Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 PM

89,008 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So you arent claiming the Banks are innocent at all
Barney Frank already admitted the problem was government-mandated lending goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 01:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Politics: what if Americans were more interested in the facts rather than indulging in sensationalism, propaganda and biased rhetoric? Which way do you lean, vote, and why? Facts and sound reason, please to the extent possible, critical thinking. For all the rest, there is always Fox news.
...so, you start a thread asking for people to use facts, not to indulge in sensationalism, propoganda and biased rhetoric, only to follow up with exactly that.

Your arms must be tired from patting yourself on the back so much

Hypocrit much?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 PM

659 posts, read 312,664 times
Income inequality.

The issue is generally that of wealth inequality, not so much income inequality. There is a big difference.

Then the question becomes tax fairness on income that of course leads to an effect on wealth over time.

Far right conservatives argue for a "flat tax." The same percentage of taxes paid no matter what the income.

Of course we as a country (and most modern societies) have long since known better. A progressive tax rate has made much better sense for a whole host of reasons that most people don't really understand, because most people don't file much other than a 1040.

Wasn't so long ago that Romney was explaining how he made on the order of $200 million in one year and paid about 18% of that to taxes. Politics is about figuring out how right -- or wrong -- that might be. Fact is, our country could not last economically if not for a progressive tax code. We'd go bankrupt over night, because most of the money made and therefore taxes to be had comes from the top levels of the economic scale. Just about half of Americans don't make enough money to pay anywhere near what is needed to finance what is America.

Accordingly, it is also simple fact that folks with lots more money, power and wealth far better understand what's going on with the tax code. Of course, they are also the ones far better at influencing how the tax code is written into law.

If this can't be seen as a problem and/or issue to pay close attention to by just about anyone, I surely don't know why, but also of course, lots of people find it a whole lot easier to put their faith and trust in those most wealthy and successful.

Not sure billionaires like Ross Perot and Donald Trump would even stand a chance if we didn't.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM

361 posts, read 333,840 times
I watch Fox News because I don't want to hear some Commie, un-American crap like I hear on MSNBC.

That Black commie lady from MSNBC, Melissa Harris once said that children belong to the community, not their parents

Anyways, no doubt Fox News is biased towards the Right but they were the only channel that warned Americans about Obama.

Sean Hannity spent several weeks talking about Obama's lack of experience and sure enough, he was right, his presidency has been a disaster.

Only an idiot would think that Fox News is biased and all the other channels are not.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:51 PM

"You can always tell a liberal, but they won't hear much. Go back to your MSNBC echo chamber to hear all the facts you agree with."

I really don't understand some of these comments, but I am in no way surprised!

Not only did I just recently note that I am not a fan of MSNBC and what I rather turn to for facts and information, but I've also tried to make the point -- over and over -- that it is these sorts of comments without any back-up or substance that are the truly divisive ones.

Whatever the facts -- as long as true -- which are they you are referring to for the love of crying out loud?

It isn't that a liberal is necessarily hard of hearing, but just about anyone should be deaf to nonsense, right?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Income inequality.

The issue is generally that of wealth inequality, not so much income inequality.
So, no more whining and complaining about low incomes, and no more insisting on raising the minimum wage or even having a minimum wage at all? And no more complaining about CEOs' salaries?

GREAT!!!!!

Old 08-14-2015, 01:56 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
I watch Fox News because I don't want to hear some Commie, un-American crap like I hear on MSNBC.

That Black commie lady from MSNBC, Melissa Harris once said that children belong to the community, not their parents

Anyways, no doubt Fox News is biased towards the Right but they were the only channel that warned Americans about Obama.

Sean Hannity spent several weeks talking about Obama's lack of experience and sure enough, he was right, his presidency has been a disaster.

Only an idiot would think that Fox News is biased and all the other channels are not.
Bias everywhere but.....

Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All

Old 08-14-2015, 01:58 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And any of that changes the fact that the income gap is greatest in blue states, how?

But, yeah... keep voting for Dems.
Income inequality held steady during the GW Bush years but then skyrocketed in the Obummer years. The fact is, Dems need a huge income inequality to pander to the low income so really they need a large low income class of voters. The rich also benefit under Dems...Obummer borrowed Trillions from the Chinese to hand out to his rich fat cat buddies on Wall Street that elected him...no wonder they like him.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Income inequality held steady during the GW Bush years but then skyrocketed in the Obummer years. The fact is, Dems need a huge income inequality to pander to the low income so really they need a large low income class of voters. The rich also benefit under Dems...Obummer borrowed Trillions from the Chinese to hand out to his rich fat cat buddies on Wall Street that elected him...no wonder they like him.
Exactly. And why people don't realize that is beyond me.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 PM

MIRROR CHECK.

Read these last comments and take note of the straw men coming out of the woodwork! Lots of reference to what "they" say, and not a whole lot of sticking to what is actually said here. You want to create and make your own argument with yourself? You should take a good look in the mirror and ask why.

You want to focus on what people are ACTUALLY saying or writing and consider what facts there are to establish truth, well then just maybe you leave the realm of everyday propaganda nonsense and begin the exercise of critical thinking.

I have no silly notions about anyone changing their mind about their feelings, whether they be liberal or conservative, and so this is all a rather wasteful use of time if making any sort of dent along those lines is the goal. I do believe, however, that every now and then the effort to exchange facts can sometimes at least cause people to think twice!

My "Cement Theory" will still hold, of course, but at least it is sometimes interesting to see what FACTS it is that causes reasonable people to think, feel and vote the way they do.

Of course that's just me talking here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies