Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:34 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,867,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
IMO.....these women must have horrible relatives or the men they meet are to the point they are no longer looking for relationships.

I have to say, the men in my family were not like how most feminist describe men.......takes a good women to make a good man and the children will follow.......this is possibly why I never understood the women are in a box attitude!
Some have had horrible upbringings, some are indoctrinated, some are young and haven't experienced the real world, and some are merely narcissistic and Feminism (well, Radical Feminism and Third Wave Feminism) gives them a framework to blame all their problems on other people.

What you said about relatives is certainly true. Take a look into the upbringing of Gloria Steinham for example. She had a profoundly unstable childhood where she was raised by her mentally ill mother after her father abandoned them. She has spent her entire life alternating between making excuses for her father and idolizing him to intense anger and resentment for growing up in poverty and being raised by a paranoid schizophrenic without any counter-balance.

Andrea Dworkin is another. If 10% of what she has said about her early life is true; she had a terrible existence that explains a lot of her views towards men and sex.

I am not saying that I don't have empathy for either. Because they had really bad childhoods and hard lives and I do think that they do actually have some insight into some very harsh truths. However, I also question the wisdom of using people who had very abnormal and unhappy childhoods and a lot of negative experiences with the opposite sex to be the people we should base our views of parenthood, relationships, gender roles, and sex from.

Considering that their experiences regarding men, family, and sex were extremely dysfunctional; I don't think it is all that surprising that their views on men, family, and sex ended up becoming dysfunctional as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 07:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
What is it that women are taking this time off for?
Just populating the earth and raising the next generation of American consumers. No biggie.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:33 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,270,415 times
Ah yes, that old chestnut. "You shouldn't complain, because people in ______ have it far worse."

Old 09-17-2015, 07:36 AM

7,807 posts, read 6,383,953 times
Feminists are offended by many things, such as razors, deodorant and pretty women.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:17 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,926,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Ah yes, that old chestnut. "You shouldn't complain, because people in ______ have it far worse."
What exactly are you wanting to complain about?

I kind of see it as women in America don't mind being sex symbols or merely thought of only for sex. The other day I drove by a Confederate Flag with a stripper on it, thought that was about slaves. Another place advertised coffee with a cowgirl showing cleavage, a cleaning service advertising topless house cleaners.......can't believe a woman would clean a toilet, topless for any man! Really feel sorry for anyone who would dip this low.

Yet this is accepted as respect for women, this was in less than 25 minute drive. Women are wandering WHY our actions and motives are questioned......let alone keeping a marriage together.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:18 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,003 times
How does that explain a difference in salary? Maybe in money earned over a lifetime.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 AM

36,461 posts, read 30,806,667 times
[quote=Frank_Carbonni;41232444]
Quote:
It is my opinion that if not for the Great Depression and Second World War that women's rights would have naturally evolved without any coherent movement.
But to what extent?
In my lifetime I'd have to say that things have not been bad for women. Still I have seen much change, maybe small stuff which may seem insignificant to those it doesn't affect. I can remember separate job listings; men's jobs vs. women's jobs and certainly that particular higher up jobs were never filled by women. I can remember employers asking married women's husbands permission before considering hire. I know this seems silly but just saying, I can remember girls playing half court and in HS boys were allowed to smoke but freshman girls were not, I can remember women not being permitted in certain establishments.
How much longer do you think it would have taken for gender equality and civil rights to evolve on their own without force from the government? Even with anti-discrimination laws in effect it took a long time for social acceptance and attitudes to catch up.

Quote:
I'll also just say that my criticism of Feminism refers to the modern forms of Feminism which in my opinion is an anachronism which has become so extreme because most women don't feel the need to take an active role in the moment which have left the existing movement largely dominated by the radicals, but with a relatively mainstream face.

And you might not like it, but Women's Studies courses spend a lot of time teaching the radicals like Andrea Dworkin, Catherine McKinnon, Bell Hooks, and even Valerie Solanas. Also, Feministing and Jezebel are the two most popular Feminist websites on the internet. I'm not even going to touch on Tumblr which has become a significant tool of organization and exchange of ideas among Feminists.
See, I have no idea who these people are and had to do a google search and I think that's true for most people. I'll just say I dont see anything so earth shattering these women did or anything that had an effect on our legislation or society as a whole. Why would I care that these women took courses in Women's studies?

And seriously, are you afraid of a blogging site? Unless you are a blogger seeking out those of like mind how would you even know what their ideas are and how could that even have any negative affect on anything.

Quote:
As far as population loss during war. The Soviet Union lost about 20% of its male population during the Second World War. Paraguay also lost more than a third of its population during The War of the Triple Alliance and a disproportionate amount of those deaths were male and it took almost century to recover. But my point was to give a hypothetical example on why the consequences would be much more dire if let's say several million women were lost in the First World War than if it were men.
Stats I read were ~14% of the total population and ~5% of the total population were military casualties, which would be males. I didn't see a breakdown of the gender of the 24% overall casualties for the soviet union. I guess it depends on your reference. In any event the decreased population wasn't devastating to country and I dont think that has anything to do with women were kept from combat.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:22 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,324,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Just populating the earth and raising the next generation of American consumers. No biggie.
That's what I suspected. You beat me to it!

Old 09-17-2015, 12:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,333,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
What exactly are you wanting to complain about?

I kind of see it as women in America don't mind being sex symbols or merely thought of only for sex. The other day I drove by a Confederate Flag with a stripper on it, thought that was about slaves. Another place advertised coffee with a cowgirl showing cleavage, a cleaning service advertising topless house cleaners.......can't believe a woman would clean a toilet, topless for any man! Really feel sorry for anyone who would dip this low.

Yet this is accepted as respect for women, this was in less than 25 minute drive. Women are wandering WHY our actions and motives are questioned......let alone keeping a marriage together.
So, you think it is women who are going around making themselves "sex symbols" via flags and signs? And, you see these flag/signs/topless services as evidence that "women in America don't mind being sex symbols or merely though of only for sex." AND, in your mind, "this is accepted as respect for women," when all of it is actually the objectification of women - any woman with more than single functioning neuron would find it exceedingly demeaning and well worth complaining about.

Last edited by ray1945; 09-17-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 12:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,550,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Feminists are offended by many things, such as razors, deodorant and pretty women.
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

- Abraham Lincoln

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies