Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Not uncommon.

BTW, did you look at the glassdoor.com links I provided to see how people don't necessarily make more money in NYC than the national avg? That must've come as a shock to someone like you who bizarrely thinks $150,000/yr. in New York City is middle class.
Again, it sounds like you lack the knowledge of the cost of living and what classifies as middle class there. Some people make those long commutes, I know a few people who do commute from New Rochelle, Yonkers, or even Bayonne where I commuted from. And yes, plenty of people do roommate for cheaper rent, though if that person isn't on the lease, then the one on the lease did qualify for making 40 times the rent.

Obviously there are exceptions to this rule because not all landlord is the same, but it is more common than you realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And yes, plenty of people do roommate for cheaper rent, though if that person isn't on the lease, then the one on the lease did qualify for making 40 times the rent.
But you seem to have missed that that's what I wrote, here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/40845798-post41.html

Quote:
Again, it sounds like you lack the knowledge of the cost of living and what classifies as middle class there.
Do you care to explain why Whole Foods compensation across the board in NYC is less than the national avg.?

Tell us why you think a city staffer like the ones mentioned at the front of this thread deserves a mid six-figure salary.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:00 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
I was commuting from Bayonne, so this exists in Jersey too, but heavily segregated. I could take you through some really bad neighborhoods on that side of the Hudson too.

Queens, especially Astoria, is basically the new Brooklyn for those that don't make a lot of money or have rich parents. Most of my New York friends now all live in Astoria.
Yeah. Queens close to the city has been spared so far as much as I can tell, as has upper Manhattan (north of the park). Can't speak to Queens further out.

You're right about NJ too, but like you said, it's heavily segregated so you don't ever have to deal with it unless you live there. Big difference is in NYC and more-so now than any time in the last decade you have to deal with it everywhere whereas in NJ even most of the poor urban areas are free of those problems. I'm not surprised to hear about Bayonne having issues (heard rumors multiple times about steroid abuse and driving through there to get to SI is incredibly depressing) but Hudson county north of JC is clean (or as clean as you'd expect given the density) and you won't be bothered in the streets, even in the parts that are dirt poor.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
But you seem to have missed that that's what I wrote, here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/40845798-post41.html

Do you care to explain why Whole Foods compensation across the board in NYC is less than the national avg.?

Tell us why you think a city staffer like the ones mentioned at the front of this thread deserves a mid six-figure salary.
Then you also know when a leasee does that, they are typically violating their lease by letting someone live there that isn't on the lease.

As for Whole Foods compensation, I have a friend who works at the one on 7th Ave and 24th and makes more than one would make at a Whole Foods in another city. She would joke about moving locations to a cheaper city after getting a good promotion there because they don't lower your pay when you transfer. Though she also lives in Astoria, Queens where the rents are cheaper than the other two prime boroughs.

Would it make you feel better if this random staffer was paid minimum wage or a stipend? Why is this even an issue for you? Are you unaware that there has always been city jobs in NYC that paid this kind of middle class income? What do you have against the middle class??

Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Yeah. Queens close to the city has been spared so far as much as I can tell, as has upper Manhattan (north of the park). Can't speak to Queens further out.

You're right about NJ too, but like you said, it's heavily segregated so you don't ever have to deal with it unless you live there. Big difference is in NYC and more-so now than any time in the last decade you have to deal with it everywhere whereas in NJ even most of the poor urban areas are free of those problems. I'm not surprised to hear about Bayonne having issues (heard rumors multiple times about steroid abuse and driving through there to get to SI is incredibly depressing) but Hudson county north of JC is clean (or as clean as you'd expect given the density) and you won't be bothered in the streets, even in the parts that are dirt poor.
Lower Bayonne where we were living was decent, the further north you went, the worse it got, and then it got really bad north of the 440 in southern Jersey City is pretty bad. The difference with NYC is that for the most part, it is all mixed together so you can't really segregate yourself from others. I always felt like everyone lived with everyone there.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I don't make 100K but in NYC in my position which does deal in government, with my experience I would expect to make over 100K.

NYC is very expensive and therefore they have higher paid wages across the board really. I had a friend from NYC whose father worked at Riker's Island as a prison/jail guard and he made over $90K per year.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:41 PM

urbanlife78,

Did you see this?
//www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/2429269-de-blasio-pillages-new-york-big-4.html

I think its author is referring to you in the last paragraph.

Your anecdote doesn't square with glassdoor.com avg. salary tables for Whole Foods in NYC, which are revealed to be lower paying than the national avg.

Why does a De Blasio servant of the type depicted at the front of the thread deserve a $150,000 annual salary. That's 99th percentile in New York City. 150000/40 = 3750. There are plenty of apts. for under 2000/mo. in the city even just for single occupancy.

Last edited by mm4; 08-16-2015 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 08:48 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Lower Bayonne where we were living was decent, the further north you went, the worse it got, and then it got really bad north of the 440 in southern Jersey City is pretty bad. The difference with NYC is that for the most part, it is all mixed together so you can't really segregate yourself from others. I always felt like everyone lived with everyone there.
Agreed.

Southern JC/Bayonne is one of the few parts of northern NJ I don't really know at all except driving through and what others have told me. Always seemed like its own world down there. Which I guess goes to your point about being separate from other people.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
urbanlife78,

Did you see this?
//www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/2429269-de-blasio-pillages-new-york-big-4.html

I think its author is referring to you in the last paragraph.

Your anecdote doesn't square with glassdoor.com avg. salary tables for Whole Foods in NYC, which are revealed to be lower paying than the national avg.

Why does a De Blasio servant of the type depicted at the front of the thread deserve a $150,000 annual salary. That's 99th percentile in New York City. 150000/40 = 3750. There are plenty of apts. for under 2000/mo. in the city even just for single occupancy.
Believe what you want, it doesn't really matter what one makes at Whole Foods.

So basically you are upset that some random government job makes more than you.....that is called jealousy.

Also, I never said you can't find an apartment under $2000 in NYC. $3750 will get you a decent apartment in Cobble Hill, nothing huge, but definitely decent.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Believe what you want, it doesn't really matter what one makes at Whole Foods.

So basically you are upset that some random government job makes more than you.....that is called jealousy.

Also, I never said you can't find an apartment under $2000 in NYC. $3750 will get you a decent apartment in Cobble Hill, nothing huge, but definitely decent.
Cobble Hill is prime real estate.

I'm making readers aware that their tax dollars and Democratic votes are being used by so-called public servants to strip mine a middle class that is forced to buy $150,000/yr. salaries for de Blasio cronies--way out of line compared to their private sector peers.

Are you aware that your comments receive only a 16.5% reputation rank?

Last edited by mm4; 08-16-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies