Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM

46,839 posts, read 25,771,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do they want women in special forces? thought they want to downsize the military, no?
Not "want". If we're going to have special forces, we need individuals with a very specific set of skills, talent and aptitude in special forces. Army Ranger School is one way to identify such individuals. Plumbing is secondary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 02:59 PM

46,177 posts, read 26,894,103 times
Was this the PRE-Ranger course?

The Pre-Ranger Course is also 60 (ish) days....

Don't say read the article (who knew there was a Pre course?), I was on the same base and very close to the Ranger barracks....from 1988 to 1992 in Savannah GA.....

Old 08-18-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

Don't say read the article...
Why not?

Old 08-18-2015, 03:05 PM

46,177 posts, read 26,894,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why not?
Because people don't know there is a pre course....

Old 08-18-2015, 03:08 PM

38,994 posts, read 27,382,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not "want". If we're going to have special forces, we need individuals with a very specific set of skills, talent and aptitude in special forces. Army Ranger School is one way to identify such individuals. Plumbing is secondary.
Yeah, I know that. Thank you.

didn't answer my question though.

If they wanted to downsize the army, then I am sure they could find soldiers who are qualified to be rangers. (soldiers who are currently serving that is.)

Old 08-18-2015, 03:21 PM

12,299 posts, read 8,023,999 times
Quote:
Don't say read the article (who knew there was a Pre course?), I was on the same base and very close to the Ranger barracks....from 1988 to 1992 in Savannah GA.....
No it was the actual Ranger School graduates get the tab for their shoulder. Wasn't the pre course what the Ranger Battalions sent their junior enlisted men to before they attempted to become Ranger qualified?

Old 08-18-2015, 03:23 PM

7,573 posts, read 5,290,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I think this will benefit them back at whatever unit they came from however. Plus, in the next year when they (possibly) integrate the 75th, these ladies will be right in line to be the first to do that. Wonder if they'll have all female platoons or if these two will blend in with the rest of the Joes?
During both wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, women drafted from duties as mechanics, supply, and clerical units, served alongside of Marines, Rangers and other special forces. They were instrumental when it came to dealing with women that they the units would encounter so as to not offend Muslim sensibilities and in the process gathering important intelligence.

The were called Team Lioness and to prove the worthiness of the title on a number of occasions these women soldiers performed with valor in direct combat with insurgents. I say this because I think that there are missions for that special forces engage in that require more brains than brawn and where a woman could be invaluable infiltrating the enemy in order to gather intelligence. There is more to special forces than killing folks.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Because people don't know there is a pre course....
So? "Graduated from Army Ranger School" seems pretty unequivocal to me.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM

15,475 posts, read 10,399,996 times
"2 women pass Army Ranger School, first female graduates"

Awesome, they should be very proud of themselves.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:36 PM

20,406 posts, read 12,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Kudos to them and kudos to the army for now lowering the standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
These 2 just proved they're in bette shape than all of us but nope - no conservative issues with women here.....

lol
I read your post and couldn't figure out what you meant. I read MY post like 5 times then saw it.

now......

ouch.....

I meant to type NOT NOT NOT NOT....

boy that changes the whole meaning.

Kudos to the women.
Kudos to the Army for NOT lowering standards.

I got real issues where the military really has lowered standards. but in this case, according to the article, they did not lower the standards.

I don't see any real benefit in sending women into combat, and I see more than a few issues.... but any person who passes Ranger School deserves respect. without reservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies