Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 AM

12,338 posts, read 8,068,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky1231 View Post
I don't care if an anchor baby is rich or poor. Everyone should follow the laws of the land and your example is picking favorites. You are either for or against anchor babies.
The problem being the only laws being broken by the Asian anchor baby mills are local ordinances about squeezing people into a household, those being cheaper than a hotel or trying to find extended family to foster them until a US Birth Certificate is issued. They are normally here legally and just happen to give birth while their visa is still good. And they are not even shaking the anchor chain later daring the US to deport the parents of an American citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 AM

18,432 posts, read 15,186,935 times
I see this all the time. Not just Mexicans or Asians, but from everywhere. Many are from the Middle East, Africa, the Caribbean. When someone is paying me cash for an epidural or a c section, I get suspicious as most American citizens either have insurance, Medicaid or charity care. Almost always, the address listed for a cash paying patient with little to no English skills is a hotel or motel address. It disgusts me this is so easy and so prevalent, but there is not much I can do about it. By the time I see them, they need medical attention, so I can't worry about any of that. It would be great if there were more safeguards to keep them from ending up in my lap, but as long as they are, I give them the same care I would give to any patient.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:04 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Chinese-run maternity hotels, big or small, are popular in New York. Many of them are family-owned underground businesses that provide all sorts of services including helping maternity tourists from China to apply for the white card [Translator’s note: “White card” is the nickname for Medicaid among Chinese]. The services cost at least $20,000 but the quality is not impressive.

I read an article online (don't remember the source) says that these so called "rich" ones don't even pay their own medical expenses in the hospital. So do you expect us to believe that they would not become a burden to the society?

The truth is that these people committed FRAUD.

These people were told to lie, how to lie, so that their motives for coming to the U.S. wouldn’t be questioned

Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Chinese-run maternity hotels, big or small, are popular in New York. Many of them are family-owned underground businesses that provide all sorts of services including helping maternity tourists from China to apply for the white card [Translator’s note: “White card” is the nickname for Medicaid among Chinese]. The services cost at least $20,000 but the quality is not impressive.

I read an article online (don't remember the source) says that these so called "rich" ones don't even pay their own medical expenses in the hospital. So do you expect us to believe that they would not become a burden to the society?

The truth is that these people committed FRAUD.

These people were told to lie, how to lie, so that their motives for coming to the U.S. wouldn’t be questioned
The obstetricians that specialize in this type of practice, know not to rock the boat. In my hospital, they pay us before any services are rendered. The hospital gets a set fee also. I would imagine the type of thing you are talking about goes on in county medical centers and urban hospitals though.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The obstetricians that specialize in this type of practice, know not to rock the boat. In my hospital, they pay us before any services are rendered. The hospital gets a set fee also. I would imagine the type of thing you are talking about goes on in county medical centers and urban hospitals though.
could be.

I found this article

Some You Win clients allegedly defrauded hospitals by not paying what they owe. They "either fail to pay anything or pay a greatly-reduced amount designed for indigent or low income patients lacking insurance," according to DHS.

Records obtained by the agency show the couple found to be "credible tourists" paid only $4,080 of a $28,845.29 medical bill from the California hospital where their child was born. The expectant Chinese mother told the hospital that she was unemployed -- though she had listed a job on her original visa application.

How far Chinese moms will go to have U.S. babies - Mar. 30, 2015

Now this is just disturbing.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
could be.

I found this article

Some You Win clients allegedly defrauded hospitals by not paying what they owe. They "either fail to pay anything or pay a greatly-reduced amount designed for indigent or low income patients lacking insurance," according to DHS.

Records obtained by the agency show the couple found to be "credible tourists" paid only $4,080 of a $28,845.29 medical bill from the California hospital where their child was born. The expectant Chinese mother told the hospital that she was unemployed -- though she had listed a job on her original visa application.

How far Chinese moms will go to have U.S. babies - Mar. 30, 2015

Now this is just disturbing.
These are non-profit hospitals. For-profit hospitals make life very difficult for doctors who continuously bring in patients that don't pay their bills.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
These are non-profit hospitals. For-profit hospitals make life very difficult for doctors who continuously bring in patients that don't pay their bills.
I can only imagine.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM

With about 70 percent of undocumented immigrants coming from Mexico, El Salvador and Honduras, it’s a safe bet that two-thirds of these children are born to parents with Latin American roots. The next biggest population of undocumented immigrants is from China, Philippines, India and Korea — but with just 8 percent of the total, that’s probably about 25,000 a year.

So what is Bush talking about? A spokesman says he is referencing an entirely different issue: women who come to the United States on tourist visas — and thus are on U.S. soil legally — but for the express purpose of having the child born in the United States.

‘Birth tourists’ and ‘anchor babies:’ What Trump and Bush got right - The Washington Post

The system is broken.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,918,789 times
Because they could be a gaping security hole? Who knows what the hell the true motive of some mothers from Asia that come here for birth tourism really are? How do you know the PLA isn't sending pregnant mothers here to have kids in order to gain American citizenship? Those mothers then return home and have their kids indoctrinated with Chinese values in schools over there. Those children can then come back over here and start working in secret military sites, within the government, or can even run the government since they're considered citizens. Citizenship by birthright alone these days is an incredibly dangerous loophole that governments or terrorists all over the world could take advantage of for nefarious purposes. At least one parent should be an American citizen at a bare minimum.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:12 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,272,609 times
there is nothing illegal about anchor babies. the US follows jus soli so anybody born here are US citizens. no qualifications there. (except children of diplomats, I guess)

the only thing different for the Asians is that once they get the passport, they go home. the blue passport is just an insurance later or another option for the child to come here if its not doing well in their home country.

I happen to know one. the grandparent is my classmate. her family has tourist visas. on a visit here, my classmate tried to find work and had her visa changed to working visa. got an employer to petition her. while working, her daughter got pregnant in the home country. the daughter timed her visit to the US to deliver her baby. once they got the passport they flew back home.

my classmate could not wait for her working visa, she flew back home too.

see? they are not here straining the resources of the govt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies