Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,286 times

Advertisements

Confirming what most of us have suspected...

Interrogator: Invasion surprised Saddam - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 03:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
That story had been kicked around a bit before, the psychology involved in being a leader in the middle east is rather odd.

Though I was never in favor of the invasion, I still thought he was garbage.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:29 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Does taking garbage out involve costing thousands of American lives, thousands more wounded or worse, trillions of dollars in debt, orphaned children, economic instability, and no end in sight for the Iraqi war?....... and yet we act like we know best... and those problems are only SOME of them...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:43 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Kind of like when a robber threatens you with a 'gun' that turns out to be a toy....its still treated as a threat right?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Does taking garbage out involve costing thousands of American lives, thousands more wounded or worse, trillions of dollars in debt, orphaned children, economic instability, and no end in sight for the Iraqi war?....... and yet we act like we know best... and those problems are only SOME of them...
I've always admitted that, right or wrong, I was in favor of "getting" Saddam. Criticize me for that, if you must. Do NOT, though, try to connect me with the ludicrous notion we could "spread democracy" in a part of the world that's never had it, doesn't "miss" it, and looks upon it as a "crazy" idea. You can't MAKE anyone 'want' something like democracy. It has to be THEIR idea. Might as well try spreading the gospel of "women's rights" in Saudi Arabia. Not WANTED...not NEEDED..and not APPRECIATED. Women's Rights in Saudi Arabia is THEIR business.

I'll take issue with your statement that we "act like we know best". While this may be true in some cases, a great many of us act (and feel) like we know "worst"....and that everyone BUT us knows 'best'. I'd say it's about a toss-up...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Kind of like when a robber threatens you with a 'gun' that turns out to be a toy....its still treated as a threat right?
Nobody threatened anybody..... well, except for the U.S. threatening Iraq... that gun turned out to be really a gun...

Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Well no WMDs were used as a way to threaten Iran.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 PM

211 posts, read 978,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Maybe you should visit the American Legion's website and read their article on the "12 Myths of the 21st-Century War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies