Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

According to this article, churches in Russia have after-school clubs for kids ages 5 - 17 to learn how to fight and use weapons.

"Thousands of clubs like this exist across Russia, forming an integral part of a nation-wide initiative for the “military-patriotic education of the population”, regulated by the government through a significant programme of financial support...the government is assessing a new programme proposed by the Ministry of Education to significantly increase the budget for military education – and combat awareness – for children and young people. It’s an ambitious project: its aim, according to a document released by the ministry in April, is to encourage young citizens to feel a responsibility for their country, prepare them to “defend the motherland”, spark interest in their past, and make Russians proud of their historical heroes."

The Russian patriotic groups teaching children how to defend their country | World news | The Guardian

The Russian government hopes to increase the military by 10%. The churches say “The real warrior is not one who knows how to fight or aim a weapon but one who is ready to sacrifice themselves for defending their faith, their motherland or their loved ones.”

What do you think of this? You can come at it from an assortment of angles (kids getting military training, church involvement, the future might of the Russian military, national pride/history, cost, comparison to US, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Laura C, actually I believe that is way to young, however, the way this country is going, I believe every single graduate from high school in the U.S. should have to go to boot camp for at least a year. Why?

Well, they would learn survival routines, how to shoot, how to protect themselves, how to work together as a team...they would learn travel, which is a great teacher, how to be clean and tidy, to be independent, to problem solve, etc.

They would also learn there are different rules and regulations in different homes....and learn to respect them, even though they don't agree with them....same with race, they would learn how to work together as a team, regardless of skin color.

Parents either pamper their children to much, or don't give a darn about them at all....oh, yes, there are some great kids out there....however, not enough....and it's time our country do something about teaching kids respect and how to take care of themselves, how to go forward and succeed, and the importance of awareness....

My neighbors and I were discussing this the other night, and my son feels the same way, and he has a daughter.

But, yes, it should be manditory...that every graduate from 12th grade should have to sign up, and then, help them out with college if they choose to attend.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
This isn't really anything new, for Russia. They've been indoctrinating young people in this "patriotic duty" mindset for a LONG time. Loyalty to the State, sacrifice for the Motherland, etc. Its a way of life for them. This is hardly shocking news. Russia is indoctrinating its young people?! No! Say it isn't so! Lol, the only difference in this story, is the use of churches. In times past, it would have been done via the Communist Party Youth Organization, or some such thing.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
The Russians are trying to foster patriotism in a nation that has been decimated by ethnic/religious separatism over the last quarter century. The churches in Russia want to attract more youngsters. It seems like a voluntary symbiotic relationship.

It's not like most churches, or even most major religions, have been particularly pacifist in the past or currently, including those in the US. Except for the Quakers and a few other smaller pacifist sects like the Amish, virtually all Christian churches in the US have supported every war the US has ever engaged in, at least at the beginning.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:04 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
Russia needs more kids, they need God, and they need these kids to be ready to fight for their country.

I support this.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I also don't think it's a bad thing for Russia and think it's a win/win for church and state if they continue to operate them like clubs. But, I feel it's also a detriment to the helmet-wearing, car seat sitting, everybody gets a trophy, knee-padded US kids who can't identify presidents, know why we fought wars or who we fought when they are compared.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I also don't think it's a bad thing for Russia and think it's a win/win for church and state if they continue to operate them like clubs. But, I feel it's also a detriment to the helmet-wearing, car seat sitting, everybody gets a trophy, knee-padded US kids who can't identify presidents, know why we fought wars or who we fought when they are compared.
the only thing that worries me about them teaching kids so young, might have a reverse effect, the kid not understanding the seriousness of hurting someone else?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:03 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
the only thing that worries me about them teaching kids so young, might have a reverse effect, the kid not understanding the seriousness of hurting someone else?
Hopefully, a quasi-independent militia would prevent, or at least hinder, consolidation of power by a strongman -- Hopefully. (??)

The more that power and means of defense are dispersed in any nation, including our own, the better for all of us.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Oh Russia...

I'm not against the military. I oppose the industrial war complex, like most sensible people, but understand and respect the reasons why our military exists and have a great deal of admiration for those who at least think they're fighting for freedom. But mandatory military training doesn't sit well with me. So you can imagine that I'm not to happy about Russian children being trained in this way. And in churches, of all places. Not sure what they think Jesus is like, but not they're doing it wrong either way.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Hopefully, a quasi-independent militia would prevent, or at least hinder, consolidation of power by a strongman -- Hopefully. (??)

The more that power and means of defense are dispersed in any nation, including our own, the better for all of us.
yes, I suppose you are right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies