Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You were the one who could "inform" us about the cost of cheeseburgers in Denmark, remember:

So cheeseburgers in Denmark costing $16 is clearly baloney. Let's talk about it for a second. So here we have it. "Horrendously" high fast food minimum wage of $17.30. Denmark has a 4.7% unemployment rate according to the latest figures. Big Macs cost $5.08. Fast food workers enjoy the standard 5 weeks paid vacation, 1 year paid parental leave and customers dont have to worry about getting served by sick workers because the employees get paid sick leave of course. Why do people like you buy into the scaremongering by companies like McDonalds, Walmart and the rest of the pack? They clearly are able to do business in other countries just fine even when workers are treated like human beings.

Could it be, just maybe, that when employees are treated fairly, companies benefit by getting motivated and productive workers? Has it crossed your mind? Are you willing to consider it a possibility?
LOL, I never posted anything about the cost of cheeseburgers in Denmark.

As long as demand curves slope downward, price controls are deleterious (all other things being equal). If we're going to have a minimum wage law, I prefer a wage support similar to how ag price supports are done. Allow the market price to float according to supply/demand, but if it goes below a certain level (say $15/hr) the taxpayer makes up the difference with a subsidy. That's the honest way to do it. Otherwise you end up hurting those whom you purport to help. This is all basic Econ 101. As long as we have downward sloping demand curves fiat minimum wage does not work. Why do you hate science?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not telling you this to brag about how great my life is and how wonderful it is here. I'm an American, and I love my country and am looking forward to when I can go home to the good ol' USA, but after seeing how things can be.. I'll never be satsified with what is in the US again.
That is the fate of the expat, isn't it? No matter where you are, there will be something you have seen done so much better. Denmark could definitely learn a thing or two from the US, as well.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
LOL, I never posted anything about the cost of cheeseburgers in Denmark.

As long as demand curves slope downward, price controls are deleterious (all other things being equal). If we're going to have a minimum wage law, I prefer a wage support similar to how ag price supports are done. Allow the market price to float according to supply/demand, but if it goes below a certain level (say $15/hr) the taxpayer makes up the difference with a subsidy. That's the honest way to do it. Otherwise you end up hurting those whom you purport to help. This is all basic Econ 101. As long as we have downward sloping demand curves fiat minimum wage does not work. Why do you hate science?
Oh, so the Danes with their $17.30 minimum wage are hurting, huh? I bet they would prefer to not hurt by being employed in the "flexible" supply and demand American system instead...

Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default So you really would like to live in Denmark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good for you.
I've been to Denmark.

I have relatives there.

It has a lot of things going for it, but honestly, I always like returning to the USA no matter where I've visited.

So, what about your own travels to Scandinavia?

Quote:
Move there? No thanks. Denmark would be one of the last places I would move.
I'll bet the Danes are worried now.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Oh, so the Danes with their $17.30 minimum wage are hurting, huh? I bet they would prefer to not hurt by being employed in the "flexible" supply and demand American system instead...
You are the master of stuffing words into people's mouths. Where did I say the Danes are hurting?

Old 08-28-2015, 01:25 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You need to find some new friends. I have lots of friends and none of them are like that.
The US is a major consumer oriented nation. Its our culture and economic scheme of debt that make the rules. We consume, China manufactures, few get rich. That is America. So you do know plenty that are exactly like that because they are Americans making ends meet the American way.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Even though I'm arguing for a transportation revolution, I hear what you're saying. You can't build a network to nowhere. You need a certain amount of density for buses and trains to make sense. I think we should keep the European model in mind though (for lack of a better term) for future growth. All future growth should be built with multiple transportation modes in mind. Houses should be built closer together. Neighborhoods should leave room for grocery stores and shops. (Speaking of grocery stores, they should be one-tenth the size and put one in every neighborhood. It works much better to be able to walk five minutes to get eggs instead of having to drive for 20 to do so.)

In time, you will have the dense environments where public transportation makes sense. As a bonus, this will be a boom to the economy. Areas that are built in this fashion are extremely popular in the US .. people flock to them. Even more people would flock to them if they weren’t so damn expensive. (There’s so few of them that the cost to live in them is prohibitive… that alone should tell you something about the demand… why is it that these types of areas are the most expensive in the US? If you built more of them, the cost would go down… wouldn’t that be great?)
Yeah i'm all for continuing to densify our urban areas, but it sure is happening and its a slow process...

Plenty of big public transportation projects going on in Los Angeles.

2 new lines will open next year, purple line subway extension is under construction (linking the westside with downtown). and a light rail line connecting LAX to the westside will open in 2019.

by 2020 it won't be necessary to rent a car when visiting Los Angeles

Old 08-28-2015, 11:00 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That is the fate of the expat, isn't it? No matter where you are, there will be something you have seen done so much better. Denmark could definitely learn a thing or two from the US, as well.
Yep.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yeah sure we have spent millions upon millions in Seattle on bicycle lanes.
Seattle to spend $1 million more on bike-lane design - Blog - MyNorthwest.com

After all that, bicycle commuting accounts for 3% of commuting in Seattle. And I bet that is overstated, considering that it rains here from October till May. Meanwhile people are getting killed and maimed on bicycles on a regular basis.
Bicycle collisions rising in Seattle

And traffic gets steadily worse because you have to eliminate road capacity to make all of those bicycle lanes.
Your link is to a blurb about cycle tracks, not bike lanes. A bike lane is "built" with some paint and a brush. I don't know what the per mile cost for one is, but my guess is under $2,000. They make sense for most communities. Cycle tracks make sense for a few cities where biking is extensive. I don't know if they make sense for Seattle or not, but I suspect they do.

I lived in the U district in the mid 90s but I haven't been back since. When I moved there I was going to buy a car - I was coming from SoCal so I assumed a car was a must everywhere - but I decided not to because the bus system was so good. All classes of people rode the bus. That's always a good sign - you know you have a good system when people who don't have to use it out of necissity still opt to do so.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:32 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Danes aren't corrupt, and whatever the government does is what the people elected them to do. You sure as hell can't say that about this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies