Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 09:27 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The world is ready for robotic spouses all you MIT students. Ones with an agreeable personality that know how to cook, make good decisions and keep the house immaculate. Women have feminism to take care of them now, they will be okay.

So get to it, build it and it will sell. Phase greedy women out of evolution for the sake of humanity.
If this is all men think women are good for I'll take feminism and take care of myself thank you. It's this attitude that makes women want to opt out of the game. The best thing our marriage counselor ever did for our marriage was tell dh to hire a housekeeper. I'd rather be a partner than a servant.

I miss having a housekeeper but I can't afford one now that I'm a teacher. However, dh has taken over cooking and grocery shopping so I'll do the cleaning. We each do our share. If he expected me to do it all he'd be single again.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
It has to be a 60/40 relationship. If both of you do 60% and expect 40% in return from your mate, then you should both be happy. I don't need a mother. I had one.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I was a late bloomer and didn't really start dating until I was well into my 20s and lost my virginity closer to 30 than 20. Maybe that's why I don't see what all the fuss is about.
I mean really, sex is overrated, and so are relationships.
Hey, whatever floats your boat or doesn't. But I wouldn't go around stating emphatically that sex or relationships are overrated, perhaps they are for you... but from my perspective they are vastly underrated.

But to each his own.

Quote:
society expects me and other men to do x,y and z to "impress women" and "get girls" and go through all these hopes, do all this effort, just to attract a female. And once we get said female we are suppose to "grow up" and basically prostitute ourselves to a 9-5, even if we hate said 9-5, give up our own ambitions in favor of having kids, supporting a wife (so much for "independent women") and family and have no dreams aside from maybe getting a McMansion.
Look, there is plenty of room in society for folks to pursue pretty much any damned life style that they choose. Societal expectations are so diverse these days that saying "society expects" is an utterly meaningless phrase.
"It's your thing, do what you want to do, I can't tell you who to sock it to"
Isley Brothers It's Your Thing (1969)

Old 08-17-2015, 09:41 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
It's alright for women to break out of the materialistic traditional mold, but when men do it, they're shamed as losers or misogynistic.
Alright? Were you around when Barbara Walters first became a news anchor? Immediately, there were jokes, put-downs, and false information about her. Men tried very hard to humiliate her.

"Baba Wawa". That's what men called her.

Then the female representative from California; probably the first woman in congress. Instant propaganda about her; how she was an alcoholic.

Sure, it was 'all right'.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
You sound defensive.

This guy seems happy with his choice. Why not be happy for him?
He doesn't sound HAPPY, to me.

He sounds bitter and angry.

I haven't been in a relationship for over 25 years, and I am HAPPY. I don't post anything about how I live my life; I don't need to, because I'm HAPPY.

Over the years, people have told me I should meet a guy and have a relationship, and some of them even tried to 'fix me up' with men. They just did not understand that I was not interested.

Was there pressure on me to conform? Sure, but, because I was HAPPY about my choices, the pressure was easy to slough off.

OP doesn't seem like he's really comfortable with his choices.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
The whole "everybody needs to/will find their life mate" is a relatively recent development in human history.

Think about it: for centuries, the primary job of most men was soldiering or some other pursuit that kept them away from home for the majority of their lives. Life was shorter, harder and few people had the luxury of sitting around contemplating these sorts of things.
There was no expectation or idea that people weren't "complete" without a spouse, except maybe those for whom producing an heir was actually a job requirement.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the choices that the OP is making. As a matter of fact I find it quite refreshing.
There are many people who are happier spending their time working and are perfectly happy with their own company.
Better they recognize and accept it then make themselves and others miserable pretending otherwise.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:12 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and more demanding, nasty and unattractive.
Kinda like some men before they get all huffy and decide to "go their own way" and then do nothing but whine about women.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
I completely understand where OP is coming from. After a long, hard day at work, the last thing I want to deal with when I get home is relationship drama.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:24 AM

259 posts, read 178,849 times
One highly beneficial aspect about this development that no one here has discussed yet is that it makes a dent, however small, into our overpopulation/consumption problems. Fewer kids, fewer increasingly scarce resources being consumed.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:29 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Lemme guess, your parents have said numerous times to you, "Son, we swear it's perfectly okay if you are gay. Please let us know. Really, it's okay."

If someone is going to start a movement, I think having an acronym you can't pronounce (MGTOW) is not a good idea. But anywhoo.

Mick

Last edited by MTQ3000; 08-17-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies