Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times

Advertisements

HOA's are preferable when compared to zoning. In Houston you can pretty much pick the environment you wish to live in. I have lived in both HOA controlled neighborhoods and uncontrolled ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
HOA's are preferable when compared to zoning. In Houston you can pretty much pick the environment you wish to live in. I have lived in both HOA controlled neighborhoods and uncontrolled ones.
What's your preference?

I lived in the ghetto in Houston years ago. Greenspoint area.
What a dump

Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Well, a LOT of Murrrrrcan homeowners are inconsiderate idiots.......in theory the HOA can rain-in these nitwits to a certain extent.

I was at the park the other day, taking a walk. There are houses across the street from the park. Well the whole time I was at the park and within 1 block from a certain house, a dog was CONSTANTLY barking very loudly.

I can only imagine the nightmare of living next to that idiot and his/her dog. It wasn't an off and on bark.....it was a bark, bark, bark, bark, yap, bark, yap.....the whole time I was at the park near that house, 30 minutes or so.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 PM

105 posts, read 270,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
What's your preference?

What a dump
I think you mean Gunspoint.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Update:

Other media is reporting the backstory.

This silly saga began 3 years ago when the owners had the playground built without approval of the Architecture Committee/ Board. To make matters worse the color is outside the range allowed by the HOA.

The HOA is seeking a court order to compel the removal of the structure. If the court rules in favor of the HOA and the owners choose not to comply, they could be found in contempt.

These people bought into this HOA and in doing so agreed to abide by the rules. They chose not to do so. They are " special".
The bylaws are quoted as saying that colors must be "harmonious with the community and with nature". If that's the case, the HOA is very, very likely to spend a lot of money on losing a lawsuit. Legal precedence is that vague rules will be interpreted in favor of the party that didn't make the rules.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Because they got tired of living where people do not keep up their property is my guess. To each his/her own.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
What's your preference?

What a dump
My preference is River Oaks. Given my economic situation I live in West Houston. Even when I was poor I did not live in Greenspoint.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:48 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yep, I still pay the same tax rate as someone living in a non-HOA community in addition to HOA monthly dues. I don't get a tax credit for my HOA paying for trash pickup or street/sidewalk/sewer repairs. The city gets my tax money at the same rate as every other homeowner. Money grab by government... such a shock.
Why do we put up with that theft?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:27 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
seriously people HOA are evil. If you live in one, you should get elected to the board then disband them.
Perhaps that HOA has gone to extremes but I appreciate HOA's. People are irresponsible. They don't take care of their properties and bring down the values of everyone else's homes in the neighborhood. That's not fair and I think HOA's do a good job of putting that in check. I wouldn't live or buy in anything other than a gated HOA community.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
The HOA in our neighborhood is not obtrusive, not expensive, and it helps keep our property values up. No worries here. The dues are about $100 a year and that pays for the upkeep of the common areas, which add significantly to the value of the homes in the neighborhood.

It also keeps people from building weird fences or outbuildings, from painting their homes in garish colors, from leaving cars up on cinder blocks on the street, or parking big RVs everywhere - or from building homes that are not in keeping with the other homes in size or style or building material.

I'm glad for our HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies