Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:07 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,312 times

Advertisements

Most people seem think that just having more voting about everything to make society more democratic just always automatically makes everything better. It's like people have turned democracy into a religion and don't even care about logic and reason anymore.

I get it that we need to have SOME kind of democracy. We need to be able to hold our leaders accountable, but the idea that democracy is this perfect solution to everything is a myth. And yet even saying this is generally enough to be called a anti-democratic fascist by hordes of people.

Why is democracy so ****ing overrated?

Last edited by hakkarin; 09-05-2015 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 06:06 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Probably because though Democracy sux, it's better than all alternatives except a Constitutional Republic.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:16 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Probably because though Democracy sux, it's better than all alternatives except a Constitutional Republic.
Which is what Obama wants to destroy.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Did you read what I wrote? I understand that there needs to be some kind of democracy, but we don't need to choose between 100% dictaroship or 100% direct democracy. There is a middle ground. There are so many people that think more voting is always better because it gives people more voice, which they believe should be an end in itself instead of just being a means to an end.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:26 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Did you read what I wrote? I understand that there needs to be some kind of democracy, but we don't need to choose between 100% dictaroship or 100% direct democracy. There is a middle ground. There are so many people that think more voting is always better because it gives people more voice, which they believe should be an end in itself instead of just being a means to an end.
Our founding fathers in the States were adament about limiting direct rule by the masses but still giving them a voice, so they founded our republic, which is the hybrid you seem to seek.

Even in California when Schwarzenegger kept bringing referendums for all to vote on, people got tired of it and requested lawmakers do the job they were hired to do.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:47 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Yes. We don't have a direct Democracy in the USA, we have a Constitutional Republic which has proven far better than direct Democracy. Our Founding Father rightfully didn't trust a direct Democracy.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:56 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
How does it suck? Is it not a fundamental core of the greatest country in the history of this world?

Old 09-05-2015, 08:05 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Republic/ democracy it matters not.
We have politicians that do whatever they please after they are elected, the party and process matters little. Look at Obama who ran on a platform of "change" and carried out or enhanced just about every policy of his predessor. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two parties who as a matter of record both support the welfare state, the warfare state, the regulatory state and on and on...
If government were regulated to odd jobs and miniscule functions, this wouldn't be much of a problem but as it stands it has been given (taken) influence( control) over every aspect of our lives and will use violence as a means to achieve its ends.
Governments are criminal gangs, nothing more.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:08 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Some folks think more voting has the tendency, or contains the potential, to lean towards a tyranny of the majority. Are you warning of this?

Also, just curious, what is the 'end' of which you speak?

Old 09-05-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Some folks think more voting has the tendency, or contains the potential, to lean towards a tyranny of the majority. Are you warning of this?

Also, just curious, what is the 'end' of which you speak?
Political systems are just means to an end. They are intended to accomplish specific things. Dicatorships allow for rapid decision making while democracy protects the people from the state. But systems should not be built for their own sake. There is no reason to make something more democratic via increased voting for no reason if it doesn't result in better governing. For example, I remember this one time where there was a vote on where a new road should be paved where I lived. It was dumb since such a decision is better made by somebody who's job is city planning and not with random people.

I also don't like it how lots of people appear to believe that democracy=people are entitled to get what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies