Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
We can bill them all we want, but its not like they are gonna pay. Much like Trump and his fantasy of "making" Mexico pay for a wall.
We can negotiate with Mexico over it. One way is to threaten to withhold any monies we send them each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 08:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
According to a very simple phrase in our constitution people born in the United States are citizens of the United States. If you don't like this then amend the Constitution.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:52 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
One illegal is one too many and they and their offspring are still a drain on our society and if working they have take a job from an American.
My grandmother was an "illegal alien". Her entire family entered into this country via an open boat in the dark of the night.

If she hadn't come into this country, my father and all of his children (including me) wouldn't have been born.

So please forgive me if I don't view myself as a 'drain on society'.

Oh, and I guess that makes my father an "anchor baby".

Old 08-22-2015, 12:08 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
My grandmother was an "illegal alien". Her entire family entered into this country via an open boat in the dark of the night.

If she hadn't come into this country, my father and all of his children (including me) wouldn't have been born.

Sorry, but your grandmother should have been deported. That doesn't make her a bad person, or your father, or you. It just makes her an illegal. Now it's water under the bridge, but it doesn't change a thing.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:

Americans encouraged relatively free and open immigration during the 18th and early 19th centuries, and rarely questioned that policy until the late 1800s. After certain states passed immigration laws following the Civil War, the Supreme Court in 1875 declared regulation of immigration a federal responsibility. Thus, as the number of immigrants rose in the 1880s and economic conditions in some areas worsened, Congress began to pass immigration legislation.

Don't know when your grandmother entered the country, she might not be an illegal depends on the law at the time.

Myself, all my siblings, my mom and dad, ALL my grandparents from both sides were born in the United States, my grandmother's father was a traveling businessman, he still entered the country legally. Being a legal citizen is a privilege, not a right. Being a citizen means that you need to take the responsibility like pay taxes no matter where you are. My grandparents, parents, both brothers make their money overseas, still they pay taxes. we should pay taxes and support our own citizens. Our own children are starving, many families are struggling putting their children to college. Our tax dollars should be used for our own citizens, hard working American people (race doesn't matter) This is my most humble opinion.

Our country has a law. Enforce it.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Sorry, but your grandmother should have been deported. That doesn't make her a bad person, or your father, or you. It just makes her an illegal. Now it's water under the bridge, but it doesn't change a thing.
So, there's a statute of limitations on illegal immigration?

I'm OK because my grandmother's was an illegal, but someone else isn't OK because it was his mother that was illegal?

Sorry, but if I buy into that logic, I'd be an incredible hypocrite.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Americans encouraged relatively free and open immigration during the 18th and early 19th centuries, and rarely questioned that policy until the late 1800s. After certain states passed immigration laws following the Civil War, the Supreme Court in 1875 declared regulation of immigration a federal responsibility. Thus, as the number of immigrants rose in the 1880s and economic conditions in some areas worsened, Congress began to pass immigration legislation.

Don't know when your grandmother entered the country, she might not be an illegal depends on the law at the time.
She and her family entered the country in the 1920's, slipping past the local authorities.

Quote:
Being a legal citizen is a privilege, not a right.
No, citizenship at birth is a right, not a privilege. If it was a privilege, then it could be withdrawn by the government. Does the federal government have the power to strip you of your citizenship?

Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
So, there's a statute of limitations on illegal immigration?

I'm OK because my grandmother's was an illegal, but someone else isn't OK because it was his mother that was illegal?

Sorry, but if I buy into that logic, I'd be an incredible hypocrite.
No, you're ok because your father and you were born in this country and granted citizenship which isn't revocable. Your grandmother I am assuming has long since passed. You don't have to buy into anything. Illegal immigration laws are LAWS and they are there for a reason.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:52 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
She and her family entered the country in the 1920's, slipping past the local authorities.

No, citizenship at birth is a right, not a privilege. If it was a privilege, then it could be withdrawn by the government. Does the federal government have the power to strip you of your citizenship?
Then your grandmother should have been deported if she violated the law.

What is a Right? What is a privilege? What is the difference? These are obscure if not important questions. Something only an idle thinker would ever spend the time to ponder about. yet, no matter how trivial others might think it, such questions should be asked.

Your grandmother did not earn the right to be here. Many legal naturalized American citizens have earned their rights to be here. I know it is harsh, but it is what it is.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, you're ok because your father and you were born in this country and granted citizenship which isn't revocable. Your grandmother I am assuming has long since passed. You don't have to buy into anything. Illegal immigration laws are LAWS and they are there for a reason.
Yes, she died sixteen years ago. But her father did bring her and her siblings into this country illegally during the 1920's.

I read on this forum about how illegal immigration is wrong/evil/destroying the country/yadda yadda yadda... but I still can't reconcile such statements with the fact that if her father hadn't broken the law then I wouldn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies