Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 07:00 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
All I need to get to "we" is one other person besides me. I think I can find the one other person besides myself who will fight the 180% car sales tax. Hope that clears it up for you.

So you can't justify, defend, or explain that Amtrak fiasco, and instead want to give me a homework assignment. No thanks.

The 180% tax does exist in Denmark. See the link above. My interpretation of 180% is 180%. What is yours? If I had said '200%' that would have been an 'outright distortion.'

They also have a twice per year "green tax" on cars, and a $5.41/gal gas tax.
Denmark Leads The World In Gas Prices At $9.69 Per Gallon » AutoGuide.com News

Guess that will buy them a lot of those cheeseburgers that cost $16 to produce and sell for $9.50.
I'm not trying to give you a homework assignment. I'm telling you that your assertion that public transportation isn't economically feasible, which can apparently be proven with reams of statics by ya'll (still not sure why you used the royal "we" but whatever), isn't supported by a link about Amtrak. I don't know the ins and outs of Amtrak's financials, but I gather they're terrible. That can be due to any number of things. By your logic, the fact that Hudson, Packard and Pontiac went bankrupt proves that automobile companies aren't financially viable ... wtf??? You see how that makes no sense now that I spell it out for ya'all?

You stated that public transportation isn't viable even when the density is there... huh??? If that's the case, I'd love to see the reams of statistics ya'all are sitting on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 07:06 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
I sometimes wonder what the U.S. would be like if we always had this "if you don't like it here, go somewhere else" attitude, that is so prevalent in this thread. Would we still have the institution of slavery? Would the descendants of the plutocrats of the late 19th century (the Carnegies, Vanderbilts, Rockefellers, etc.) anointed themselves royalty by now?

Or, maybe this attitude was always around, but positive changes happened, anyway?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I sometimes wonder what the U.S. would be like if we always had this "if you don't like it here, go somewhere else" attitude, that is so prevalent in this thread. Would we still have the institution of slavery? Would the descendants of the plutocrats of the late 19th century (the Carnegies, Vanderbilts, Rockefellers, etc.) anointed themselves royalty by now?

Or, maybe this attitude was always around, but positive changes happened, anyway?
Well, up until 1890 or so, if you didn't like how things were going you could always move west. That's honestly where I think this attitude comes from. I think it's kind of silly not to emulate the best practices fo other nations. Why not? If something seems to be working well for another nation and we think we could do it here, we should try it out. It's foolish not to.

That said, I understand the U.S. is different than any western European nation. Just because nationalized healthcare works for Belgium doesn't necessarily mean it will work for us. Not to beat a dead horse but after living in Europe for awhile, just about the only thing I see that I think .. uh yeah, we can do that and we should is their approach to transportation and urban design.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Well, up until 1890 or so, if you didn't like how things were going you could always move west. That's honestly where I think this attitude comes from. I think it's kind of silly not to emulate the best practices fo other nations. Why not? If something seems to be working well for another nation and we think we could do it here, we should try it out. It's foolish not to.

That said, I understand the U.S. is different than any other western European nation. Just because nationalized healthcare works for Belgium doesn't necessarily mean it will work for us. Not to beat a dead horse but after living in Europe for awhile, just about the only thing I see that I think .. uh yeah, we can do that and we should is their approach to transportation and urban design.
I tend to agree. The US is a different country.
But, health care can be done better. As of now the health care companies make billions in profits. And this goes to the pockets of investors that provided ZERO health care.

I do not mind capitalism and I rejoice the fact that folks like Gates and Jobs became very rich, but at least they created something. The health insurance companies create NOTHING. All they do is collect premiums, pay doctors and hospitals and the rest is profit. They are consistently in the top five best industries with regards to profit.

We could easily have a COOP and hire companies to do the insurance paper work for a fee rather than a profit. This would save billions of dollars and make health care much more affordable.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
All I need to get to "we" is one other person besides me. I think I can find the one other person besides myself who will fight the 180% car sales tax. Hope that clears it up for you.

So you can't justify, defend, or explain that Amtrak fiasco, and instead want to give me a homework assignment. No thanks.

The 180% tax does exist in Denmark. See the link above. My interpretation of 180% is 180%. What is yours? If I had said '200%' that would have been an 'outright distortion.'

They also have a twice per year "green tax" on cars, and a $5.41/gal gas tax.
Denmark Leads The World In Gas Prices At $9.69 Per Gallon » AutoGuide.com News

Guess that will buy them a lot of those cheeseburgers that cost $16 to produce and sell for $9.50.
I had a look at the Big Mac index

Denmark Big Mac: $5.08
US Big Mac: $4.79

Denmark minimum wage (fast food): $17.30
US minimum wage: $7.25

Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist

Old 08-28-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I had a look at the Big Mac index

Denmark Big Mac: $5.08
US Big Mac: $4.79

Denmark minimum wage (fast food): $17.30
US minimum wage: $7.25

Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist
What kills me is how McDonald's manages to do business is places like Denmark. How can this be? I thought a McDonald's was incapable of operating unless it could pay its employees substandard wages.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:

That said, I understand the U.S. is different than any western European nation. Just because nationalized healthcare works for Belgium doesn't necessarily mean it will work for us. Not to beat a dead horse but after living in Europe for awhile, just about the only thing I see that I think .. uh yeah, we can do that and we should is their approach to transportation and urban design.
But when every single industrialized country have nationalized healthcare except the "Exceptional one", surely it must mean they are on to something?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
But when every single industrialized country have nationalized healthcare except the "Exceptional one", surely it must mean they are on to something?
Oh no doubt .. I DO think we should have nationalized healthcare actually, but I understand the argument that what works for one country won't necessarily work for another one. Nationalized healthcare would work better for just about everyone but the healthcare industry so you know how that goes. This is America. The dollar is king. I'm sure Devry would love to put public universities out of commision too -- I'm sure they think that would lead to a much better quality of education. Chuckle. Thank god public education is established in this country. I truly believe we wouldn't be able to get it today if it didn't already exist. The con men and dupes would line up in droves and scream about how public education would be the death of freedom and all that is holy.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:38 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
They are more civilized.

Costa Rica a Central America relatively advance nation has National Health Care and a social security system. When my sister got sick of vacation they took care of her as if though she was a citizen, no questions asked, no need to reproduce insurance cards, etc.

It is the same way in France. I am sure the American hero that got hurt in the train will not get a bill for his hand surgery

Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
What kills me is how McDonald's manages to do business is places like Denmark. How can this be? I thought a McDonald's was incapable of operating unless it could pay its employees substandard wages.
Yeah, the scaremongering from the business community and their media lackeys is really effective propaganda.

I am sure the Danes regret deeply that they fought for that $17.30 minimum wage now that their Big Macs cost $0.29 more than in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies