Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Read my post. Why does it matter, for the point of THIS discusion, if it's 50 year out of date?

And I'm sure a number of burglars own cameras, and computers, and whatever else they steal, or buy with the money they stole. Do you think for some reason burglars don't like taking pictures? They are human.

RandomU

Read my post. My point is whether the police academies are perpetuating myths, which can lead to wasting officers' time and annoying the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
He responded to a citizen who was concerned about people doing something that was not "normal". People who steal from houses often case them, take pictures and watch for the owners times in residence. I would be a bit suspicious of someone doing that myself.
People casing houses usually do this at odd hours or try to blend into their surroundings (eg - hiding in the bushes, camped out in a car with binoculars). That is suspicious activity.

People walking around in the open and openly taking photographs of their surroundings is not suspicious, it is normal and many, if not millions, of tourists do this. As do residents. I’m always taking my camera when I walk my dog, you never know that you’re going to see. Merely taking pictures is not suspicious unless your paranoid.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:56 PM

"Merely taking pictures is not suspicious unless your paranoid."

If you carry a gun, anyone who looks at you then reaches into their inside jacket pocket is a "threat." It's all in the mindset. We're talking here about how one chooses to react/respond to an ambiguous situation.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM

385 posts, read 1,555,817 times
Burglars don't case places they are going to burglarize????? Yes, some do just walk or drive into a neighborhood and ring doorbells to see if people are home and if not, they do sometimes burglarize it. They often get caught quite easily too. Others case property very closely-they have their own mental check list of things they observe. They may go one day to burglarize and decide not to because the FEDX guys unexpectantly drives up. On commerical burglaries where there is a lot of property-like a tractor trailer rig full of cigarettes, they may take pictures. Most of them have cell phones that take pictures.

Oh, this isn't based on anything except having interviewed hundreds of them and asking them those very questions. Sorry, I don't have any other references.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Let's try again. What facts? Did those documents rely on facts? Or is it more like the oral traditions of local police departments?
Perhaps years of experience in law enforcement.

Quote:
How many burglars do you know who own a camera
I dont know any burglars. How many do you know?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:02 PM

Do you always answer a question with another question?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:02 PM

307 posts, read 522,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Read my post. My point is whether the police academies are perpetuating myths, which can lead to wasting officers' time and annoying the public.
If it is an Urban Myth as you seem to think, then it doesn't matter. You can't fight an urban myth that many police and civilians believe without a lot of publicity and research.

If you feel that strongly then do the research, start up a website, Spend the time. But I doubt it matters that much to you (other than as a point to try to criticize the police), the police, or the public. If you won't spend the time then why do you expect the police who have far more important things to do to spend the time?

RandomU

Last edited by RandomU; 01-28-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Do you always avoid answering questions?LOL.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
If it is an Urban Myth as you seem to think, then it doesn't matter. You can't fight an urban myth that many police and civilians believe without a lot of publicity and research.

If you feel that strongly then do the research, start up a website, Spend the time. But I doubt it matters that much to you (other than as a point to try to criticize the police), the police, or the public. If you won't spend the time then why do you expect the police who have far more important things to do to spend the time?

RandomU

Remember that I started by asking a question, which you don't seem to have the answer for. That's OK. And don't go jumping to conclusions on such a flimsy basis.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM

307 posts, read 522,003 times
ParkTwain

Your argument has no bearing on weather the officer acted reasonably. He had a reasonable belief, weather accuarate or not and acted upon it. You seem to want to take this thread away from the main topic of "An officer stopping a person after receiving a complaint".

Does this mean you agree the officer acted reasonably? If not then why do you feel he didn't? If you do think he acted reasonably then there isn't really anything left to discuss that I can see.

RandomU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies