Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

bad bad time to buy ocean front.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The data has shown we're warming faster than expected.

I don't get why so many on here smugly deny scientific findings while not grasping what they say.
No, that's wrong.

Quote:
One of the more recent intriguing findings is the remarkable speed of these changes. Within the incredibly short time span (by geologic standards) of only a few decades or even a few years, global temperatures have fluctuated by as much as 15°F (8°C) or more.

For example, as Earth was emerging out of the last glacial cycle, the warming trend was interrupted 12,800 years ago when temperatures dropped dramatically in only several decades. A mere 1,300 years later, temperatures locally spiked as much as 20°F (11°C) within just several years. Sudden changes like this occurred at least 24 times during the past 100,000 years. In a relative sense, we are in a time of unusually stable temperatures today—how long will it last?

[emphasis mine]

Utah Geological Survey | Glad You Asked: Ice Ages

Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Some are easily manipulated, and believe everything the mass media tells them. What you find out as you get older is that much of what you hear from the mass media is a pack of lies, manipulation and distortion. Read "1984" The book. That's the world we live in. As people get older they get wiser, usually. If you're one of those, you learn to read from different sources, and contrary opinions, and then you often find out that what you thought was "the truth", isn't the truth at all.

Or have you seen "The Matrix"? That's America today. Everyone plugged into a machine, and they think what they get from the machine is real, but it isn't. Its just a show put on to distract you from the truth.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Some are easily manipulated, and believe everything the mass media tells them. What you find out as you get older is that much of what you hear from the mass media is a pack of lies, manipulation and distortion. Read "1984" The book. That's the world we live in. As people get older they get wiser, usually. If you're one of those, you learn to read from different sources, and contrary opinions, and then you often find out that what you thought was "the truth", isn't the truth at all.

Or have you seen "The Matrix"? That's America today. Everyone plugged into a machine, and they think what they get from the machine is real, but it isn't. Its just a show put on to distract you from the truth.
Good point. I'm most interested in what scientists have to say. - to heck with mass media.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
"The oldest reflections, dating to the Eemian period, are found mostly in the northern part of the ice sheet. "
So are you claiming the Earth is only 138,000 years old?

Here is a partial record for previous Glacial/Inter-Glacial Periods

http://geology.utah.gov/wp-content/u.../ice_ages2.gif

So where is the the ice from those periods?

Quote:
And here is the link which shows you probably did get your false info from Wikipedia: "The ice in the current ice sheet is as old as 110,000 years.[3]"

I never cite pukipedia as a source.

My information came from the Greenland government website, and from the National Snow & Ice Data Center.
Quote:
"The oldest reflections, dating to the Eemian period, are found mostly in the northern part of the ice sheet. "

and from the Nature articles I posted before:

" Between 128,000 and 122,000 years ago, the thickness of the northwest Greenland ice sheet decreased by 400 ± 250 metres, reaching surface elevations 122,000 years ago of 130 ± 300 metres lower than the present"
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture11789.html

"During the Eemian interglacial period, 130,000 to 114,000 years ago, the volume of the Greenland ice sheet was about 30–60% smaller than the present-day volume"
http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v.../ngeo1245.html

Well that's not the same as "completely melts!" and "the entire Greenland ice sheet frickin' melted" like you claimed is it? When will you admit that you were wrong?
I'm not wrong. Where is the ice from the previous Glacial Periods?

The ice sheet on Greenland melts, that's what it's supposed to do.

I'm free to employ hyperbole to get the point across that ice is supposed to melt during an Inter-Glacial Period.

If you're a Herbert and can't understand paleo-anything, that's not my fault.

Quote:
Look at the past changes in the earth between a glacial and an interglacial period. If it's only 2.6C then we are in deep doodoo.
It was 10.4°F warmer during the previous Inter-Glacial Period.

Quote:
And what seems to be most important to some Americans on this forum - Alley is a Republican.
I'm not a Republican, so why would I care?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-08-2015 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, that's wrong.

[emphasis mine]

Interesting article but the data does show we're warming faster than scientists expected:
Is Global Warming Happening Faster Than Expected? - Scientific American

I'll be interested to follow that line of ice age study. The one highlight you made is just local but the other contradicts the prevailing understanding. I wish Utah would have cited and dated it:

Global Warming : Feature Articles

Global warming is happening is '10 times faster than at any time in the Earth's history', climate experts claim | Daily Mail Online

It's at least not warmed this quickly in over 11,000 years:

Past Century's Global Temperature Change Is Fastest On Record : NPR

Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
I have no idea why these climate change deniers keep citing conditions hundreds of thousand years ago, especially when they have no idea what forcings caused temperature to rise or fall then...

What is important is what is happening today, and the fact that we know what is causing it....Sea levels are rising because ice is melting, ice is melting because temperatures are also rising, and temperatures are rising because humans are burning too much fossil fuel increasing greenhouse gases....Since we know this is the prevalent climate forcing existing today, it seems fairly simple and straight forward to me.

Earth's ice caps and glaciers are earth's canary in the coal mine, and that canary has died... The polar ice caps have melted faster in the last 20 years than they have in the last 10,000.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:41 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, that's wrong.

[emphasis mine]

No, you're wrong. Maybe you should do a little research about what they are referring to: The Younger Dryas and abrupt climate change. Oh... That's one of Prof Richard Alley's areas of expertise. You know, the guy you said doesn't know anything? Read his 2000 paper on the Younger Dryas.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

I don't listen to the mass media when it comes to science. They care more about sensationalism for advertising revenue than getting facts straight. For example -Look at the numpties who were banging on again recently about another "mini ice age!" because they didn't bother to check the facts.

Better to go to the actual source - the scientists themselves, (not what the media says the scientists say) the peer-reviewed science Journals and science institutions like National Academy of Sciences, the Royal Society etc.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Interesting article but the data does show we're warming faster than scientists expected:
Is Global Warming Happening Faster Than Expected? - Scientific American

I'll be interested to follow that line of ice age study. The one highlight you made is just local but the other contradicts the prevailing understanding. I wish Utah would have cited and dated it:

Global Warming : Feature Articles

Global warming is happening is '10 times faster than at any time in the Earth's history', climate experts claim | Daily Mail Online

It's at least not warmed this quickly in over 11,000 years:

Past Century's Global Temperature Change Is Fastest On Record : NPR
The Younger Dryas period just over 11,000 years ago was a period of 'abrupt' cooling, not warming. So don't let people get away with trying to compare it to the warming in the last 100 years. Different mechanisms would be at play.

Here's a link that discussed a recent research paper on one explanation about what caused it. (Another hypothesis is that is was related to changes in the North Atlantic thermohaline circulation).

New evidence that cosmic impact caused Younger Dryas extinctions

and the paper itself:

Large Pt anomaly in the Greenland ice core points to a cataclysm at the onset of Younger Dryas
There are links to a couple of other papers that cited it below the abstract and one that questions the evidence.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-02-2015 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies