Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
To my anonymous admirers, Thank you for the rep points but in the future please post your comments either here on the thread or by direct message. I promise not to send BlackLivesMatter after you.

I actually received that same message....

Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I can talk about how Hispanics have been solving the problem, despite the constant influx of poor immigrants.
Education, entrepreneurship (especially with a highly diverse clientele and locations outside home neighborhoods), intermarriage, cultural assimilation (particular using standard English - third gen Hispanics rarely speak native Spanish), and cultural shifts in values (the shift towards favoring birth control for teens was dramatic and difficult for most Catholic Hispanic communities, but it is making a huge dent in the still large teenage pregnancy problem) have all be factors in reducing violence, criminality, firearm violence, unwed mothers, and welfare dependency.
You will see a similar pattern among many Asian communities, especially immigration-fed communities.

Education is huge though. Hispanic families are among the highest in America for value placed on education. Hispanics have now passed non-hispanic whites for college enrollment rates (though not college graduation, yet), and are rapidly gaining on Asian ethnicities.

The majority of the items you mention above are not based in fact but are just general topics you have picked up from the media. Black people and especially black women have been the fastest rising demographic in education especially. Also hispanics now lead blacks in regards to teen pregnancy rates and hispanic women have much lower educational attainment than black women.

Black Women in the US in 2014

From the report:

Quote:
Sixty years after the historic Brown v. Board of Education
decision, Black women have experienced a tremendous surge in educational attainment. Clearly demonstrating a keen understanding of the power and potential of education, in the span of five decades, high school graduation rates of Black women jumped 63%,
closing the graduation gap with white women to a mere 7% (down from 22% in 1960) and virtually eliminating the gap with Asian women (down to 2%). Today, fully 86% of young Black women graduate high school, compared to 66% of Latinas,
88% of Asian young women and 93% of white young women.

Beyond high school, Black women represent an increasing proportion of those enrolled in post-secondary education. Though women across all racial and ethnic divisions lead their male counterparts in college enrollment and degree attainment, Black women do so at higher rates than any other group of women in America.

Bold and red added by me.

Again many of you are stuck in 1980s media depictions of blacks in America.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:43 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,225,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I've read that African Americans should straighten out our own problems and I genuinely believe there is a great deal of truth in that statement, but since we haven't come up with a workable solution, I was wondering if white people would be so kind as to tell us how white people solved the problems of violence, guns, criminality, unwed mothers and welfare dependency amongst white people.

While I am patiently await your suggestions, let me just say thank you in advance.
Why bother? It's not like blacks will listen.

This isn't hard. If your 'community' is in bad shape and your own people, after DECADES of The War On Poverty, Affirmative Action, Welfare, Housing Assistance and a blizzard of other 'helpful' programs haven't gotten you out of welfare, poverty and lousy 'communities' then maybe a moment of reflection is in order. Either these programs really don't work or there is something wrong with the psychology and character of your 'community'. It's really up to you to change those things, not other people. If you can't fix it then fine... but keep it in YOUR 'community'.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,438,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Education is huge though. Hispanic families are among the highest in America for value placed on education. Hispanics have now passed non-hispanic whites for college enrollment rates (though not college graduation, yet), and are rapidly gaining on Asian ethnicities.
Do you have stats for these? Hispanic families are among the highest in America for value placed on education and hispanics have passed whites for college enrollment rates?

Interesting.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 AM

88,789 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post

This isn't hard. If your 'community' is in bad shape and your own people, after DECADES of The War On Poverty, Affirmative Action, Welfare, Housing Assistance and a blizzard of other 'helpful' programs haven't gotten you out of welfare, poverty and lousy 'communities' then maybe a moment of reflection is in order. Either these programs really don't work or there is something wrong with the psychology and character of your 'community'.
Apparently, Blacks prefer the status quo. And that's fine if that's what they want. Given that, they have no right to incessantly whine and complain about getting exactly what they wanted and for which they vote time and time again.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,225,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Apparently, Blacks prefer the status quo. And that's fine if that's what they want. Given that, they have no right to incessantly whine and complain about getting exactly what they wanted and for which they vote time and time again.

Exactly correct! Most poor urban areas in this country have black leaders and access to many millions in 'community grants', welfare, housing assistance, etc... yet nothing ever gets better. It's pretty clear that money, or lack of it, isn't the problem. The problem looks more and more like urban black culture itself is the problem. Only blacks can change that.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:04 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,424,207 times
Quote:
Exactly correct! Most poor urban areas in this country have black leaders and access to many millions in 'community grants', welfare, housing assistance, etc... yet nothing ever gets better. It's pretty clear that money, or lack of it, isn't the problem. The problem looks more and more like urban black culture itself is the problem. Only blacks can change that.
A big part of that urban community problem is that they don't take care of the things that are given them. They take them for granted and destroy everything. Give them brand new housing and it will look like Beirut in no time. Give them businesses for job opportunities and they either rob it and close it down or run it into the ground. When they are just given things instead of working hard for it, they don't take pride in it.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Do you have stats for these? Hispanic families are among the highest in America for value placed on education and hispanics have passed whites for college enrollment rates?

Interesting.

Hispanics actually rate less than black Americans on college enrollment on a percentage basis.

Many of the people on this thread are stuck on media stories they saw back in 1984. (See the two above me for proof who keep railing on social programs as if only black people are on them or can use them or as if a majority of us blacks use them at all).

Review the report I posted above. It is from the Washington Post, a conservative leaning outlet, and it shows that black women in particular, those who so many complain about on here in regards to education and OOW birth and "ghettos" have risen dramatically since 1960 and in education have risen more during the "Obama era" versus previous time periods. Also, total high school graduation rates for black Americans in 2014 was over 80% which is extremely high since back in the 1980s it was less than 50%.

Black women also have higher labor participation rates than all other women so are more consistently employed contrary to many people believing they are sitting around having babies on welfare. Even after having babies black women have consistently high rates of labor participation compared to other demographics.

It is an interesting read for those who are actually want to learn about today's issues and successes for black women in particular in comparison to other demographics.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,535,781 times
Quote:

This isn't hard. If your 'community' is in bad shape and your own people, after DECADES of The War On Poverty, Affirmative Action, Welfare, Housing Assistance and a blizzard of other 'helpful' programs haven't gotten you out of welfare, poverty and lousy 'communities' then maybe a moment of reflection is in order. Either these programs really don't work or there is something wrong with the psychology and character of your 'community'. It's really up to you to change those things, not other people. If you can't fix it then fine... but keep it in YOUR 'community'.
Thank you very much the Black African American Community is already fixed , what we are talking about is the Under Class Black African American Community , I bet that you don't even know the different between the two (2) Community sort of like all 40 Million AA ball park figure ( are all jacked up ) here in the great and grand United States of America....and by the way last that I heard the POTUS is AA....!!!

I see the glass as half full , and you being you , you can't help yourself see the glass as half ( you fill in the blank____________)

Old 09-01-2015, 10:14 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:

Actually, your generalized idea of things is quite flawed. There are more Blacks who have graduated from high school and college than ever before in our nation's history. The Black middle class and Black upper class has grown leaps and bounds since the 1960s.

Blacks won't listen? More like HOOD RATS don't listen, not even to other Blacks who made it. The Blacks that do and have listened, alot of them became successes. Keep it is "our community"? You have Blacks who have succeed, and have left hood rats behind. For some reason, alot of Blacks who have succeed won't live around the likes of hood rats, especially in the post 1960s time period. There are many Blacks in good shape. The hood rats are the ones in bad shape. Blacks like me don't need any advice, as we're living our lives in decent ways. I work and I have a college degree and I know many Blacks that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.