Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Violence towards others.
Agreed, but what is expected is prediction of violence towards others, prior to the violence occurring. That just isn't going to happen with any realistic accuracy. If we all go through screening, I guarantee you most of us would lose our rights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 02:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Freedom for the American people, unless you are for institutionalizing millions of people for fear of future crimes.

The history of mental institutions isn't a good one; why so many want to bring them back is beyond me. I guess we need some place to conduct our human experiments.
I agree they were horrid places rampant with abuse but when we closed them, we did interestingly see a rise in violent crime, some of which were barbaric.

The one question I ask is how would an American have freedom if they are dead because another "free American" whom suffers a mental illness and is known to be violent shot them?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I agree they were horrid places rampant with abuse but when we closed them, we did interestingly see a rise in violent crime, some of which were barbaric.

The one question I ask is how would an American have freedom if they are dead because another "free American" whom suffers a mental illness and is known to be violent shot them?
Crime is at 30 to 40 year lows after the release of the mentally ill.

Do you hold the same standards of black males that are more likely to commit violent acts against others than any other group?

Mental illness doesn't even mean one is more likely to commit crime than anyone else.
http://www.apa.org/news/press/releas...ess-crime.aspx

Old 08-27-2015, 02:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Agreed, but what is expected is prediction of violence towards others, prior to the violence occurring. That just isn't going to happen with any realistic accuracy. If we all go through screening, I guarantee you most of us would lose our rights...
I have no desire to discuss that as that isn't my position. Once someone has been violent it is no longer just an expectation of violence. Besides the courts would never allow "an expectation" to stand.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:33 PM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
This is a problem with no agreeable solution, not today, not tomorrow, not next year. Just like the last mass shooting the next mass shooting will change nothing. I am gun owner, mentally stable, responsible, and law abiding. I would support measures to restrict guns under the right premise, but the issue is i have no idea what the right measures are?? We cannot do it based off expectations, assumptions, or profiling. The reality is there is and will likely never be a one size fits all solution. What we need more than any law is a change in culture. A culture that values life and doesnt glorify violence. A culture that respects life versus looking at it as disposable. I used to look at people who said gun restrictions only hurt legal owners and think that is cop out/a load of crap. Now that i have grown up and had a change in feelings on things i realize its true. If you made a new gun law tomorrow the majority of legit owners would follow it regardless of their personal beliefs, however i dont think we have to look further than any big city (Chicago, Detroit, NYC) to see that gun laws have really accomplished nothing, its a change of culture that does.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Great response. People forget conservatives that complained about how much of your paychecks goto the government forget that people like Ronald Reagan closed many state run mental institutions in California forcing the crazies onto the street. That is unless conservatives want to increase the debt that much.
Forcing them into jail.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Crime is at 30 to 40 year lows after the release of the mentally ill.

Do you hold the same standards of black males that are more likely to commit violent acts against others than any other group?

Mental illness doesn't even mean one is more likely to commit crime than anyone else.
http://www.apa.org/news/press/releas...ess-crime.aspx
Yes but we still see a lot of gun violence in particular done by people with mental issues. Does that not hold any weight at all in this debate?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
So how does the Op propose getting to mental illness records> That is the problem with the checks now ;not much other than the person saying yes or no because police records do not show mental on record check. Its bad enough we send police to deal with known mental illness cases because mental authorities who have access do not want anything to do with securing and transporting them. Police are over burden with criminal cases as it is.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So how does the Op propose getting to mental illness records> That is the problem with the checks now ;not much other than the person saying yes or no because police records do not show mental on record check. Its bad enough we send police to deal with known mental illness cases because mental authorities who have access do not want anything to do with securing and transporting them. Police are over burden with criminal cases as it is.
I honestly don't know. It wont come from tax revenue, the OP has made it clear he wants the 16th amendment to be repealed entirely.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:10 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Please tell me, who you know has killed someone and is not mentally ill? And we're not discussing war here....
Jeffrey Dahmer, convicted on multiple homicides, given full psychological screening found competent to stand trial and guilty of his crimes.

Ted Bundy, convicted of multiple rapes/murders, given full psychological screening found competent to stand trial and guilty of his crimes.

Richard Ramirez, convicted of multiple homicides, robberies, rapes, given full psychological screening, found competent to stand trial and guilty of his crimes.

James Eagan Holmes , convicted of multiple homicides, given full psychological screening found competent to stand trial and guilty of his crimes.

They're just four I can name that are likely famous enough to be known about.

All of these people were placed under court ordered strict supervision and evaluation for competency by licensed medical and mental health professionals, prior to standing trial and all were found to be mentally competent.

So the courts have found that these killed people and were not mentally ill. If they were mentally ill enough, they would have been committed for mental health treatment and not imprisoned for their crimes. If they were mentally sound enough to stand trial, then they are mentally sound enough to run a business, drive, live without assistance.

Of course it depends on how you define mentally ill, everyone is mentally ill to a certain extent (we all have issues and divergences from norm), but these were found to be legally competent, which is the actual metric that should be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies