Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

Lived in one for 2 years. Never again. Never, ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Some people LIKE rules. If you can't follow them live in the county.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:06 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
it has it's advantages. your neighbors can't decide to raise farm animals, or paint pink polka dots on their home... or have 13 cars on cinder blocks in their front yard.
You forgot poorly maintained yards, peeling paint noisy AC units, letting their damned dogs run all about and do their business in your yard letting their garbage blow around, loud music and parties at 2 am and letting their used oil run down the street! I once had a neighbor who liked to do target practice and put a few holes into my house!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:38 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
I live in a Condo with a Association and apart from the usual restrictions, we also ban over night parking of trucks, campers, boats and any commercial vehicle so if you drive a cab you better find another place to park it after a busy work day. Our towing company charges a minimum fee of 80 dollars plus 80 dollars a day until you recover the vehicle. Plus you better have MD plates proper inspection and up to date registration stickers or Mr Hook will take that car too. Another is a prohibition on cooking or barbequing on a balcony or patio is your unit has one! I don't want my HVAC sucking in the smoke and having stink up my unit. Lastly you have to have proper clean curtins or drapes in every window , - no bed sheets, blankets, beer cans, rebel flags or having a bare window.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Because for about the last 25 years many cities have required HOA's to be created on new construction.

It's a way of additional taxes and shifting the responsibility of maintenance away from the cities. If you want a newer home, odds are it will have an HOA.
Plus, like in a condo, it's great to have snow removal and yard care taken care of, so all you ever have to do is lock the door as you leave if you want to leave town for vacation. Also, many have pools and/or great work out equipment, rec areas, that an individual could not afford or maintain.

I lived in one for about three years[after my husband died], made the mistake of selling and moving into an apt. would go back to the condo in a heartbeat, most landlords are cheapskate-slumlords!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Purple playground poses problem for Lee's Summit family | Local News - KMBC Home

so this family is facing jail time for a playground set that none of their neighbors that can actually SEE the thing are bothered by...

seriously people HOA are evil. If you live in one, you should get elected to the board then disband them.

I live in one. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have NEVER bought a home in an HOA. A lot of my neighbors are cool, but the ones that are on the board and run the show are basically a bunch of commie pricks! Not to mention the kick backs they most likely get when contracting out jobs!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I live in one and they do good. Buildings are regularly painted, communal grounds well policed, landscape, lake, security, etc. No issues. One does hear of horror stories. BTW, some of the smaller municipalities are like had nosed HOAs here. For example, Coral Gables has to pre-approve what color you paint your house and in some areas what type of vehicles you have visible in your drive way etc.

Well, we are fortunate in havingg good folks in the HOA. Yearly elections as well. All numbers are transparent.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
hoa can work great if you have the right leadership. the problem is the people who want to donate their time to run an hoa are exactly the type of people you don't want to have power.

hoa leaders are usually busy body control freaks that enjoy power and rule with an iron fist. They care more about the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law.

what first started as "making sure people don't paint ugly colors or junk in the yard" became requiring formal approval to plant annuals, not allowing various plant types, requiring grass watering during a draught so you either get fined by the hoa or fined by water district, etc.

this!!!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:18 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Why would anyone ever want to live in a homeowners association area???"

Beats me.
I CHOSE to live in four different HOAs over the past 30 years and all have been quite successful. Maybe that's because I value nice neighborhoods and don't trash my property.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I live in one and they do good. Buildings are regularly painted, communal grounds well policed, landscape, lake, security, etc. No issues. One does hear of horror stories. BTW, some of the smaller municipalities are like had nosed HOAs here. For example, Coral Gables has to pre-approve what color you paint your house and in some areas what type of vehicles you have visible in your drive way etc.

Well, we are fortunate in havingg good folks in the HOA. Yearly elections as well. All numbers are transparent.

That's what mine was like, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies