Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
So how many years/decades were you abstinent before you took pregnancy out of the equation? I'm pretty sure I can guess the answer...
I was married at the time and we had and wanted our 4th child. Our 4th child was to be our last. I opted to have the surgery instead of my then wife, because it was easier for me to get it than it was for her. That was 33 years ago. Does that answer your question?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Who's body is it?

Mine.

And if BC fails, I will decide what to do about it, not you.
That's right, but I should not be required to pay for your irresponsibility through taxes or higher insurance premiums. It's on you and the baby daddy... I didn't get you pregnant and neither did anyone else... Accept responsibility for you own actions.. That is all I am saying here.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:06 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That's right, but I should not be required to pay for your irresponsibility through taxes or higher insurance premiums. It's on you and the baby daddy... I didn't get you pregnant and neither did anyone else... Accept responsibility for you own actions.. That is all I am saying here.
So, you are pro-choice as long as you don't pay for it?

BTW, what should be done with children who have parents that can't afford to care for them without the help of taxpayer's money?

Old 08-23-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
So, you are pro-choice as long as you don't pay for it?

BTW, what should be done with children who have parents that can't afford to care for them without the help of taxpayer's money?
I am pro life for myself but pro choice for the general public as long as the general public is not responsible for paying for the abortion. I am not responsible if a couple decide to have sex when they are not prepared to pay for an abortion or to afford to raise a child.
Young people have turned to family members throughout history when they get in over their heads. That is what family is supposed to be for. To help one another . Also before we entered into the nanny state, churches did help with such situations. Adoption is also another viable answer to a young couple who can't afford to raise a family.. There are plenty of options without the responsibility falling on the taxpayer. Not saying you have to like my principles or even agree with them . You want your principles respected, respect mine.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:46 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
I was married at the time and we had and wanted our 4th child. Our 4th child was to be our last. I opted to have the surgery instead of my then wife, because it was easier for me to get it than it was for her. That was 33 years ago. Does that answer your question?
No, you are dodging the question. I'll rephrase: before you were married, before you decided to have children, when you did not want to have children how long were you abstinent?

And, I'll add another: if your surgery didn't quite take and your wife got pregnant again - a 5th and unplanned for child - what would you have done? Who would you have blamed?

Old 08-23-2015, 12:54 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
I am pro life for myself but pro choice for the general public as long as the general public is not responsible for paying for the abortion. I am not responsible if a couple decide to have sex when they are not prepared to pay for an abortion or to afford to raise a child.
Young people have turned to family members throughout history when they get in over their heads. That is what family is supposed to be for. To help one another . Also before we entered into the nanny state, churches did help with such situations. Adoption is also another viable answer to a young couple who can't afford to raise a family.. There are plenty of options without the responsibility falling on the taxpayer. Not saying you have to like my principles or even agree with them . You want your principles respected, respect mine.
I don't like paying for other people's bad decisions anymore than you do.

The difference between us is that I am a realist.

This country will never restrict people's right to have children, whether they can afford them or not. It is considered a "God given right", so that will never change.

This country will never allow the children of the irresponsible to wander the streets looking for food like they do in third world countries.

Unlike you, I have no problem paying for birth control or abortion, I see it as fiscally sound management of my tax dollars.

I also find it unconscionable that pro-lifers feel they are special and should get to cherry pick what their tax dollars are used for. Why are their beliefs more important than mine? Why can't I choose how my tax dollars are spent too?

People that are against the death penalty don't get to opt out of paying taxes that support the prison system that executes people.

People who are against a war don't get to opt out of paying taxes that are used to fight that war.

People who are against foreign aid don't get to opt out of paying taxes used for foreign aid.

When it comes to paying taxes, pro-lifers shouldn't get special treatment.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:04 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Unborn humans are now equivalent to cows. The modern left, ladies and gentlemen.
Then why don't you demand that all researched be banned on fetal tissue?

Old 08-23-2015, 01:36 AM

Quote:
I don't like paying for other people's bad decisions anymore than you do.

The difference between us is that I am a realist.

This country will never restrict people's right to have children, whether they can afford them or not. It is considered a "God given right", so that will never change.

This country will never allow the children of the irresponsible to wander the streets looking for food like they do in third world countries.

Unlike you, I have no problem paying for birth control or abortion, I see it as fiscally sound management of my tax dollars.

I also find it unconscionable that pro-lifers feel they are special and should get to cherry pick what their tax dollars are used for. Why are their beliefs more important than mine? Why can't I choose how my tax dollars are spent too?

People that are against the death penalty don't get to opt out of paying taxes that support the prison system that executes people.

People who are against a war don't get to opt out of paying taxes that are used to fight that war.

People who are against foreign aid don't get to opt out of paying taxes used for foreign aid.

When it comes to paying taxes, pro-lifers shouldn't get special treatment.
I am a probably considerably older than you. I was around when abortions weren't paid for by insurance or by our tax dollars. Abortions were a state decision. If you wanted an abortion, you went to a state that performed them and you paid for and received an abortion. ( there were private sources of funding to help pay for them then too) I can also remember a time when there was no food stamps. What there was were commodities. It was good nutritional food, but frankly it wasn't usually too tasty. (I remember the peanut butter tasting stale) Even then people didn't starve to death and honestly it was a pretty good incentive to improve your life. Also before the government stepped in, and took over, churches and other civic groups shouldered the responsibility of caring for the needy in our society. Because I am for my part pro life, why should you get to decide anymore than I where my tax dollars are spent? You say you don't, however pushing your agenda, you have forced me to. I am not saying that I want an opt out for myself, I want an opt out for everyone. Perhaps times were more difficult when I was young, but it created a more responsible society overall when you had to pay for your own mistakes instead of knowing that a government agency was going to bail you out. I turn your question around. Why do you get to cherry pick what programs you will support and what programs that I would like you would like to opt out of. Obviously neither of us is going to be able to opt out of any government program but we will see them continually expanded as have social services incrementally over the last half century. I tried opting out of a war once. instead I got to go fight in it. Opting out has not worked well for me. You call yourself a realist, but you only look to one place to solve the problems of the world. Good old uncle sugar. Well, there have been other means to achieve the same goals without government intervention and they worked for many years without government. If you want to find a bottomless pit to throw money into, throw it into the federal budget.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:43 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
Your argument is full of holes.
1. Not everyone who has an unplanned pregnancy is a "young person." There are plenty of women who have unplanned pregnancies in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. It happens all the time.

2. Some "young people" are kicked out of the house or told they have to have an abortion to remain in the home. What then? Where should they go? Who should be responsible?

3. Churches will "help" women with unplanned pregnancies give their babies up for adoption, they often illegally "helped" women get rid of their babies in the past. Very few churches will fund a young woman from conception to when her child starts pre-k in order for her to keep the baby. Some will help in some ways, or they will only help when she's pregnant, but she would largely be left on her own if she relied solely on a church to help her raise her child.

4. It is very easy for people to say "just give your baby up for adoption!" when they have absolutely no conception (ha ha, no pun intended) of how difficult it is to relinquish a child. I have seen women I know go through it and it is something they carry with them their whole lives. It is not an easy solution under any circumstances. Furthermore, adoption is NO guarantee that the child will go to a good family, much less a "better" family than the birth mother would be. Wealthier maybe, but not necessarily better.

I don't get this argument against public funding for abortion. We, the people, pay for all kinds of things we don't like or don't even think about. I don't like my taxes going to pay for the invasion of other sovereign countries and killing people, but there's nothing I can do about it. You may not like the idea of funding abortion, but public funding of an abortion is a heck of a lot cheaper than public funding for that child's birth, medical care, WIC, food stamps, and subsidized day care - ALL of which are required if you want to force women to give birth when they are financially unable to raise a child.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Your argument is full of holes.
1. Not everyone who has an unplanned pregnancy is a "young person." There are plenty of women who have unplanned pregnancies in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. It happens all the time.

2. Some "young people" are kicked out of the house or told they have to have an abortion to remain in the home. What then? Where should they go? Who should be responsible?

3. Churches will "help" women with unplanned pregnancies give their babies up for adoption, they often illegally "helped" women get rid of their babies in the past. Very few churches will fund a young woman from conception to when her child starts pre-k in order for her to keep the baby. Some will help in some ways, or they will only help when she's pregnant, but she would largely be left on her own if she relied solely on a church to help her raise her child.

4. It is very easy for people to say "just give your baby up for adoption!" when they have absolutely no conception (ha ha, no pun intended) of how difficult it is to relinquish a child. I have seen women I know go through it and it is something they carry with them their whole lives. It is not an easy solution under any circumstances. Furthermore, adoption is NO guarantee that the child will go to a good family, much less a "better" family than the birth mother would be. Wealthier maybe, but not necessarily better.

I don't get this argument against public funding for abortion. We, the people, pay for all kinds of things we don't like or don't even think about. I don't like my taxes going to pay for the invasion of other sovereign countries and killing people, but there's nothing I can do about it. You may not like the idea of funding abortion, but public funding of an abortion is a heck of a lot cheaper than public funding for that child's birth, medical care, WIC, food stamps, and subsidized day care - ALL of which are required if you want to force women to give birth when they are financially unable to raise a child.
1. If you are in your 20's 30's or 40's and you don't know what causes pregnancy or don't take steps to prevent it, it's on you. You can't say you didn't know.

2. If you are a "young person" you are your parents responsibility

3. Churches don't have limitless funding, sometimes you may have to go to more than one source for help. There are also civic groups that will help.

4. It's just as easy for people to say, just get an abortion and there is in many cases later remorse that lasts a lifetime. (I have personal knowledge of this)

Eliminate WIC, food stamps and subsidized day care. Promote responsibility in society. Reinstate commodities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies