Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:55 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times

Advertisements

From Yahoo - "The National Safety Council reported this week that traffic deaths and serious injuries in the U.S. are on a pace to rise for the first time in nearly a decade. If the trend for the first six months of this year continues, the NSC says traffic fatalities in the nation will exceed 40,000 for the first time since 2007 and deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled also will increase."

The Traffic View function on Google maps is my bff for my daily commute. There is an accident every day of the week on one of the two highways I drive to work. Everyone points their fingers at cell phones for being the culprit, and I'm always amazed when I pass someone going 60 and they're looking down at their laps. But the complex multi-function interfaces on auto dashboards don't help - I recently rented a popular SUV with a separate 250 page instruction manual just for the radio, GPS and hands-free cell phone.

However, IMO there is a level of anger and rudeness on the roads that is far more troubling than any digital device. A lot of accidents I observe happen around highway entrances where cars try to merge into oncoming traffic - people get very passionate about their place on the road. I hate the idea of driverless cars, but as the highways get more crowded it sounds like a better idea.

There are all kinds of PSA's on radio and TV about texting and driving, but I'd love to hear an equal number of ads about general rudeness on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 AM

33 posts, read 42,905 times
Perhaps lower gas prices are allowing people to drive more. More drivers, more accidents.

Speeding is probably the number one cause of deadly accidents. Add that to the distractions you mentioned and its easy to see an increase in vehicular deaths.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:10 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
The economy is better so more people are on the road. Not to mention the population is increasing.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:12 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
I don't see how blame can be ascribed (yet). This is a six-month trend, and rudeness, speeding, and digital devices have been around for years.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:14 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,126 times
Definitely speed.
Just look at the autobahn.
Deadliest road on the planet.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,568 times
It's <insert_favorite_obsession_nere>.

*wrings hands in great worry*

Old 08-21-2015, 09:17 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Data phones.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:19 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
I walk along a 1.7 mile dam, as I am walking toward traffic I see at least 3 in ten drivers have a hand-held phone stuck to their face. Even in cars in which you would think they have a integrated bluetooth system.

IMO, this is why.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:20 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From Yahoo - "The National Safety Council reported this week that traffic deaths and serious injuries in the U.S. are on a pace to rise for the first time in nearly a decade. If the trend for the first six months of this year continues, the NSC says traffic fatalities in the nation will exceed 40,000 for the first time since 2007 and deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled also will increase."

The Traffic View function on Google maps is my bff for my daily commute. There is an accident every day of the week on one of the two highways I drive to work. Everyone points their fingers at cell phones for being the culprit, and I'm always amazed when I pass someone going 60 and they're looking down at their laps. But the complex multi-function interfaces on auto dashboards don't help - I recently rented a popular SUV with a separate 250 page instruction manual just for the radio, GPS and hands-free cell phone.

However, IMO there is a level of anger and rudeness on the roads that is far more troubling than any digital device. A lot of accidents I observe happen around highway entrances where cars try to merge into oncoming traffic - people get very passionate about their place on the road. I hate the idea of driverless cars, but as the highways get more crowded it sounds like a better idea.

There are all kinds of PSA's on radio and TV about texting and driving, but I'd love to hear an equal number of ads about general rudeness on the roads.
I have had more drifters recently than can remember. They are usually looking down As someone else suggested, perhaps with lower fuel costs there are more miles spent=more problems. Should be an easy one to equate if thats the case... but really would love to see people pay more attention when they're driving and STOP TEXTING WHILE DRIVING.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:22 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The economy is better so more people are on the road. Not to mention the population is increasing.
It is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies