Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 05:45 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I jumped off the Libertarian train wreck around 2010 after realizing that the movement was made up of crooked liars who just wanted to feather nests and full of dupes that believe in slogans. Fast forward to 2015, and the most popular candidate of the GOP is not Rand Paul, it's Trump. Rand has less than 10% poll support, and no matter what gimmicks he tries to pull, he can barely budge. With Trump being so popular, it's clear who the GOP electorate really wants, it's definitely not Libertarian. Thanks to Trump, the Republican voter has rediscovered their love of trade protectionism and what I call "cultural protectionism". Libertarians, real Libertarians, do not believe in protectionism or restricted borders. I was one of the first wave to give the Pauls the finger, and now more people are jumping off that sinking ship called Rand Paul
I don't think Libertarian as a political view is dying. It might be small but it is paraded out every 4 years or so in front of the Republicans to be laughed at...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The cotton gin. Or in other words, technology. That's not to say another 20 years of slavery would have been a good thing but it would have ended with the advancing technology.
What about the owning people as property aspect? Property rights are very important to Libertarians, aren't they?

Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
... Of course people will mess up from time to time. That happens with government or without, but at least we wouldn't be acting like it's okay to steal or attack innocent people. Sticking with the slavery analogy, you wouldn't say "Because of human nature, we should stop speaking out against slavery. It has always existed, so we should just keep it because it works. Even if we got rid of it, some people might still try to have slaves, so I still support slavery. ...
Human nature creates slavery. Human nature ends slavery. Human nature is not fixed in stone, we evolve, we are free, we choose, we create, we destroy, we adapt, we dance, we change, we keep moving & so on.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
What about the owning people as property aspect? Property rights are very important to Libertarians, aren't they?
A question was asked. I answered it. Do you dispute my answer?

To own someone you would have to provide for them. If they are not providing a service they are no longer needed. The fewer need the less of a push against laws banning it.

Now one can ask themselves if a war and the many dead was worth the years it would have naturally happened and it could be an interesting topic but I've answered the question.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
A question was asked. I answered it. Do you dispute my answer?

To own someone you would have to provide for them. If they are not providing a service they are no longer needed. The fewer need the less of a push against laws banning it.

Now one can ask themselves if a war and the many dead was worth the years it would have naturally happened and it could be an interesting topic but I've answered the question.
This is one of the reasons why Libertarianism is dying or already dead.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why Libertarianism is dying or already dead.
So, it's dying because someone is actually answering the questions?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
So, it's dying because someone is actually answering the questions?
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Seems you do.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Seems you do.
Gotta admit it would be nice to get a rational answer, not interested in re-animating a dying quasi-religion.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:44 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
The Non Aggression Principle. Unless the slavery is voluntarily agreed upon between all parties, it is verboten.
And you own yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies