Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with op.

Next time there's a mass shooting, don't jump to blame the National Rifle Association and lax gun laws. Look first at the shooter and the mental health services he did or didn't get, and the commitment laws in the state where the shooting took place.
This makes no sense. We should be blamed for not diagnosing a person, but that person can have free access to lethal weapons with no qualifying standards? How about some sort of mental health screening before someone can get such guns. Folks with bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, or schizophrenia have no business packing heat. Buying a gun should be a hell of a lot harder than buying a toothbrush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:07 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Basically violating people's privacy rights. In other words, let's just scrap the Constitution as it is an outdated rag anyway according to progressives, and go with a full blown overbearing, and overreaching authoritarian government. Since we're worried about guns, how about we worry about cars, and those behind the wheel which kill more people in this country everyday than guns do! How about more restrictions on who can obtain a driver's license, given that there are so many bad drivers out there?
Gee, conservative libertarian republicans are the ones asking for help from the government to end crime committed by illegals. So what is wrong in asking for help to end crime committed by the mentally insane?

BTW, very nice rationalization exercise (see bold).

Old 08-27-2015, 09:09 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm pretty sure this poster is serious. Although I agree , scary stuff.
How do you think they catch Muslim terrorists before they have a chance to kill people?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You realize that when the Second Amendments speaks of the right to bear arms, it is not to be literally translated as your appendages?

It relates to any and all means to defend yourself and the nation from a foreign invasion, including your fists.

Rocks, sticks, knives, guns, grenades, bombs and yes, even new technology that allows the human to create a nuclear weapon. Only another man, can tell me I cannot defend myself. My creator says otherwise.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Gee, conservative libertarian republicans are the ones asking for help from the government to end crime committed by illegals. So what is wrong in asking for help to end crime committed by the mentally insane?

BTW, very nice rationalization exercise (see bold).

Why not? Driving is a privilege not a right. The 2nd Amendment however, is indeed a right.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Both protected by the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution.
The only way to keep them, those unstable enough to be around those weapons in public, is to lock them up and throw away the key.

A defenseless society demands it.
In absence of a previous conviction for a violent crime, what objective criteria would you use to " lock them up and throw away the key" ?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 AM

29,471 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Do you really want a true background check for buying firearms?

If I have to buy a gun I don't have issues with this because I have NOTHING to hide.
We already have what you are calling "true background" checks. Violating peoples rights because you don't care about them and think that it will somehow stop violent crimes, murder etc isn't going to do anything.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This makes no sense. We should be blamed for not diagnosing a person, but that person can have free access to lethal weapons with no qualifying standards? How about some sort of mental health screening before someone can get such guns. Folks with bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, or schizophrenia have no business packing heat. Buying a gun should be a hell of a lot harder than buying a toothbrush.
This post just shows how little you know about what it takes to buy a gun

Old 08-27-2015, 09:26 AM

29,471 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
How do you think they catch Muslim terrorists before they have a chance to kill people?
So you are placing people that want to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights as a United States citizen in the same category as a Muslim terrorist ?

Really , what is your agenda ? Are you trying to eliminate the amount of people that can have firearms or stop violence ? You are focusing in the wrong direction.

Now I do think we need to revamp our judicial system and how it treats criminals that have been convicted of a firearms charge and or violent crimes. There are all too many times I hear on the news that someone committed a crime that had multiple firearms convictions and or multiple violent crime convictions.

As far as keeping firearms from the mentally ill, it would seem very simple. But it would violate rights, in some cases I'm for it and others not.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
This is as much a mental health issue and he should have been under supervision with his history. This is the problem with minorities screaming discrimination over every little reprimand. This guy was late to work 111 times without getting canned. They gave him a very long rope in my opinion and every time they called him into the office, he filed a complaint. The company was scared he would sue, so they babied his ass at every turn. A nut is a nut and need to be watched, kept on the "no weapons" registry....
Should employers be required to report excessive tardiness to the government so that then they can be denied the right to legally buy a gun?

Should those who file complaints of discrimination be put under 24/7 surveilience and be denied the right to legally buy a gun?

Most of the sensationalized shooters had no history of violence.

How much more are you willing to pay in federal and state taxes to keep those arbitrarily deemed high risk under constant surveillance? ( Now there's a jobs program that will put America back to work)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies