Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:31 PM

17 posts, read 13,725 times

Advertisements

Meh, the early 1990's were FAR from the politically correct liberal society Westerners find themselves in today. Beating your wife back then was still fairly commonplace. There was little if any advanced technology in those days so the liberal agenda couldn't be as heavily pushed outwards. People were more interactive face-to-face so they knew what the world was really like. 25 years is a very, very, very long time. Do not waste it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,916,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlar Vixen View Post
Meh, the early 1990's were FAR from the politically correct liberal society Westerners find themselves in today. Beating your wife back then was still fairly commonplace. There was little if any advanced technology in those days so the liberal agenda couldn't be as heavily pushed outwards. People were more interactive face-to-face so they knew what the world was really like. 25 years is a very, very, very long time. Do not waste it.

And, yet, The Kids in the Hall somehow managed to come up with this in 1993...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DI6rOj8IPs

In a Nutshell, the confluence of failed radical feminism and failed Marxism lead to postmodernism, which lead to the "Science Wars", which lead to today!

Old 08-21-2019, 01:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,591,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I was real young during this time. For those who were around to witness it, what was it about the early 90s that brought on political correctness that disappeared at the turn of the 2000s?
Hmm......

I'd say that the Civil Rights laws made in the 1960's finally started to filter through and that the "old ways of talking" were starting to not be accepted any longer.

To wit - many people would use the N word a good percentage of the time when they discussed black folks. Now that blacks and other minorities were starting to climb the corporate and societal ladders, this was - of course - frowned upon more then earlier (what you may call "non-PC"???)....

To that I will add that many growing into their adulthood around then mixed the 60's and the "Woodstock" ideals and were trying to represent some of it, but words themselves are not the singular way to do so.

More women were in the professional work force and in higher up positions - so "bro talk" and masculine descriptions "She's my foreman!" may have started to sound funny.

There is no plot here. This is how society turns and changes.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 2,044 times
In reality, after Chicago became the main import/export city for the Unite States, and after killing off 8 Native American tribes, leaving only 5, and WWI, the states was looking ugly. The womens suffrage began by many women not getting married, when men "owned" their wives, so they did not have children of their own. A woman by the name of Jane Addams with a collegue, Ellen Grace Starr, opened the first settlement in Chicago mainly to open a day care and a resting place for mothers, turned into a nursery, library, gym, classroom settings, including a cooking class, guest speakers, that became the Social Movement. Groups of women and men sprouted from Chicago to New York, standing up for the rights of women that included African-American women that became the Womens Suffrage Movement, some went into the political administration to be able to pass legislation, the Civil Rights movements. They brought about the child's labor laws, trafficking laws, public health issues, immigration settlements (hence the name: Hull House Settlement), the establishment of the first bureau that only dealt with children and their families was founded by the first women to run it. The first Social Security numbers were issued using the first postal service. Which brought out the Social Securty Act. All between 1880 - 1935-40. You could look all this up in The Britannica Encyclopedia or Wikipedia.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:25 PM

23,357 posts, read 17,037,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I was real young during this time. For those who were around to witness it, what was it about the early 90s that brought on political correctness that disappeared at the turn of the 2000s?
Started out a PC being defined as 'no personal contact' then morphed into 'politically correct'. stared in the 80s, spread by human resources in large corporations subject to federal regulations.

Now has become a strategy used by Al Qaeda and the Taliban where they wipe out a culture to loosen the bonds of a society in a divide and conquer attempt and replace it with their beliefs. Anyone not adhering will be invalidated and destroyed.

a slippery slope come to life.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:47 PM

5,907 posts, read 2,169,149 times
PC movement was started like many things were in America. It was needed to an extent but now has gone too far. Some of what people whine about today were instituted because we could not govern ourselves.

All I ask people to do is watch moves from the 70’s and 80’s genre doesn’t matter. You will hear jokes and insults commonly used at that time and think we were animals or azzes at the least. For me overly PC culture is fairly recent with the rise of feelings over substance, much like our politics. Yes Republicans too, Republican President with a deficit like a pure spend liberal, Republicans what are you doing?

Now a days I can say something nice but use the wrong “TONE” and offend someone. It’s a “walk on egg shells” actual world. But I will say the online world is much worse than anything I personally experienced in the 90’s.

The internet is both the most Snowflaky place yet also the most cruel and nasty at the same time. Comment sections anyone?

Old 08-21-2019, 04:21 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,403,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hmm......

I'd say that the Civil Rights laws made in the 1960's finally started to filter through and that the "old ways of talking" were starting to not be accepted any longer.

To wit - many people would use the N word a good percentage of the time when they discussed black folks. Now that blacks and other minorities were starting to climb the corporate and societal ladders, this was - of course - frowned upon more then earlier (what you may call "non-PC"???)....

To that I will add that many growing into their adulthood around then mixed the 60's and the "Woodstock" ideals and were trying to represent some of it, but words themselves are not the singular way to do so.

More women were in the professional work force and in higher up positions - so "bro talk" and masculine descriptions "She's my foreman!" may have started to sound funny.

There is no plot here. This is how society turns and changes.
The so-called "n-word" is used quite a bit today, in hip hop and among certain demographics.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 PM

17,649 posts, read 13,489,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, the term was already in use on my college campus in the late '80s. And if I remember right, it was sometimes used unironically at that time. There were people who thought being politically correct was a good thing.
I remember the word kind of being invented in the late mid to late '80s but it pretty much took off when Limbaugh went national and started railing about it.

However, the concept has been around forever. At least as long as cussin' has been around.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:52 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,248,521 times
There definitely was a PC culture emergence in the late 80's/early 90's. Those clips of Kids in the Hall and PCU are great examples.

One thing that helped elevate it was the massive explosion/popularity of alternative/grunge music at the time. In a blink of an eye rock music went from girls and cars in the form of hair metal to social/political themes with feminist lead singers (Cobain, Vedder, Corgan). And remember, rock music was still the most popular genre of music at that time in youth culture (I know, hard to imagine).

It's important to note that while these singers/bands were outspoken in their support of women's causes, homosexuals, and the environment it wasn't the same as today. Not sure how to put this but back then you could be vocal in those causes while still remaining masculine in the expression of your art. That music was melodic, sensitive, and introspective yet at the same time it was filled with the anger and rage of male youth while being conveyed through a raucous live show.

You didn't have to ditch your manhood to be feminine like is expected...more like required... now. In fact, your femininity was an integral part of your manhood and being a man was still vital to yourself and others. That's the best way I could put it.

Those days are long gone now though. If any of those guys were still around (they're nearly all dead from suicide and ODs) the new PC culture would find videos of them breaking new rules and throw them under the bus.

Boy am I glad I came of age then and not now.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 PM

776 posts, read 390,797 times
The 90s is when today’s political polarization came to be. The rise of Rush Limbaugh, Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill, Pat Buchanan’s “culture war” speech, the rise of the Clintons and Newt Gingrich, Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, the Assault Weapons Ban, NAFT and the WTO, anxiety about immigration, etc. I also know that Affirmative Action was an issue in the 90s (I wouldn’t be surprised if that was seen as “political correctness” by its opponents).

Last edited by redguitar77111; 08-21-2019 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies