Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
For years, I have been hearing about the new South. That no longer does the region of the country view every single subject through the prizm of race, race, and more race. South Carolina will be telling here.

You people in that region have before you an incredible man who is running for President and he happens to be black. Recognize this man and show the world that you have indeed shown some sense of progression by not simply discarding Barack because he's black. Don't just vote for Hillary because she's not black. This is lunacy.

The world is watching. You disappointed the entire world by casting that collosal misguided vote for Bush in the last election. Show some progression Show that you are evolving.
In all fairness whether Barrack gets the vote or not is a pretty crappy indicator of how much the South has put behind its past. I would never vote for Hillary, someone pretty bad would have to be running for me to even consider it, does that mean I'm sexist? No. Just means I really don't like her or her politics. Secondly, a healthy percentage of South Carolina Democrats are black, it is quite possible for white Democrats to vote for Hillary and Edwards while black Democrats vote for Obama, everyone still voted according to race, but Barrack won because blacks make up such a large portion of the Democrats in South Carolina.

I do hope that Barrack gets in, but using whether or not he gets the vote in South Carolina is a lousy sign of how much they have moved on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:06 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is like that here in Georgia too. The further away from Atlanta you get, the more you see rednecks, trailers, confederate battle flags, pickup trucks and cross burnings!
Interesting perceptions you have. I live in a "trailer" in the country and am a well-educated Democrat, certainly not a "redneck." I don't own a confederate flag and have never burned a cross, but I'd have a pickup truck in a heartbeat if I was agile enough to climb into the thing! Pickup trucks just make sense in the country.

But since I'm not an Obama supporter, feel free to write off people like myself as racist rednecks. I really don't care. Personally, I think it's rather funny that Obama adopts a Southern preacher accent in his speeches even though he's never lived in the South.

Last edited by teatime; 01-27-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: grammar error

Old 01-27-2008, 02:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I'm for Obama only because we have had Bush->Clinton->Bush->another Clinton ?

Republicans have gutted the US..we barely have anthing left. If it wasn't bolted down they offshored it and brought it back here to us at a lower cost while they pocketed greater profits.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Republicans have gutted the US..we barely have anthing left. If it wasn't bolted down they offshored it and brought it back here to us at a lower cost while they pocketed greater profits.
Sounds like you need to change your name, pardner.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 PM

251 posts, read 895,698 times
Clinton was and hillary is democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 AM

365 posts, read 699,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
For years, I have been hearing about the new South. That no longer does the region of the country view every single subject through the prizm of race, race, and more race. South Carolina will be telling here.

You people in that region have before you an incredible man who is running for President and he happens to be black. Recognize this man and show the world that you have indeed shown some sense of progression by not simply discarding Barack because he's black. Don't just vote for Hillary because she's not black. This is lunacy.

The world is watching. You disappointed the entire world by casting that collosal misguided vote for Bush in the last election. Show some progression Show that you are evolving.

"for years Ive been hearing"

....lol, buy a bus tix, live in the NOW, the world is watching us?...cool...!!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
An anecdotal observation.

Wife was discussing the Democratic primaries with co-workers,one a black male.

When asked would he vote for Hillary his answer was "No, she is a woman".

Of course we wouldn't vote for her because she is closely related to Satan.

As to race being so divisive in the south,why is it that almost ALL of the major race riots have occurred in northern or western regions?
Odd considering how racially divided we are here in the south.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The south still votes along racial lines and very few whites actually vote in Democratic primaries because very few whites are Democrats. The south is largely a black Democrat and a white Republican party with very few people crossing over (and of those most are transplants). And the whites will not vote for a black for a high office no matter how experienced he might be. Ask Herman Cain about that. Highly qualified conservative to the bone black businessman but the white Republicans would not give the man the time of day.
The "new South"? Yeah, I suppose there's some newness. I and my family live in the South. We're interracial and live in the hoidy toidy suburbs. And so do a host of diverse folks. The corporation for which I work is co-chaired by a Black man, and is managed by a Jewish woman. In that respect, the South is changing. At least in metropolitan areas.

On the other hand, KevK points out that the Old South still lives on; it's just dressed and groomed differently. Many White Southerns prefer to live by and amongst themselves; resent metropolitan areas like Atlanta and Charlotte; absolutely recoil at the prospect of shared political power and business influence. So there should be no surprise that our voting habits are reflective of our current and historical ideologies and outlooks.

That said, the resent Democratic primaries in South Carolina point to a part of the electorate who was energized and excited about someone (and something with promise); who were turned off by old politics of division and derision; and some who were too wed to antebelum ways of thinking to look beyond the past.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Politically speaking, I have to look at the 2004 election map and can't help but notice the fair amount of purple in the south.

I remember when much of the south was democratic or was then known as dixicrats or conservative democrats that later switched republican because the democrats tended to favor the politics of the coastal liberals. In any case, it is not only interesting but reasonable snapshot of the times. I will be curious to see the 2008 map like this.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
I remember when much of the south was democratic or was then known as dixicrats or conservative democrats that later switched republican because the democrats tended to favor the politics of the coastal liberals. In any case, it is not only interesting but reasonable snapshot of the times. I will be curious to see the 2008 map like this.
Coincidentally, many of those Dixiecrats left the Democratic Party after that party's vote in favor of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies