Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I used "in the hood" because Detroit has many neighborhoods and I don't know which one it was. Should I have used Ghetto ? Is that better terminology ? Hell, I live in the damn hood, it certainly isn't beautiful suburbia. It isn't bad but it's no Grosse Pointe.

Actually do your research on Charlie Leduff, he isn't your typical investigative reporter. I feel he stands out against the others. And believe it or not even though he is on Fox, leans a lot more to the left than one would think.

I do understand his job is to sensationalize, but after seeing some of his reporting I tend to think his is more genuine than others, I could be wrong though.

The sense of entitlement is not some made up news media thing, it is fact. Ignore it if you choose.
You could have said "a Detroit neighborhood".....

That would be sufficient don't you think?

I have had too many run ins with the media to think that any of them are all that much better than the other. News is built on polarization, fear, and sensationalism. People won't necessary watch unless a show is primarily one of the aforementioned. As stated, I have had my share of interviews with local media in Atlanta where I actually did live in "the ghetto." They were out to incite either fear or pity for people in our neighborhood in every single story they put out. We were the subject of a lot of media attention because that neighborhood is the most poverty stricken in Atlanta and is considered a heoine hot spot for the SE in general. But I never had any issues there and the media, because I didn't, did not want to put my story or my neighbors' story on the investigative reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 10:17 AM

29,487 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Those two are probably the only mayors they remember.

Coleman Young was mayor of Detroit for practically my whole life lol. I think he was mayor for 20 years wasn't he?

But in general, I have found that Facebook itself it filled with 80% dumb people so you shouldn't base your view of people in Detroit on a Facebook page.

I have relatives who live in Detroit and they don't Facebook because they say too many stupid, young people are on Facebook or because of stupid people talking about stupid things in general.

I agree and I don't live in Detroit and the majority of my Facebook friends are not black either but that site and Twitter and even around here on CD is pretty well stocked in dumb posters/contributors.
It is noticeable the age group that a lot of ignorance, lack of respect and hate come from , regardless of color and it seems to be the 14-25 age group...I know more generalization but they stem from somewhere not just thin air.

And yeah Coleman Young was in office for a LONG time.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:18 AM

29,487 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
You could have said "a Detroit neighborhood".....

That would be sufficient don't you think?

I have had too many run ins with the media to think that any of them are all that much better than the other. News is built on polarization, fear, and sensationalism. People won't necessary watch unless a show is primarily one of the aforementioned. As stated, I have had my share of interviews with local media in Atlanta where I actually did live in "the ghetto." They were out to incite either fear or pity for people in our neighborhood in every single story they put out. We were the subject of a lot of media attention because that neighborhood is the most poverty stricken in Atlanta and is considered a heoine hot spot for the SE in general. But I never had any issues there and the media, because I didn't, did not want to put my story or my neighbors' story on the investigative reports.
Understood, but I didn't want to sugar coat it..

Old 08-19-2015, 10:23 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
On #1 - that was not the question. Do you believe that the majority of black people live in poverty? If so, you are wrong. If not, there is no reason to automatically associate us with "crawling out of poverty." Over 70% of black people lived in poverty prior to 1960. Today over 70% do not. We do not need "rage" in this regard. We are already gaining in education, college success, and career goals and the others you mentioned. Again - Do you believe that the majority of black people live in poverty? Stay focused

On #2 - Plenty of people do think that a majority of black people are criminals. The question about crime in black areas has been answered many times - it is due to a legacy of institutional racism that contributed to concentrated poverty. Within areas with high poverty, more crime occurs. As stated above, more black people have come out of poverty in the past 50 years. Crime has gone down as a result. Compare crime rate from the 1970s to 2015. You'd be surprised at how little crime there is today versus the 1970s.

On #3 - As stated LGBTQIA issues are not supported by many black Americans. Neither is illegal immigration in particular (I personally have been vocal about this on these forums). There is a lot of disagreement with Dems on that issue. Black people also don't like that immigrants take resources away from schools in black neighborhoods. That is a HUGE issue amongst black Americans. Black Americans also are more for school vouchers and school choice in general versus other liberals/Democrats. But many people do view us as being "liberal" only because we vote for a Democratic candidate for mayor or president. As stated above, many conservatives/GOP are insulting to blacks (see you response to #1 above, which by many would be seen as insulting and trying to demean black people on the whole for the actions of the minority of us. We don't throw all your poor and criminals and irresponsible individuals of your skin color up in your face and ask you to "fix" them like you do us. That is condescending and insulting and it turns people off of your general message.
1. No, I in fact know that the vast majority of black people do not live in poverty. The rest of my reply stands as a simple plan for those that wish to claw out of poverty black white red or blue. You say the black poverty is a small issue blown out of proprtion by racist white people? Good, then we'll cross black poverty off the list of black greivances. I'm glad we can put that behind us. Thank you for that.

2. I don't believe that the majority of black people are criminals. In turn, plenty of people believe that all white people are racist. I ignore them. Plenty of people believe that there is a conspiracy to fake the moon landing. I ignore them. Plenty of people think the majority of black people are criminals? Your turn. Ignore them. I'm not surprised about how little crime there is now compared to then. What accounts for white crime? What accounts for asian crime and hispanic crime and the crime of all other races in America? Is it legacy of bad treatment? Or something else? And..you know what I think of crime by all races? It's bad. I never excuse white crime, black crime or asian crime. Crime is ****ty no matter who is doing the crime. There is no excuse for crime. Ever. Legacy of racism causes poverty too? What about white people and poverty? Asians and poverty? If the amount of black people in poverty is small (as you assert and I know to be true) why is this such a big issue? I'm concerned about poverty for all races but I don't just single out my own race and ignore the poverty of other people....that's racist. But, by your own admission, black poverty is small comparitively so its no longer an issue.

3. Glad we agree on black disdain for the gay/homo/trans agenda and immigration. Since Trump is the only candidate that supports real reform on immigration I assume he has your vote? Or are you going to fall for the same old Democratic lies about "promises" to your community and watch as they all fall through. The problems, crime, poverty, lack of quality education effect all of us. But black make it out as it only effect them. It effects every one of us, why are we not on the same page? I'm not demeaning anyone by asking legitimate questions. You're falling back on the weak position of insuating that I'm a racist because I questions your narratives? You should in fact be thankful that someone is raising questions. You know what questining does? It sharpens your message. It makes your arguements stronger. There is no need for a condescneding tone towards me to "stay focused" or to claim what I'm saying is racist. You are making some of the same broad generalization that you accuse of others being racist for.

I feel like we're getting somewhere.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:24 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
  1. Do you think a majority of black people need to "claw out of poverty" in this country

Not a majority, but a significant number, a greater percentage than other racial groups.
  2. Do you think a majority of black people are criminals?

Not a majority but a considerably greater percentage than other racial groups. There is also a notable inclination to make excuses for criminal behavior on the basis of 'victim hood'.
  3. Do you think all black people agree with everything liberals/Democrats/progressives advocate for?

Certainly not all but when about 90% consistently votes liberal/Democrat/progressive, it certainly serves to identify the group with those causes and philosophies.
Fair enough question. I've inserted by answers.

I would say that words like 'majority' and 'all' do not reflect the opinion of most. However, when very significant percentages are involved, over time it does lead to group identity.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
1. No, I in fact know that the vast majority of black people do not live in poverty. The rest of my reply stands as a simple plan for those that wish to claw out of poverty black white red or blue. You say the black poverty is a small issue blown out of proprtion by racist white people? Good, then we'll cross black poverty off the list of black greivances. I'm glad we can put that behind us. Thank you for that.

2. I don't believe that the majority of black people are criminals. In turn, plenty of people believe that all white people are racist. I ignore them. Plenty of people believe that there is a conspiracy to fake the moon landing. I ignore them. Plenty of people think the majority of black people are criminals? Your turn. Ignore them. I'm not surprised about how little crime there is now compared to then. What accounts for white crime? What accounts for asian crime and hispanic crime and the crime of all other races in America? Is it legacy of bad treatment? Or something else? And..you know what I think of crime by all races? It's bad. I never excuse white crime, black crime or asian crime. Crime is ****ty no matter who is doing the crime. There is no excuse for crime. Ever. Legacy of racism causes poverty too? What about white people and poverty? Asians and poverty? If the amount of black people in poverty is small (as you assert and I know to be true) why is this such a big issue? I'm concerned about poverty for all races but I don't just single out my own race and ignore the poverty of other people....that's racist. But, by your own admission, black poverty is small comparitively so its no longer an issue.

3. Glad we agree on black disdain for the gay/homo/trans agenda and immigration. Since Trump is the only candidate that supports real reform on immigration I assume he has your vote? Or are you going to fall for the same old Democratic lies about "promises" to your community and watch as they all fall through. The problems, crime, poverty, lack of quality education effect all of us. But black make it out as it only effect them. It effects every one of us, why are we not on the same page? I'm not demeaning anyone by asking legitimate questions. You're falling back on the weak position of insuating that I'm a racist because I questions your narratives? You should in fact be thankful that someone is raising questions. You know what questining does? It sharpens your message. It makes your arguements stronger. There is no need for a condescneding tone towards me to "stay focused" or to claim what I'm saying is racist. You are making some of the same broad generalization that you accuse of others being racist for.

I feel like we're getting somewhere.

I did not say the bold. I think that poverty is a huge issue for black Americans and for Americans in general as it is the primary contributor to social ills and crime today. My point on #1 is that if you acknowledge that all black people and the majority of black people are not in poverty and that the poverty rates for black people in the past 60 years have completely reversed (went from 70% in the 1950s to 23% today so a revers opposite) then it is not in the best interest of those who don't want to come off as prejudicial or racist to continue to say "blacks need to do______ to get out of poverty." Black Americans are doing a good job getting out of poverty since the mid 20th century.

2 - On the red, very few persons of color feel that all white people are racist. That said, I am one who does believe that the majority of our country (inclusive of all ethnicities, including black people) hold an inferior view of blacks and a superior view of whites in comparison to blacks and other minorities. I think this is more of a subconscious thing though and I won't get into it. But when people are speaking of "white supremacy" it means what I described above and not that you are a racist if that is what you are alledging with your "white people are automatically assumed to be racist" thought. Also, crime is related to poverty. All American demographics suffer from poverty, none of us are immune. It is more prevalent for black people only because of the discriminatory laws that were only recently removed that stopped black people from gaining wealth as a fast rate like other minorities and poorer white people during the 20th century (primarily between 1938-1963 in the post WW2 boom which didn't allow as much advancement for blacks as it did others).

3 - Not sure where you think my community is, but I live in Ohio. If he makes it to the nomination, I will vote for Kasich as I don't see any other candidate that is better than him IMO. If he doesn't get the nomination and it comes down to Trump and Clinton, or even Bush and Clinton. I'll vote for Clinton. I am an independent and always weigh my options. Trump has no government experience. He is not impressive to me. Like I have spoken about above in regards to conservatives generalizing demographics, he partakes in such generalizations. I consider him a blow hard and not president material and I highly doubt he will make it to the nomination and if he does, I am certain he will be defeated. So I would go with Kasich over Clinton. I would even consider Rand Paul, even though I disagree with him a lot on specific things. But I do like that he is generally a decent guy who doesn't pander to those who like to hear racial stereotypes. He also has done a lot of outreach to black neighborhoods and spoken about how his party has alienated blacks. Kasich won the governorship here in Ohio with nearly 30% of the black vote, including my own. He would be the best candidate for the GOP to run IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Fair enough question. I've inserted by answers.

I would say that words like 'majority' and 'all' do not reflect the opinion of most. However, when very significant percentages are involved, over time it does lead to group identity.
I disagree in regards to politics. As stated above, I am an independent. I have never voted for a presidential candidate in a general election who was not a Democrat, yet I am not all that enamored by Democrats at all. I have a "softer" view of liberals in regards to racial issues, like I would think the majority of black people do. But just because they are softer doesn't mean that they are immune to discriminatory language or practices. They are just more willing to apologize and learn not to generalize in public anymore lol. FWIW, I knew a lot of political types in GA. Most of whom were black and who I considered "Super Democrats." They were pretty rabid black Democrats. But black Democrats IMO only share about 60% of the views they have with white/mainstream Democrats. You would be shocked to know of the things I heard the Super Dems say about white liberals in particular. They were hilarious and in many ways eye opening. Black people know what is going on and they also know that the Dems need them if they want to win specific elections in local and national stages. They are always working behind the scenes to get what they want/need as well.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:55 AM

231 posts, read 213,398 times
Has anyone noticed that there isn't widespread crime in white neighborhoods?

And when a white criminal gets shot and/or killed by a black officer - absolutely no one protests about it?

Not to mention rioting or looting ...

Old 08-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
Has anyone noticed that there isn't widespread crime in white neighborhoods?

And when a white criminal gets shot and/or killed by a black officer - absolutely no one protests about it?

Not to mention rioting or looting ...
There is actually a lot of crime in majority white areas. There is a less occurrence for violent crimes but alcoholism, child neglect, drunk driving, and vehicular homicide relating to drunk driving, along with drug abuse is very concerning in white areas and is even rising in many rural and suburban predominantly white communities.

The families protest about whites getting shot/killed. But on this subject, it does seem that the majority of white people just don't care when their youth are gunned down, even if they under situations similar to those of blacks getting gunned down. On the whole, black people, even though I don't think we are in general a specific "community" we have a shared history and so we are more willing to support one another in certain causes, especially when they involve the deaths of children.

I remember prior to moving away from GA there was a white teenager who lived in a trailer park who was shot to death by a white police officer. His father was having a warrant served and as soon as the boy opened the door, the officer shot him, indicating that they feared for their life due to him holding a Wii remote controller that they mistook for a gun. That officer was cleared of wrong doing. No one said anything. And IMO people in that community should have said something and they should have made a big deal of it as that boy didn't deserve to get killed and the officer should have been punished. Recently there was news of another white teen being killed by police in a similar fashion to Samuel DuBose whereas he was shot in the back by cops but they stated they feared for their lives due to him driving a vehicle toward them. That boy had weed in his car. His family wanted to know why no one was "outraged" over his death. Ironically, Black Lives Matter did post about his death and asked why those who mock them by saying "#All Lives Matter" didn't gear up like they did and call for more probing into that situation and the many others that happen around the country involving non-black persons being killed by officers.

IMO, the BLM movement will benefit all Americans. Just like the CRM did. It is calling for changes in policing that will make it possible to decrease officers who mis-use their authority to be on the streets.

Zachary Hammond Killed By Police
Christopher Roupe - GA Teen Killed by Police While Holding Wii Remote Controller

Old 08-19-2015, 11:44 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
I did not say the bold. I did not say you did, I said "plenty of people"

I think that poverty is a huge issue for black Americans and for Americans in general as it is the primary contributor to social ills and crime today. My point on #1 is that if you acknowledge that all black people and the majority of black people are not in poverty and that the poverty rates for black people in the past 60 years have completely reversed (went from 70% in the 1950s to 23% today so a revers opposite) then it is not in the best interest of those who don't want to come off as prejudicial or racist to continue to say "blacks need to do______ to get out of poverty." Black Americans are doing a good job getting out of poverty since the mid 20th century. - Good, then its an American issue that all of us should be concerned about and there should be no lables like black, white or hispanic poverty. We should work on mitigating the effects of poverty on everyone. Agreed?

2 - On the red, very few persons of color feel that all white people are racist. - OK, thanks for clearning that up. That said, I am one who does believe that the majority of our country (inclusive of all ethnicities, including black people) hold an inferior view of blacks and a superior view of whites in comparison to blacks and other minorities. - OK, that contradicts your previous point that "very few person of collor feel that white people are racits". Which is it? I think this is more of a subconscious thing though and I won't get into it. But when people are speaking of "white supremacy" it means what I described above and not that you are a racist if that is what you are alledging with your "white people are automatically assumed to be racist" thought. Also, crime is related to poverty. All American demographics suffer from poverty, none of us are immune. - Yes, we agree. It is more prevalent for black people only because of the discriminatory laws that were only recently removed that stopped black people from gaining wealth as a fast rate like other minorities and poorer white people during the 20th century (primarily between 1938-1963 in the post WW2 boom which didn't allow as much advancement for blacks as it did others) - OK, sounds like black poverty is a problem? Since 1963 have black lives improved? Are there more black people who are not in poverty or not?

3 - Not sure where you think my community is, but I live in Ohio. I'm not following? Did I make a reference to your community? Confused on this one. If he makes it to the nomination, I will vote for Kasich as I don't see any other candidate that is better than him IMO. If he doesn't get the nomination and it comes down to Trump and Clinton, or even Bush and Clinton. I'll vote for Clinton. I am an independent and always weigh my options. Trump has no government experience. He is not impressive to me. Like I have spoken about above in regards to conservatives generalizing demographics, he partakes in such generalizations. I consider him a blow hard and not president material and I highly doubt he will make it to the nomination and if he does, I am certain he will be defeated. So I would go with Kasich over Clinton. I would even consider Rand Paul, even though I disagree with him a lot on specific things. But I do like that he is generally a decent guy who doesn't pander to those who like to hear racial stereotypes. He also has done a lot of outreach to black neighborhoods and spoken about how his party has alienated blacks. Kasich won the governorship here in Ohio with nearly 30% of the black vote, including my own. He would be the best candidate for the GOP to run IMO. Thanks for the thoughtful analysis of candidates that you support.
Attempting to answer in red.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Attempting to answer in red.

Quote:
I did not say you did, I said "plenty of people"
For #1 you wrote as follows:

Quote:
I never said that poverty is a "small issue" nor did I say it is "blown out of proportion by racist white people."

Quote:
OK, that contradicts your previous point that "very few person of collor feel that white people are racits
On #2, I stated that most people don't view whites as racist. I also state that I personally feel that our entire country adhered to the ideology of black inferiority and white superiority. I stated that this is my personal view. Most people do not agree with me.

Also, I do not consider adherence to white supremacy ideology means that someone is a racist. Plenty of black people hold an inferior view of blacks and a superior view of whites, but I don't think that they are racist either. IMO it is social conditioning not racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies