Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:00 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,301,006 times

Advertisements

***I went to public school (highly ranked schools in a reputable school district) for the majority of my schooling

Public education is a form of public assistance. Just like food stamps/SNAP, section 8, TANF, etc. Let me explain:
  • Working folks are required to pay into it even if they never use it
  • The people who work face-to-face with the direct recipients of these programs don't get paid very well
  • The funds are controlled and distributed by the government
  • It's difficult to get people to get the employees of these programs fired (even if they aren't doing their job correctly or violating policies)
  • The people who work face-to-face with the direct recipients of these programs are required to follow the regulations set by the government

Complaining about Common Core is like a food stamps recipient complaining about the regulations on what they can buy with their food stamps.

The government doesn't give a d*mn about you! Therefore, what makes you think they care about making sure children are educated properly. For decades people have been saying that schools should teach personal financial management, but it hasn't happened (and it probably never will).

The other options would be private school or homeschooling. People argue that private school is expensive which is not always the case (OPTIONS: secular, non-secular, Montessori, Waldorf, etc.). People also argue that homeschooled kids have socialization issues which is not always the case (OPTIONS: Homeschool co-ops, leave the house, etc.).

Do you agree or disagree with the title? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:38 PM

4,353 posts, read 4,193,504 times
Education is a public good. Everyone in society benefits from having an educated populace. Having an uneducated underclass is good for tyrants and not really anyone else.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
It's a public service. So are things like having a fire protection district and law enforcement agency, whether or not you personally avail yourself of their services in anything other than a passive manner. You benefit from living in a society with an educated populace, just as you benefit from living in a society with emergency service providers and law enforcement.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,358,091 times
And posting on the education forum to complain about everything to do with public education makes so much sense!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 PM

12,597 posts, read 8,824,665 times
Do you have a point other than making a lot of postulates that have no purpose other than inflame?

Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
And posting on the education forum to complain about everything to do with public education makes so much sense!
Please quote the OP and highlight (bold, italicize, underline, change of fond color, etc.) where I complained so that I can get a better understand of where you're coming from. I reread the OP and I don't see the complaints. I only see opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Do you have a point other than making a lot of postulates that have no purpose other than inflame?
Unfortunately, I don't know how to answer your question because I disagree with your opinion.

I don't think that I'm making postulates that serve no purpose other than to inflame and I cannot identify with where you're coming from; therefore, I cannot come up with an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Education is a public good. Everyone in society benefits from having an educated populace. Having an uneducated underclass is good for tyrants and not really anyone else.
But in some area

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's a public service. So are things like having a fire protection district and law enforcement agency, whether or not you personally avail yourself of their services in anything other than a passive manner. You benefit from living in a society with an educated populace, just as you benefit from living in a society with emergency service providers and law enforcement.
Do I really? I don't think that most people are educated. Especially since I live in the metro-Atlanta area and some one of the education-related stories that surfaced this summer was about Principals telling teachers to pass students even if they're failing (and when the teacher doesn't do it then the principal go ahead and does it).

Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
You don't think there are any educated people in Atlanta? Really?

There would be far fewer if there were no public education.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You don't think there are any educated people in Atlanta? Really?

There would be far fewer if there were no public education.
I'm sorry, I'm not keeping up with where you're coming from. Could you please quote where I said that I don't think there are any educated people in Atlanta?

Atlanta Public Schools had a big cheating scandal (teachers, administrators, and other involved faculty/staff were sentenced less than 12 months ago. It was reported across the nation.

I mentioned those stories because it was one of the many corrupted education-related stories (in Atlanta) that were reported this summer (that I'm aware of). You said, "You benefit from living in a society with an educated populace" and I disagree. I don't think the majority of folks have basic sense.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,990,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Yes. And it's a welfare program that promotes the general welfare of Americans. The OP is correct about this one point.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:32 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,155,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Public education is a form of public assistance. Just like food stamps/SNAP, section 8, TANF, etc.
I agree. And that is wrong. Education is not a proper function of government in a free country.

First you have the issue of forced redistribution of wealth. The opposite of free is forced. Property taxes are not voluntary. Next you have political agendas forced on children. Very wrong. It is not a proper function of government to brainwash children. The only time government should be involved is if there is criminal activity in schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies