It's early in the Presidential campaigns, yet, I've already had my fill of News 'buzzards' who sweep in AFTER something has been said or happened -- and blather on like THEY had all the answers to begin with.

How about a debate between news commentators to answer questions based on their own knowledge; instead of simply picking apart everyone else. They wouldn't appear so smug then!

Okay, I'm ranting, but, I'm very serious about the unmerited influence (or damage) these 'talking heads' can exert when they "own" the airways. This has nothing to do with 'NEWS' -- it's all about their personal 'editorials' which are nothing more than opinons and philosophies. Where's Walter Cronkite when we need him?
How about a poll to get their favorability rating?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
News commentators don't express their own opinions ... they read the teleprompter.
Not the panelists.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:58 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How about a poll to get their favorability rating?
Absolutely! -- They are way too busy deriding and micro-analyzing the low poll ratings and poor answers of qualified individuals who have 'put every aspect of their lives out there on the firing line.' I wonder if they would be as supercilious and self-righteous when talking about their own polling numbers (and how reliable are all of these 'polls' anyway? Who conducts them, who gets polled and what type of controls are used?).

A major problem with this pervasive 'tabloid, gotcha' approach of liberal commentators, toward non-liberals in the public eye, is that it discourages highly qualified people, who may have had problems at different times in their life, from running for public office. Thus, we wind-up a very shallow pool of 'squeaky-clean politicians' who were slick enough to never get caught, or wealthy enough to buy their way out. As evidenced by the demonstrated lack of ethics of many politicians who get caught, one would believe the latter was the case.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
you can and do. your vote by changing the channel or clicking your mouse. get one that seems more honest to you. personally, i say skip the mainstream media, they are paid off. try something alternative. I like

Veterans Today | Military Veterans and Foreign Affairs Journal – VA – Veterans Administration myself.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:35 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
The lovely and very gracious Dr. Rachel Maddow would make a fine president

Old 08-11-2015, 05:35 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
Ron Burgundy for President!
The arrogance of Trump ... the intelligence of a telepromter ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies