Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:03 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,976,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Probably more than you think, I also know you need to make 40 times your rent if you want to rent a place in NYC. Though you would know that if you actually lived there.
The individuals renting rooms in households for 800 and up (to the detriment of their other living expenses and loans) don't need to earn that. Only the lessee guarantees that. But you'd know that if you ever considered that a substantial amount of NYC consists of people who can't provide 40x.

Do you know how many Democratic voters consider NYC a pilgrimage? One that they're willing to make with limited resources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 05:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This is exactly the kind of thing I mean and am afraid of. People who say, well, the current NYC is worse because it's more expensive and that they support DeBlasio and let it hang there and it's pretty transparently an endorsement of making NYC dirtier, higher crime, more uncontrolled nuisances (police are being much less aggressive about enforcing rules against bums, breakdancers, beggers, musicians and so forth in the subway and it shows; ditto public urination, and so forth. Sanitation has been missing part of the garbage pickup more frequently, and I could go on.), and so forth in an attempt to drive transplants and the kids of the people who fled for the suburbs in the 70s/80s back out of the city.

Yeah the sky-high rent sucks but let's be real in all other ways the city is objectively better than it was before Bloomberg/Giuliani; but people who can't afford the rent or buying stuff in the newer, nicer retail that's opened/opening would rather things get worse again -- which is deplorable and need to be actively fought against but is understandable.

Edit: Also come on arguing that $150K is middle class in NYC is a joke. It's very solidly upper-middle class and triple the median household income. Now, the upper-middle class in NYC can't afford to raise a family in the manner that the middle class anywhere else in the country would expect, but NYC being a city for the rich, the poor, and/or the childless has been a thing for decades now.
"Upper middle class" is still middle class...and then you go on to admit that even in NYC those making NYC middle class struggle to make it too.

Basically you are arguing that someone in NYC got an existing government job that pays decent.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The individuals renting rooms in households for 800 and up (to the detriment of their other living expenses and loans) don't need to earn that. Only the lessee guarantees that. But you'd know that if you ever considered that a substantial amount of NYC consists of people who can't provide 40x.

Do you know how many Democratic voters consider NYC a pilgrimage? One that they're willing to make with limited resources?
Most landlords want everyone who is renting in an apartment to qualify for the rent. So tell me, what hood in NYC do you live in?

Old 08-16-2015, 05:43 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,175 times
Quote:
Most landlords want everyone who is renting in an apartment to qualify for the rent. So tell me, what hood in NYC do you live in?
2 to 4 kids (young adults really) splitting rent, only one person's parents need to make enough money to sign as a guarantor. Some walk-ups will even allow the guarantor threshold (80x) to be met among multiple guarantors. In a few years most people are making enough money for the renters in a shared apartment to be paying 40x together without guarantors. Luxury buildings want one person making 40x (in part to keep the twenty-somethings living cheek by jowel out) but older buildings and walk-up landlords are more flexible and are happy enough if the group collectively meets the threshold. There also are insurers which will take the place of a guarantor for a premium but while I've seen the advertisements and landlords mentioning they accept them I don't know anyone who has actually resorted to that.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:44 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times
The real issue is why are the taxpayers of NYC paying for an initiative to influence federal policy, and supporting current actions that are against the federal law.

And don't forget about those lifetime public pension benefits these people receive on top of the ridiculous salaries

Old 08-16-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
2 to 4 kids (young adults really) splitting rent, only one person's parents need to make enough money to sign as a guarantor. Some walk-ups will even allow the guarantor threshold (80x) to be met among multiple guarantors. In a few years most people are making enough money for the renters in a shared apartment to be paying 40x together without guarantors. Luxury buildings want one person making 40x (in part to keep the twenty-somethings living cheek by jowel out) but older buildings and walk-up landlords are more flexible and are happy enough if the group collectively meets the threshold. There also are insurers which will take the place of a guarantor for a premium but while I've seen the advertisements and landlords mentioning they accept them I don't know anyone who has actually resorted to that.
I see someone knows their NYC renting situation.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times
Just look at the majority of people walking around nyc. If you think most of these people are making $100k per year, I don't know what to tell you.

It's quite sick and bizarre how many 40yr olds live in closets converted to bedrooms, and other absolutely bizarre living conditions.

Quote:

Old 08-16-2015, 05:58 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
New Yorkers are getting what they voted for.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:03 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,175 times
Quote:
I see someone knows their NYC renting situation.
Yup. I'd never say that NYC isn't expensive or that the process of renting here isn't abnormally bad, because it is and it is. However even with that the city remains on the whole a much better place than it was for everyone who can still afford it at all; it's really disturbing and frightening to see the DeBlasio administration imperiling that and some of his supporters cheering it on.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Yup. I'd never say that NYC isn't expensive or that the process of renting here isn't abnormally bad, because it is and it is. However even with that the city remains on the whole a much better place than it was for everyone who can still afford it at all; it's really disturbing and frightening to see the DeBlasio administration imperiling that and some of his supporters cheering it on.
This whole notion that he will somehow send the city back to the 70s/80s though is nothing more than laughable fear mongering from conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies