Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:42 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
If you can assure us, you can back up your claim. As it stands there are at least 2 of us in this thread who are active and know the rules. What you say is happening is against the rules.
There are at least 3 who have posted in this thread. Two others have been notified that this thread could use some more comments.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Doesn't sound all that free.
What do you mean by that?

The term "free" mason in an ancient term used by the medieval craft guilds of stone masons to describe a mason who was a master of his craft, and was therefore "free" to travel in foreign lands to work his skills building the cathedrals of Europe. You had to go where the work was, kind of like today.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
If you can assure us, you can back up your claim. As it stands there are at least 2 of us in this thread who are active and know the rules. What you say is happening is against the rules.
I think some people are confused about recruitment. Explaining to somebody what the process is to apply for membership is a long way from handing him a petition, waiting while he fills it out, and paying his initiation fee for him when you take the petition back to the Lodge.

Also, the prohibition against recruitment only applies to the Masonic Lodge (in the jurisdictions I know about). The other bodies do indeed recruit Masons to join.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:26 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Nice story but I can assure you that some top military leaders are recruited. End of story.

You know I find it interesting for somebody to come in and make such a statement and not be able to back it up with any evidence.First off Freemasons do not recruit,hence the saying "of your own free will and accord",if we recruited it wouldn't be of your own free will and accord, now would it?Giving information about the fraternity to a nonmember does not constitute recruitment,so I would have a tendency to question your statement. Oh and by the way let me introduce myself just so you know where I come from.
I am a 32nd. degree KCCH Scottish Rite Mason from the Valley of Washington DC, Past Master of four different Masonic Lodges in Washington DC, Past Wise Master of the Evangelist Chapter of Rose CroxA.A.S.R.,Past Grand Tall for Tall Cedars of Lebanon,Pres. of the 2001 Masters and Wardens Association and served,for 4yrs., as a Grand Lodge Officer of the Grand Lodge of the District of Columbia,Washington DC.--okay those are my credentials and I must say that my fellow brothers have given some very accurate information in this thread. One thing I will say, being a member of the Masonic fraternity is not just being a member of an ordinary club, fraternity, organization, or whatever you want to call it, being a member of the Masonic fraternity as a way of life. One of our mottos is that "we take good men and make them better". Now that could mean many different things, we make them better throughout the community or even in their own church or business, we make them better men on teaching them how to treat one another as equals regardless of whatever your religious beliefs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Perhaps that is where the confusion comes from. I certainly didn't have to be recruited. I was excited to join. I guess I see recruitment as you must be asked to join. You know, like those super secret groups.

I and a few others have offered to pay initiation fees for a few new members. That isn't too out of line. It was only offered after the petition was filed and usually if the guy was tight on money.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:36 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Perhaps that is where the confusion comes from. I certainly didn't have to be recruited. I was excited to join. I guess I see recruitment as you must be asked to join. You know, like those super secret groups.

I and a few others have offered to pay initiation fees for a few new members. That isn't too out of line. It was only offered after the petition was filed and usually if the guy was tight on money.

that's just one brother helping that potential brother, isn't that what we're supposed to do?I have done the same thing and the only thing that I have asked of that brother is that one day he will be in a position to help another and that he do so.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:51 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
To be a member one must be:
1- a man,
2- freeborn,
3- of lawful age,
4- not coerced and not offered any inducements to join,
5- must be of a stated belief in a single deity,
6- and can not be asked to join (he must ask for himself).

Right. And when a man submits an application to the lodge it is read in an open lodge with the name and info provided. The Master then appoints an investigating committee usually consisting of 3 Masons. It is their job to go out and find the necessary information on this candidate. What kind of person he is. They should talk to family members, friends, employers, Ministers, and others that know the person. They should visit with the candidate in a family setting with his wife and children. If he passes his petition will be submitted for a vote from lodge members.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Nice story but I can assure you that some top military leaders are recruited. End of story.
Surely at least one of these "top military leaders" has posted the story of his recruitment somewhere o the Internet. Since you brought this into the thread, go find the story and post a link.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What do you mean by that?
Free, as in liberty.

Quote:
The term "free" mason in an ancient term used by the medieval craft guilds of stone masons to describe a mason who was a master of his craft, and was therefore "free" to travel in foreign lands to work his skills building the cathedrals of Europe. You had to go where the work was, kind of like today.

But not free to discuss Masonry.

Free Masons seems like a misnomer in today's world.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:22 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
"In 1828, Fillmore was elected to the New York State Assembly on the Anti-Masonic ticket, serving three one-year terms, from 1829 to 1831. In his final term he chaired a special legislative committee to enact a new bankruptcy law that eliminated debtors' prison."

"He was a follower and associate of Thurlow Weed, who had been a leading Anti-Mason."

"As Comptroller, he revised New York's banking system, making it a model for the future National Banking System."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millard_Fillmore#Politics

"The Anti-Masonic Party (also known as the Anti-Masonic Movement) was the first "third party" in the United States. It strongly opposed Freemasonry as a single-issue party, and later aspired to become a major party by expanding its platform and positions on other issues."

"The Anti-Masonic Party was formed in upstate New York in February of 1828. Anti-Masons were opponents of Freemasonry, believing that it was a corrupt and elitist secret society which was ruling much of the country in defiance of republican principles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Masonic_Party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies