Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:35 AM

594 posts, read 346,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I dont look at blacks as inferior. Some people have taken advantage of opportunities more than others.
Also some people have had a harder time and handed a poorer hand vs others. Theres plenty of examples of poor success and also rich squandering their advantage. Color or race play a role but dont make a big difference in that statement. Those who look at things thru color based glasses are racist.

I am sorry your life views show who they show. As a jew i have delt with issues too but i just look at it as ignorant people will keep themselves down and to move on. I hire those who want to work and can work. I do understand the difficulties of black men having more background check issues in the areas i have hired for. How do we tackle that? It seams to be at a teen years issue, parents? Peer pressure? Having more after school activities and helping poor go to camps in summer? This conservative is in favor of helping in those areas for sure..
This, and other threads where they OP attempts to use straw man arguments to dehumanize "conservatives," are nothing more than the same old shtick from liberals. They see failures of their liberal ideas and policies all around them, so in order to make them to tolerate these abject failures, they pretend conservatives are evil, racist, women haters, etc... Yeah sure, liberal politicians are corrupt, but libs convinced themselves that the conservatives are even worse. It's sophamoric and childish, but it's all they have to cling to.

This way libs can say to themselves, well, maybe their policies are a disaster, but it's better than what life would be like if those inhuman monsters called "conservatives" were in control. That's how they justify not getting upset over a fifty year high in poverty, cuz at least Obama is a lib who says he feels their pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Of course stereotypes always have exceptions. I grew up in a majority black community. The thing that did/does bother me about the 'black community' is the violence and intimidation which often comes out of group behavior. Here's a positive generalization...most blacks I've met are very open and friendly.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry if it offends but the idea that only black people have these "background check" issues is indicative of you seeing black people as inferior in this regard.

I also have hired people in the field I work for and the people with the most issues were whites. We did both a background and drug screening and practically every one we tried to hire as a property manager in a small city in GA failed the drug test (and not for marijuana).

But I don't think that all our white candidates will have this issue and I do feel that there is environmental and cultural conditions at play in that area of the state.

And FWIW, I feel that many people view Jews negatively too, as I'm sure you are aware of. I believe that is one of the reasons why Jewish people were integral in the legal victories in the Civil Rights era because they too knew what it was like to suffer based on trivial things like one's heritage.

Black inferiority is a very common thing in America that people don't want to admit. I admit that I used to also view us as inferior and felt that we should do things to "prove" how good we are. I came to the conclusion about 10 years ago, that that is a stupid thing to think. That there is no way that I, as an individual can "prove" how good black people are. There are more good black people than bad. There are more middle income above than are poor. There are more non-criminal than criminal. Yet, the attitudes about us have not changed in this regard. This is directly attributable to a cultural adherence to black inferiority IMO.

And again, I hope I don't offend you with that comment as I don't consider people as racist who I make these statements too, especially for those who speak like you speak. I only ask that you consider you think about what I am saying and if you disagree that is fine.

Another stereotype that is odd to me of blacks is if we speak on racial issues, people think we are "outraged" or "offended" or "speaking about slavery/racism." I am neither of those. I am actually just a person who accepts reality the way it is. I cannot change it and I don't even view that as a pessimistic view, but I can only do what I can do and I cannot make you change or mind and certainly cannot make society, all by myself, change its mind. It is a slow process.
No offense.. Just like you have had issues with whites and drug tests by where you are. In Indianapolis i have background issues with black males. If i was in rushville ( meth problem) it would be with whites. Nothing racist about that.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Why do conservatives debit blacks while refusing to credit blacks?
Probably connected to their irrational hatred of the president.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:24 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
True, but there is racism based on ignorance and racism based on experience. I agree that an employer hiring for the first time should not discriminate based on race. But once a group of people establish a reputation for themselves, it is ignorant not to acknowledge that reputation.
Then you and ALL whites should forever be seen as racist.

Quote:
Human behavior is much more complex than rocket science. Biases and prejudices rarely come out of complete vacuum. If black Africans had been known to white Europeans as civilized people, don't you think they might have been less inclined to bring them over as slaves. If black neighborhoods were as well-kept and peaceful as white neighborhood, don't you think whites would be less afraid of blacks moving into their neighborhoods? If the number of black and white criminals shown on the nightly news was proportional to their respective populations, don't you think whites would also be questioning why their numbers in the prison system are not equally proportionate?
Civilized is "subjective". In some of the slave narratives, of slaves captured in Africa and sent to America, the Africans saw the Europeans as uncivilized in the way they not only treated the Africans, but other whites.

Read the slave narrative of Olaudah Equiano

quote:

....In a little time after, amongst the poor chained men, I found some of my own nation, which in a small degree gave ease to my mind. I inquired of these what was to be done with us? They gave me to understand, we were to be carried to these white people’s country to work for them. I then was a little revived, and thought, if it were no worse than working, my situation was not so desperate; but still I feared I should be put to death, the white people looked and acted, as I thought, in so savage a manner; for I had never seen among any people such instances of brutal cruelty; and this not only shown towards us blacks, but also to some of the whites themselves. One white man in particular I saw, when we were permitted to be on deck, flogged so unmercifully with a large rope near the foremast, that he died in consequence of it; and they tossed him over the side as they would have done a brute. This made me fear these people the more; and I expected nothing less than to be treated in the same manner. I could not help expressing my fears and apprehensions to some of my countrymen; I asked them if these people had no country, but lived in this hollow place (the ship)? They told me they did not, but came from a distant one. “Then,” said I, “how comes it in all our country we never heard of them?” They told me because they lived so very far off. I then asked where were their women? had they any like themselves? I was told they had. “And why,” said I, “do we not see them?” They answered, because they were left behind. I asked how the vessel could go? They told me they could not tell; but that there was cloth put upon the masts by the help of the ropes I saw, and then the vessel went on; and the white men had some spell or magic they put in the water when they liked, in order to stop the vessel. I was exceedingly amazed at this account, and really thought they were spirits. I therefore wished much to be from amongst them, for I expected they would sacrifice me; but my wishes were vain — for we were so quartered that it was impossible for any of us to make our escape.......

Old 08-13-2015, 12:35 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I have noticed a pattern among conservatives. They are willing to call out blacks for things negative, but averse for calling out blacks for things positive. For example, conservatives love to make out of wedlock births a "black issue", as well as crime. Yet, conservatives have a problem with "black lives matter", instead, saying that "All lives matter".

It seems that conservatives don't mind qualifying a phenomenon as "black" when it draws negative attention, but do not want to qualify phenomenon as black when its goal is to draw positive attention to an issue. Yes, its true that its not ONLY blacks being killed by the police...and hence "All lives matter", but its equally true that not only blacks are having kids out of wedlock and committing crimes, yet, conservatives find it ok to single out blacks for those phenomenon.
blacklivesmatters does not have a goal of drawing positive attention.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Blacks are just as critical of the actions of many young black males as conservatives are. The difference blacks tend to propose solutions or offer encouragement while many conservatives are simply ragging on blacks.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Blacks are just as critical of the actions of many young black males as conservatives are. The difference blacks tend to propose solutions or offer encouragement while many conservatives are simply ragging on blacks.
I have seen a whole lot of "its the white racist system"

exactly what solutions are we talking about that leaders in the African American community are you talking about?

Old 08-13-2015, 01:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I have seen a whole lot of "its the white racist system"

exactly what solutions are we talking about that leaders in the African American community are you talking about?
The black friends I have work within the community at the local level. Mostly volunteer little, if any,government involvement.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The black friends I have work within the community at the local level. Mostly volunteer little, if any,government involvement.
I am totally for that kind of work.

but that isn't visible. NAACP/Congressional Black Caucus,/ Al Sharpton/ Jessie Jackson et al

tend to believe more government and "its the white racists system" are the only arguments.

When even a black person stands up and says "stop having babies out of wedlock" "get a job" etc, those leaders above shout them down and say they are idiots.

so .... again, where are these solutions? what are they?

As far as whites what have they said? where?

ive seen discussions where its pointed out that blacks make up 13% of the population but 50% of murder etc. all the sudden saying that is racist.

and lets be honest. no white person with national attention is ever going to put their own head on the chopping block and offer anything other than platitidudes.

if a white politician says "black men need to stop killing people' that's purely racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies