Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007

When black people speak up about an issue in this country, our view is not respected. We are seen as people who making excuses and as stated above, people seek to discredit us and our experiences because society views blacks as inferior and not worthy of respect.

I don't respect BLM because it's a hashtagtivist movement run by children on tumblr and twitter. BLM fails because the narrative fails.

Instead of just focusing on whether and if there is a verifiable pattern of black folks being targeted and killed (without cause) in greater proportion to the rest of the population, for example, BLM and its allies continue to make it a "white-black" racism issue, and to advance some sort of black genocide by white people meme. By discrediting anyone trying to amend the message to police violence and over-reach in GENERAL, and instead continue focus on a theme of the blacks being targeted by whites, it doesn't gain traction.

You see, that extra bit about "white people targeting blacks" completely derails the argument and doesn't fly with the large swath of any informed white people, because the hard statistics show that in reality, if you really wanted to have a hard discussion about interracial murder, crimes and rapes, there is a hugely disproportionate epidemic flowing the OPPOSITE direction of what BLM is selling.

Maybe not by the cops. But by the individual population claiming to be victimized by "white racism."

Everybody essentially knows this. White people talk about this in private (and often, public). Maybe the mainstream media won't touch it, but everyone knows it.

So there you go: Why BLM is ultimately not respected by non-black people.

To make it work: Get some better martyrs for the cause (not the Mike Browns of the world), and focus on disparate outcomes and biases. But while doing that, also make sure you treat cases and compare apples to apples, and not apples to oranges.

Get a legal consultant that can help the teenagers running the twitter BLM understand how the justice system works... how crimes are investigated, how laws are made, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM

361 posts, read 333,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't respect BLM because it's a hashtagtivist movement run by children on tumblr and twitter. BLM fails because the narrative fails.
I agree. BLM is nothing more than a victimization, "gimme this, gimme that" group run by people who honestly are very dumb, If I had to guess, funded by wealthy Marxists like Michael Bloomberg and George Soros.

That whole thing that happened at the Bernie Sanders event in Seattle was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Did you see that Black woman? She started to yell uncontrollably, I thought she was going to have an epileptic attack.

"One minute of silence for Michael Brown" as if he was like MLK or something, these people are absolutely stupid.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 PM

200 posts, read 278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Until the members of your "community" stop killing each other without a second thought over any perceived "dis", nobody is going to take you seriously.

It is almost comical to see young black males taking part in these BLM rallies when you look at the statistics on the rate of murder they commit against each other.
So the thing is, crime in certain urban neighborhoods are the product of systimic economic suppression. There are several groups and programs/initiatives that are aimed at this. You never hear about it in the news unless it involves a (hero) of some sorts. You have the Dad march on Chicagos south side every year, moms against crime who sit on street corners in shifts to deter crime. Brothers helping brothers, food drives, mentoring programs, church programs etc. Being black you certainly know about these things and have participated. But the neighborhoods that these things happen are some of the poorest. All black people arent poor. All black people dont reside in these neighborhoods. Not even most.

Another thing is, the reason why BLM exsist is because people like you try to find ways to discredit the movement and try to police our feelings when things happen. Some people think black people are inherently lunatics without reason. Its annoying.

BLM does not have to appeal to the masses. You dont have to like them. People like you arent even affected by the very causes they are fighting for and they definitely dont need your approval

Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Instead of just focusing on whether and if there is a verifiable pattern of black folks being targeted and killed (without cause) in greater proportion to the rest of the population, for example, BLM and its allies continue to make it a "white-black" racism issue, and to advance some sort of black genocide by white people meme. By discrediting anyone trying to amend the message to police violence and over-reach in GENERAL, and instead continue focus on a theme of the blacks being targeted by whites, it doesn't gain traction.

You see, that extra bit about "white people targeting blacks" completely derails the argument and doesn't fly with the large swath of any informed white people, because the hard statistics show that in reality, if you really wanted to have a hard discussion about interracial murder, crimes and rapes, there is a hugely disproportionate epidemic flowing the OPPOSITE direction of what BLM is selling.

Maybe not by the cops. But by the individual population claiming to be victimized by "white racism."

Everybody essentially knows this. White people talk about this in private (and often, public). Maybe the mainstream media won't touch it, but everyone knows it.

So there you go: Why BLM is ultimately not respected by non-black people.

To make it work: Get some better martyrs for the cause (not the Mike Browns of the world), and focus on disparate outcomes and biases. But while doing that, also make sure you treat cases and compare apples to apples, and not apples to oranges.

Get a legal consultant that can help the teenagers running the twitter BLM understand how the justice system works... how crimes are investigated, how laws are made, etc.
FYI - the BLM creators are primarily in their 30s and not teenagers.

Also on the red bolded above, that has already been proven. The group also did not begin with Mike Brown.

As stated above, and which you quoted, you will always try to find something to discredit any black group. You and the below poster are no different than whites back in the 1950s and 1960s and 1970s who wanted black people to shut up about civil rights and police brutality and wanted to blame black people on the whole for the disparate, discriminatory treatment of blacks as a whole based on skin color alone.

Your continued insistence that it is BLM and not your personal, biased view of BLM who is the problem, is what I was discussing.

BLM is about halting police brutality and over aggression along with highlighting the fact that negative stereotypes of black people by general society (not just white people) cause blacks to face disparate treatment. It was started by black people, because as stated above, black culture is highly inclusive of social activism and the courage to speak up about real and/or perceived injustice. It did not begin with Mike Brown's death either and actually started with the death of Trayvon Martin, who was not a "thug" and who had never been in trouble with the law. His appearance as a young black male and the young black male being automatically assumed due to negative stereotypes (which are based on disparate treatment of black males by law enforcement) is what caused his killer to follow and then eventually kill him. His killer had an arrest record and since being acquitted (FYI, there is a decades old pattern of non-black people being acquitted of killing black people in this country and it is something that many people like you do not think about in regards to the criminal justice system, but we as black people do think about it because we know about it more than you do) has an arrest record and has questionable behavior, yet he is thought of more positively by people like you than a 17 year old boy. Trayvon Martin was "targeted" and black people in general are "targeted" by general society, including other black people (due to their own inherent view of black inferiority) as being criminals, uneducated, thugs, and various other negative adjectives. Black people have been targeted in this way since the late 1600s in this country.

Again, nothing I can say or BLM can say or do will change your mind or the poster below.

I personally am not interested in changing your mind and personally don't care if you do or do not respect BLM as your lack of respect is not going to stop them from doing what they do and saying what they say. Even though I am not a member or someone on social media pushing their message, I admire the fact that they are willing to speak up about issues of which they are concerned.

Also, I admire that they are using technology and the media to get out their message and agenda. I also admire that they are bringing attention to the fact that negative perceptions of black people is the cause of many social ills that plague many blacks still in this country.

They are building upon our culture of social activism. That is something IMO to be respected.

People forget that society told Dr. King to shut up and sit down and wait for things to get better and for people to change. Instead he and other activist, including more violent activist like the original Black Panther Party went against the grain and they showed America their dirty laundry so to speak. They made people so uncomfortable that laws were passed (In CA Reagan banned open carry due to the BPP lol), BLM is doing the same thing in this new century and political landscape and guess what....???? They are getting more police department's to get body cameras. They are getting people talking about issues that affect black people on a disparate level. People wouldn't be talking about the things that you and I are talking about without this group so again, they don't need your respect to say what they want to say or do what they want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
I agree. BLM is nothing more than a victimization, "gimme this, gimme that" group run by people who honestly are very dumb, If I had to guess, funded by wealthy Marxists like Michael Bloomberg and George Soros.

That whole thing that happened at the Bernie Sanders event in Seattle was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Did you see that Black woman? She started to yell uncontrollably, I thought she was going to have an epileptic attack.

"One minute of silence for Michael Brown" as if he was like MLK or something, these people are absolutely stupid.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I will also add that I find it refreshing that more and more black people, especially younger black Americans are realizing that getting thought of as a "different" or "good" black person by general society will not cause them to be treated any different as a black person.

Getting a white person's respect is not important. White people in general aren't' better than us and aren't important in the grand scheme of things. We don't need your (parental) approval because you are no one's lord or authority figure by nature of being white or non-black.

More young people are realizing this and are calling out the BS and I am glad that scourge of what I call the "black inferiority complex" is lessening, as I feel that is the primary issue plaguing "the black community" today.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:46 AM

398 posts, read 394,499 times
Thanks BLM. Your denial and lack of responsibility is very amusing. Keep up the entertainment. Can't wait to see you guys burn, loot and murder your own people some more. Much better than what's normally on CNN.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:50 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The black friends I know in real life do not listen to Jesse Jackson and Al sharpton. Matter of fact, I don't know anybody consider these two as black leaders.
I know one person that considers these people black leaders....... OBAMA.

Over 100 visits to the white house?

BOSS: White House visitor logs reveal over 100 visits by Al Sharpton

Old 10-01-2015, 01:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Until we can straighten up our acts and stop being influenced by the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, then I won't support this group. They're doing a great job of making themselves look like unreasonable idiots. That stunt where they blocked of highway traffic was crazy. I stopped paying attention to them after that. Then I get told about the Bernie Sanders incident and I was blown away when I saw the video. Then this recent Yankee thing with the "Blue Lives Matter". Do we want people like this representing us? Actions like that make us lose all credibility when we go to argue the validity of the group. The country doesn't take us seriously.
Thing is that everyone knows already that black lives matter.
My problem with the signs carried in protests is often they go back to the communist party of the USA, so I think the bulk of these people in the crowd with signs have been agitators to make some in the crowd do unlawful things for TV and politics.
To me that is wrong.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:24 PM

200 posts, read 278,704 times
It seems as if the only people making it a black white issue are white folks which blows my mind! The narrative doesnt have anything to do with white vs black. Some of these cops have been black as well.

But meh...

its really pretty sad actually

Old 10-01-2015, 03:50 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
It seems as if the only people making it a black white issue are white folks which blows my mind! The narrative doesnt have anything to do with white vs black. Some of these cops have been black as well.

But meh...

its really pretty sad actually

Bull**** Pure, unadulterated bull****.

The whole premises is that "unarmed black men are being slaughtered by white police men." That was the original narrative, and remains the predominant one despite you rightfully pointing out that black, asian, "Latino" (whatever that means) cops also kill black men... unarmed or otherwise.

BLM is and was explicitly sold as an "us vs. them" situation. Because for some people, they catch a cold and it's the white man's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies