Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:45 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
How do I know whether they are legal or not? Do I ask for their passports. I am just a regular homeowner.
How do you find these workers? Standing on corners? In the front of Home Depot? You know darned well that those who do that are illegal aliens. That's not the way the legal hiring process in this country works anyway. You are suppose to withhold taxes, cover them with insurance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:54 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Explain how a peasant from South America takes jobs away from Americans.

I never had to compete with an ilegal immigrant for a job. Who is being hurt by this competition?

I admit that my gardener, painter, and plumber (unlicensed) are for south of the border but they do the job quite well for much less money. The lady that took care of my mother before she passed was also ilegal and was a gem.

If you are a typical high earner conservative Republican: Please explain to me how these folks are a threat to you.

What gives?

Same question for liberal democrats:

Is xenophobia an issue. Does it bother you to hear Spanish north of the border?
Laws are being violated.

If I shoot my gun in the backyard in a residential district and hurt no one is it okay?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times
Quote:
There must be a way to stop the hiring of illegals. But, perhaps corporate America does not want to go there because of the profits they make. I hired hispanic painters but in reality I have no clue if they legal or not, And this is one a one time job and yes they do it for less so the attraction to hire them is strong.

Easy, ask to see their green card. We hired roofers a few years ago, and went with the company whose crew had green cards vs. those who couldn't produce them. We have no problem hiring folks who are here legally and take the time to find them.

On another note, 10 years ago Katrina hit Louisiana, wiping out many homes and businesses. American construction workers, plumbers, etc. traveled there to work some sleeping in their trucks. Some of those workers were friends of mine; they were told by the contractors that if they wouldn't accept wages equal to what they were paying illegals, they might as well go home.

Right after Katrina barreled through the Gulf Coast, the Bush administration relaxed labor standards, creating conditions for rampant abuse, according to union leaders and civil rights advocates. Bush suspended the Davis-Bacon Act, which requires employers to pay "prevailing wages" for labor used to fulfill government contracts. The administration also waived the requirement for contractors rebuilding the Gulf Coast to provide valid I-9 employment eligibility forms completed by their workers. These moves allowed Halliburton/KBR and its subcontractors to hire undocumented workers and pay them meager wages (regardless of what wages the workers may have otherwise been promised).

Using Illegal Labor to Clean Up after Katrina: Gulf Coast Slaves - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Old 08-25-2015, 02:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically has government stats have shown they do jobs citizens use to but will not any more. I am not against work visas; just illegally entering the country.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically has government stats have shown they do jobs citizens use to but will not any more. I am not against work visas; just illegally entering the country.
Government stats? So, let's see Americans will no longer do construction, landscaping, restaurant work, clean hotels, etc. and a whole host of other blue-collared jobs.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:47 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Quote:
Explain how a peasant from South America takes jobs away from Americans.

I never had to compete with an ilegal immigrant for a job. Who is being hurt by this competition?

I admit that my gardener, painter, and plumber (unlicensed) are for south of the border but they do the job quite well for much less money. The lady that took care of my mother before she passed was also ilegal and was a gem.

If you are a typical high earner conservative Republican: Please explain to me how these folks are a threat to you.

What gives?

Same question for liberal democrats:

Is xenophobia an issue. Does it bother you to hear Spanish north of the border?
didn't you answer your own question? "they do the job for much less money"?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How do you find these workers? Standing on corners? In the front of Home Depot? You know darned well that those who do that are illegal aliens. That's not the way the legal hiring process in this country works anyway. You are suppose to withhold taxes, cover them with insurance, etc.
This guys were hired for a one time job, painting a couple of rooms. They were referred by friends!

The other hispanic guy has a lawn-mowing business and a fleet of trucks and equipment. He speaks English, but that is moot. I do not withhold taxes to the guys that mow the lawn, that is insane. I do not have a business, he simply cuts the grass.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Easy, ask to see their green card. We hired roofers a few years ago, and went with the company whose crew had green cards vs. those who couldn't produce them. We have no problem hiring folks who are here legally and take the time to find them.

On another note, 10 years ago Katrina hit Louisiana, wiping out many homes and businesses. American construction workers, plumbers, etc. traveled there to work some sleeping in their trucks. Some of those workers were friends of mine; they were told by the contractors that if they wouldn't accept wages equal to what they were paying illegals, they might as well go home.

Right after Katrina barreled through the Gulf Coast, the Bush administration relaxed labor standards, creating conditions for rampant abuse, according to union leaders and civil rights advocates. Bush suspended the Davis-Bacon Act, which requires employers to pay "prevailing wages" for labor used to fulfill government contracts. The administration also waived the requirement for contractors rebuilding the Gulf Coast to provide valid I-9 employment eligibility forms completed by their workers. These moves allowed Halliburton/KBR and its subcontractors to hire undocumented workers and pay them meager wages (regardless of what wages the workers may have otherwise been promised).

Using Illegal Labor to Clean Up after Katrina: Gulf Coast Slaves - SPIEGEL ONLINE
So why are you guys Republican? Procapitalists?

Old 08-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
Their entire country belonged to the crown of Spain just a few short years before the people who fought aginst ownership by Spain fought against ownership by people trying to lay a new claim to their land.
Yes, California and the southwest was Spanish territory and hence many cities have Spanish names. The entire coast of California has the Catholic Missions.

Quote:
European exploration period from 1542 to 1769; the Spanish colonial period, 1769 to 1821; the Mexican period, 1821 to 1848
But, the Mexicans owned the south west for a few years and many illegals use this as justification.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
So why are you guys Republican? Procapitalists?
Again, capitalism does not negate or trump our immigration laws. Why do you persist with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies