Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
You don't need a government to apply a philosophy. You just need a critical mass of people to accept it and try to live by it. I'm not disagreeing that certain mechanisms need to be in place, by the way. The good guys need to do something against the bad guys so that there are negative consequences for doing bad.

We have to use philosophy to establish a foundation first. That will be the guide for a society (as it is now, and has always been). What I'm trying to say is that a foundational philosophy that says "people only have the rights that the majority gives them" will have very negative practical effects. We should be agreeing to respect every individual's rights universally so that we can have a more peaceful society.
That's not a philosophy. That's just a recognition of how the world works. That's something that you should be keenly aware of if you travel to other countries. Rights are not universal. The rights that you have in the US are a product of the society that you live in and the people that inhabit this country. Those rights do not extend beyond the borders of the country.

Once that is understood, then you can have a better understanding of why we have certain rights to begin with. If you feel you have the right to property, then who gave you that right? Who allowed you to claim a piece of land and decide that you could keep it for yourself? Your fellow citizens did and they enforce your claim through the mechanism of the government. And in return you are expected to respect the property rights of others and enforce their claims as well. In most places, you are required to pay a property tax. Now you might not like that, but that is method your fellow citizens have decided to use to fund the government which protects your claims and the claims of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 09:56 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think social contract isn't a literal contract. Think of it this way, it's the whole you live in a uptopian town, you have to act in accordance to their rules or face sanctions. You can easily move towns. You can move to another country too.
The existence of one state means there will never be freedom. States operate minus concern for the NAP. That means their hand is long and can find you anywhere. It only takes one state.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Especially the way hardcore libertarians want it to be with no government. How do we get to that kind of anarchy peacefully? I'm not knocking anarchy, just the approach to get there...
I think folks like Ben Franklin were pragmatic anarchists. I like that about them .

Peace

Old 08-30-2015, 10:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The assault and theft come into play when the state (a 3rd party) forces the man to sell to the woman. We see it all the time when people are denied service. They run to daddy government and squeal on them so they are punished or forced to sell (which is theft).

It's easy to understand. In fact, it's the basic plot to most Brady Bunch episodes. Lol.
That is IF they report it to daddy government when they are refused a sale based on protected classes. If they just walk away and do nothing, they lose a sale, maybe several at most and no fines or anything. I'm not saying it don't happen, just maybe not as much as you may think.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I think folks like Ben Franklin were pragmatic anarchists. I like that about them .

Peace
Where does owning human beings fit in with anarchy? Or is that the "pragmatic" part? LOL

Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I have no vision for you...that's all. Once free from the state do as you wish: ask me to join a contract, kill yourself, pick your nose, etc. I don't care. The NAP is the beginning and end of freedom.
You have no vision nor do you have plausible ideas for implementation for your ideas.

& you have not been able to give an example where individuals in the US have agreed to commit aggression against each other.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
That is IF they report it to daddy government when they are refused a sale based on protected classes. If they just walk away and do nothing, they lose a sale, maybe several at most and no fines or anything. I'm not saying it don't happen, just maybe not as much as you may think.
Even if not reported you are still violating the state's law.

You do realize you and I both break several (if not many) laws per day? (Hopefully less for me with my CJ background )

The state may or may not catch us. They may or may not decide to pursue force. We may or may not know we broke some of these laws.

That all makes sense since it's based on a fictional contract.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Where does owning human beings fit in with anarchy? Or is that the "pragmatic" part? LOL

I don't have that 'all or nothing' thing going on.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You have no vision nor do you have plausible ideas for implementation for your ideas.

& you have not been able to give an example where individuals in the US have agreed to commit aggression against each other.
I don't need a vision. Freedom begins and ends with the NAP. I wasn't put on this earth to solve all your problems or society's problems. There's a word for that mindset: megalomania. I can spend my entire lifetime working on 1/10 of my own faults. I have no delusion to think I know who you are, what you value to make decisions for you.

Examples of aggression: voting, calling the police, holding political office, owning property outside the means of production.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
That's not a philosophy. That's just a recognition of how the world works. That's something that you should be keenly aware of if you travel to other countries. Rights are not universal. The rights that you have in the US are a product of the society that you live in and the people that inhabit this country. Those rights do not extend beyond the borders of the country.

Once that is understood, then you can have a better understanding of why we have certain rights to begin with. If you feel you have the right to property, then who gave you that right? Who allowed you to claim a piece of land and decide that you could keep it for yourself? Your fellow citizens did and they enforce your claim through the mechanism of the government. And in return you are expected to respect the property rights of others and enforce their claims as well. In most places, you are required to pay a property tax. Now you might not like that, but that is method your fellow citizens have decided to use to fund the government which protects your claims and the claims of others.
All of this is appreciated, thanks & respect. It even contains practical travel advice!

& even brought to mind Pierre-Joseph Proudhon's idea of Property is theft!.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_is_theft!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies