Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
Sounds to me like the cop was doing what he was trained to do.
He recieved a radio call of suspicious activity.
He responded to the area and made contact.
He ascertained the business of the OP in the area.
He obtained identification.
He ran a warrant check.
No warrants were found.
He ended his contact and the OP went on her way.

He probably completed a field interview report or a log entry regarding the contact.

That is what cops are trained to do.
Exactly. The OP and other whiners here crying "police-state" would be first ones to scream bloody murder if they called the cops on some suspicious behavior and the cops didn't follow up.

Here's a story for you. I bought a new pair of binoculars at a store. On the way home, I stopped at the supermarket, bought groceries, and noticed a scenic mountaintop. So I opened the new binoculars and decided to test them out. Cop bangs on my door and demanded to see my ID. Post-911 paranoia you say? Hardly. The year was 1990. Racial profiling? Nope, I'm white. It happens. I got over it.

The bad guys in this world are constantly inventing new ways to mess up your lives, and the government has little choice but to keep pace and invent new ways to keep up with them. Be very thankful for that. You think having your ID checked is an inconvenience? How about getting your house robbed, your kids kidnapped, or you or your kids being raped or murdered? Or maybe getting your workplace blown up. Any of those would really mess up your day, huh?

The OP has absolutely no idea why the cop needed to check them out. Maybe he had good reason, or maybe he's an idiot. Doesn't really matter, because he's the guy who signed up for the job to keep me and my family safe. If not him, then who? People whining about getting their ID checked, or the guy screaming "oh heaven's we're losing our freedoms"? No thanks.

"Boo-hoo, a cop asked me for my ID today".

Last edited by kdog; 01-27-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,652 times
I'm reading post after post here regarding taking photos of houses in residential areas...suspicious...pedophiles...etc.

Quote:
If I had strangers walking around my neighborhood, taking pictures of the houses where families with children live, I would certainly report it.
What is wrong with you?

As a hobby photographer, I take pictures of all sorts of things, whether it's a cactus out in the desert or a beautiful old home dating from the 1800s. What exactly is weird about photographing houses? If I saw someone loitering around my home, casing it out, and taking numerous photos of the same thing - sure, that might strike me as odd and I'd probably - now get ready for this wild & crazy idea - just go ask them what they were doing. But seeing three people strolling down the street just taking random photos and minding their business? That's grounds for reporting them to the police?

This is such a close-minded, fearful, possessive society. I'm shaking my head in disbelief. And I thought I was paranoid...

Old 01-27-2008, 12:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
I'm reading post after post here regarding taking photos of houses in residential areas...suspicious...pedophiles...etc.

What is wrong with you?

As a hobby photographer, I take pictures of all sorts of things, whether it's a cactus out in the desert or a beautiful old home dating from the 1800s. What exactly is weird about photographing houses? If I saw someone loitering around my home, casing it out, and taking numerous photos of the same thing - sure, that might strike me as odd and I'd probably - now get ready for this wild & crazy idea - just go ask them what they were doing. But seeing three people strolling down the street just taking random photos and minding their business? That's grounds for reporting them to the police?

This is such a close-minded, fearful, possessive society. I'm shaking my head in disbelief. And I thought I was paranoid...
I think what we're overlooking here is one simple thing--DEGREE. I don't like it ONE BIT that we can't live in a totally 'free' society, and be treated as responsible, rational adults. But that's simply not possible, not in an 'open' society....

What is often missing from such stories, though, is HOW MUCH we're oppressed. What EXACTLY happened here, or happens many times in 'run-ins' with the law?.

In this case, the folks were stopped and talked to by the police--were asked for ID--were inconvenienced briefly (and a little annoyed)--and then went on about their business. They weren't really detained---weren't 'roughed up'--weren't 'threatened'---weren't tasered, or even shouted at. Annoying, perhaps, and a disappointing sign of modern times....but a LONG way from police abuse, in my view.

Do I like it? Not a bit. Do I see any alternative? Frankly, no...

Old 01-27-2008, 01:33 PM

307 posts, read 522,042 times
Getting in kind of late myself but no one did anything wrong.

The Photographer was perfectly within her rights to take pctures in a public area for her own private use. No question there.

The neighbor was perfectly within her right, apparently she was suspicious. Some people are. It's her house and if she want's to call the police thats within her rights. Add in any number of possible facts such as recent breakins, her being a past crime victim, her being nude when she saw the photographer and you have a perfecyly reasonable action.

The officer was perfectly withn his rights nd might well have been remiss if he had questioned you. Questioning does not violate any rights. Police in the US (and in all countries I am aware of) can question someone

The officer asked for ID. Officers can do that. The Photographer can refuse. She chose not to hold her ground, but she could have legally. Mind you in many states yo MUST identify your self when an officer asks, that however does not mean that you must show them ID.

So no one did anything wrong. Get back to me when we have a real violation of someones rights.

Random U

Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
What is wrong with you?

Doesn't sound like you people have lost your freedom, it sounds like you have lost your minds.

If we all knew the motives of everyone taking pictures of houses... neighborhoods... whatever, this wouldn't be an issue. The thing is WE DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE! You could easily be a criminal, of any type, scoping out a neighborhood... And what better way to create a plan of attack than with photo-documentation? On the other side of the coin you could just be leisurely taking photographs. Well guess what... the former takes the most precedence and you are going to have to expect suspicion when your walking around a neighborhood taking popshots.

Get used to it, its the type kind of regulation and security that the majority of America wants and will always want, including myself. I enjoy my crime free neighborhood, I like to know where sex-offenders live, I like knowing that cops out there aren't shirking their duties. Its what I pay for, its what I want, deal with it and quit treating cops like they are government controlled robots, because they are people too, they are your neighbors, they are everything that you are but maybe a little more since even though they torture and harass you, they still risk their lives for you every day without even knowing who the hell you are.

And you think Americans who value their security are selfish... thats really disgusting.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
If I saw someone taking pictures of my property I would be concerned. Why do you need a pic of my house? If you wanted one why didn't you knock on my door and ask?
I live in the sticks. If I see someone stop near my house and idle for a while I get concerned especially If I don't recognize the car. Where I live everyone knows everyone else. I might call the police if they act strange. Like if I go outside and they peel out trying to avoid being seen.
Maybe they are lost no big deal it happens. Or maybe they are looking for their next victim. One way to find out is to let the police earn their pay.
The cop did his job. No harm no foul.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If I saw someone taking pictures of my property I would be concerned. Why do you need a pic of my house? If you wanted one why didn't you knock on my door and ask?
I live in the sticks. If I see someone stop near my house and idle for a while I get concerned especially If I don't recognize the car. Where I live everyone knows everyone else. I might call the police if they act strange. Like if I go outside and they peel out trying to avoid being seen.
Maybe they are lost no big deal it happens. Or maybe they are looking for their next victim. One way to find out is to let the police earn their pay.
Only one thing wrong with your argument. The OP was not taking pictures of anybodys houses. She said so in her first post. So for those who will not read the origional post I have to question why you are attempting to answer it.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:19 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well said. My sentiments exactly on this topic.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:19 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Only one thing wrong with your argument. The OP was not taking pictures of anybodys houses. She said so in her first post. So for those who will not read the origional post I have to question why you are attempting to answer it.
The officer claimed that he was called due a to a person taking pictures of houses, the OP claims she wasn't. She was let go without any hassle and the cop did everything by the book.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:22 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The op stated that someone had reported that photos were being taken of their property so I imagine that anyone strolling around in the vicinity with a camera would be questioned. I think that answers your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies