Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times

Advertisements

You can see salaries at your local post office at these links.
The old timers make much more the new hires, many of whom are hourly.

The 2nd link shows date hired.

Search USPS Pay Rates - fedsdatacenter.com/usps-pay-rates

USPS Search - php.app.com/usps/search.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 11:05 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Ok, since some are curious, here is the relevant tracking.

FedEx tracking says it's scheduled to be delivered to my mail box by USPS carrier on Friday.

FedEx delivered it to my local post office Wednesday morning. Scanned in by USPS at 10:54 AM Wednesday.

Our USPS mail is generally delivered around 2:00 or 2:30 PM....give or take.

So by "about two days" in this case I'm using the time from Wednesday at 10:54 AM until Friday at 2:00 PM. That's what......about 51 hours, or 2.13 days I guess ? To be fair, our FedEx deliveries don't usually come until early to mid afternoon. So using that scenario, we're looking at about 48 hours later for USPS or exactly 2 days later.

I would be safe to assume that FedEx would have delivered it to me (if it hadn't been shipped Smart Post) Wednesday by mid afternoon as is usual.
He got to your house around 2, since everyone can't be the first delivery of the day it meant FedEx missed the cutoff time of generally about 9 when the first deliveries were being made. It is amazing people think letter carriers only serve them and not 300 to 3500 other distinct addresses in a service day

Old 08-21-2015, 11:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
After several decades of sending thousands of letters and packages thru USPS I can only remember few that never made it.

Works.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:37 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
He got to your house around 2, since everyone can't be the first delivery of the day it meant FedEx missed the cutoff time of generally about 9 when the first deliveries were being made. It is amazing people think letter carriers only serve them and not 300 to 3500 other distinct addresses in a service day

I may be missing your point....please explain.

My question is this. If FedEx delivered this package to the post office at 10:54 AM on Wednesday, why would this not be on a USPS carrier vehicle for my Thursday delivery ? Why did it have to sit at the post office all day Thursday and not be delivered until Friday ?

I would think anything coming in Wednesday morning would certainly be arriving at the post office in time for getting loaded onto a carrier vehicle Thursday morning for delivery Thursday afternoon, wouldn't you ? That's after all more than 24 hours, and I'd think they would go through the sorting, loading and delivery process one complete time every 24 hours.....but I guess I'd be wrong on that assumption.

Do Post Office deliveries for Thursday need to be in house before 10:54 AM on Wednesday ? That just makes no sense to me. I gather from what you're saying that to ensure a Thursday delivery, the package would need to be in house at my local post office by Tuesday at some point ?

Old 08-22-2015, 04:43 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What purpose does the post office serve anymore? Other than to suck tax money?

I had a package sent from Prescott, Az, to Kingman Az. Two towns on the same road a three hour drive apart. The package was sent Monday. Today is Friday. The package has gone from Prescott to Phoenix (150 miles in the wrong direction) then from Phoenix to Las Vegas (150 miles north of Kingman) now finally, after five days and 1,000 miles the package is supposed to arrive today.

And they wonder why the PO is broke. Duh.

Then there is the ignorant anti gun law that keeps legal gun owners from carrying their licensed concealed firearm into often isolated and closed post offices putting them at risk.

I say we should just abolish the PO. Use email or FedEx.
Depends on how you sent it. USPS is much less expensive than UPS, FEDEX for domestic or international shipments. No broker fees as well for international ones. If electing priority or express they provide the boxing and forms. You do the postage online and save further costs. They deliver on Sat. as a norm which the others charge extra for. Mail travel includes the weekend while UPS does not count day of pickup or weekends. Ship from Miami to CA in 3 days including weekends whereas UPS takes 5 business days for ground excluding weekends.

Occasionally things to occur. Dealing with humans and software. Deal with it.

I pay about $40,000 in USPS shipping costs annually with solid results.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:31 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I may be missing your point....please explain.

My question is this. If FedEx delivered this package to the post office at 10:54 AM on Wednesday, why would this not be on a USPS carrier vehicle for my Thursday delivery ? Why did it have to sit at the post office all day Thursday and not be delivered until Friday ?

I would think anything coming in Wednesday morning would certainly be arriving at the post office in time for getting loaded onto a carrier vehicle Thursday morning for delivery Thursday afternoon, wouldn't you ? That's after all more than 24 hours, and I'd think they would go through the sorting, loading and delivery process one complete time every 24 hours.....but I guess I'd be wrong on that assumption.

Do Post Office deliveries for Thursday need to be in house before 10:54 AM on Wednesday ? That just makes no sense to me. I gather from what you're saying that to ensure a Thursday delivery, the package would need to be in house at my local post office by Tuesday at some point ?
Okay when a shipper chooses to use smartpost or surepost it is to avoid FedEx's and UPS's surcharges for residential and Saturday deliveries so they subcontract the USPS to provide last mile delivery. However they are not paying the USPS the priority rate so it does not move with the priority and first class mail stream. Overtime and extraordinary measures are not used to move it as it moves in a space available status like what is called junk mail. As FedEx and UPS choose to pay the junk mail rates when they offered the discounts on the small items to get the shippers to stay with them on the bigger items. All three services chose the cheapest option available to them rather than everything that hits the office today goes out today as is the standard for first class mail.

It may have cost a bit more to choose the higher cost option inthe first place but then free or non priority shipping was chosen in the first place to save money. that savings of money is what cost you the extra day. If the highest cost option was chosen the piece would have went out with any available staff on Wednesday, if the intermediate cost option was chosen it would have went ahead of the line of other parcel post, surepost and smartpost pieces and went on Thursday. However if the load was light and staff was available on Thursday the piece would have went instead of waiting on Friday.

Then there is the chance it was misrouted to the wrong carrier on Thursday and being an equivalent of junk mail no extraordinary handling took place for another carrier to work overtime to correct the routing mistake.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:32 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
It's not rocket science to ask where I want to send a package and print out a stamp - maybe ask if I want tracking if they really feel ambitious that day. It's simply a motivation factor. There is none. They remain comfortably employed no matter what their work performance is. Same goes for many gov't agencies, especially those dealing with the public - TSA, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You mean they are clueless as to knowing what they're doing? Anyway, I know of USPS window clerks, who always turn down early out offers because they love their jobs along with the good pay and benefits too much to walk away.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
USPS employment peaked in 1999 at 797, 795 and has been shedding jobs ever since.

2014 USPS employment was 488,300 similar to what it was in 1966 when mail volume was a fraction of 2014 rates.

Technology and Lean Management practices eliminated 209,495 middle class jobs over the past 15 years.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:29 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you blame the post office, but they have regulations they have to follow as set down by congress. so why not blame congress instead? overall the post office does a pretty darn good job of getting the mail to where it needs to go in a timely manner. so go ahead and complain about a petty issue that happens even with fedex and UPS at about the same rate it does with the post office.
I agree with where the responsibility is, and to a large extent it's about Congress meddling in the day-to-day operations of the Post Office.

And, I buy a fair amount of stuff online. Sometimes the goods are shipped by one of the private services, sometimes by the Post Office. There may be a slight difference is speed of delivery, but very little. And the Post Office packages I've gotten...well, I've gotten them.

I've never known of a single letter that I have sent or received that has not arrived reasonably timely.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My GUESS is that if the USPS were to be eliminated, UPS would probably step in and do it for a better price than what the government actually costs.
I doubt it. I rarely mail a letter any more, but I think the price of a stamp is very reasonable. I hear all sorts of horror stories, but almost every delivery service (UPS and Fedex) use the local post office for delivery these days.

I just ordered vitamins online Tues, they were shipped on Wed via Fedex and will be delivered by my local Post Office for delivery tomorrow. I ordered vacuum cleaner bags from Amazon a few weeks ago, and didn't realize until I placed my order they were being shipped from California. I figured it would take a long time, but I got the package (sent via First Class Parcel) in 5 days.

Yes, I do have some complaints about the USPS. I've even posted them on C-D in the past. The tracking is usually inaccurate and rarely updated. However, I still believe that it's the most reasonably priced service available. I used to rent a UPS box and was charged 3 times the cost of a U.S. Post Office Box. Since the UPS stores are franchises, I think they can set their own prices, but it was $15 a month for a small box. A U.S. Post Office Box is $60 a year. I travel, so the mail forwarding was very convenient. I switched back to a P.O. Box and, after being away for 2 months, I sent my key to a friend and asked him to pick up my mail. He said the box was full, so I sent him enough to cover Priority Mail and a small "thank you" gift. I was very grateful for his help, but it was 90% junk.

I'm sure the reason why the Post Office has lots millions is because most people use bill-pay, auto-pay or pay their bills at the company's website. Also, about 30 million people file their taxes online.

This is a 4 year old article, but I agree with it. The reason isn't that it is inefficient, but it has become irrelevant.

[URL="http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2011/12/06/why-the-postal-service-is-going-out-of-business/"]Why the Postal Service Is Going Out of Business[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies