Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Civil disobedience for racial discrimination for voting rights for blacks and women, Vietnam were worthwhile causes, protesting because you don't agree with someone's lifestyle that doesn't effect anyone else one iota insults disobedience that has take place in this country.

Probably no the best role model foe behavior to carry this flag by the way but the right wing supportive presidential candidates can't get enough.
In spite of the garbled syntax, I understand what you're getting at. No one is claiming that those who practice civil disobedience are always correct, or even justified. But they retain the right to engage in such disobedience, free of threats and the kind of hatred the Kentucky woman has experienced from those who oppose her.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
In spite of the garbled syntax, I understand what you're getting at. No one is claiming that those who practice civil disobedience are always correct, or even justified. But they retain the right to engage in such disobedience, free of threats and the kind of hatred the Kentucky woman has experienced from those who oppose her.
And what of the hatred thrown at the citizens of Rowan county that simply wanted a marriage license?

As for the clerk, she engaged, and lost on all appeals. She can now resign, or allow her clerks to issue marriage licenses, and then she will be free to go. She alone holds the keys to her cell.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:07 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
Quote:
For starters, all of the art, music, schools, hospitals, universities, and charitable organizations it has inspired. All of those people can't have been seeking to harm others.
You could say exactly the same things about Islam. The problem isn't Islam. It's fundamentalism. There are Christian fundamentalists right here who would dearly love to impose their own version of Sharia Law on the rest of us. Kim Davis is apparently one of them.

Quote:
Personally, I think the slavish devotion to federal oversight and power shared by so many political progressives constitutes the most insidious theological threat to Americans. The Supreme Court is coming to resemble the Inquisition more and more every day. Nine black robes, appointed for life, subject to no regulations or earthly power, handing down their edicts...
Personally, I'd say Christian fundamentalists and the government officials who hold the same views seeking to impose their religious restrictions on everyone else are the most insidious theological threats to Americans. You want to be a Christian? Fine, have at it. Live your life whatever way you want. But don't try to force me or anyone else to live their lives your way.

As for the part about the Supreme Court, why was this never a problem before the gay marriage ruling? Indeed, social conservatives cheered the Hobby Lobby decision. Why is it a problem now? And if you think the Supreme Court is subject to no regulations or earthly power, you need to read the Constitution.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And what of the hatred thrown at the citizens of Rowan county that simply wanted a marriage license?
I was unaware that anyone threw anything, including hatred, at anyone except Ms. Davis. If that did occur, one hopes the perpetrators were arrested. I don't recall reading about such arrests.

Quote:
As for the clerk, she engaged, and lost on all appeals. She can now resign, or allow her clerks to issue marriage licenses, and then she will be free to go. She alone holds the keys to her cell.
That is not news. The legal system has indeed ground another dissenter under its heel. Cheers all around.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:15 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
Quote:
I was unaware that anyone threw anything, including hatred, at anyone except Ms. Davis. If that did occur, one hopes the perpetrators were arrested. I don't recall reading about such arrests.

That is not news. The legal system has indeed ground another dissenter under its heel. Cheers all around.
Not a dissenter, a criminal. The Constitution is the law of the land in the US and it is ruled on by the Supreme Court. People who think they can ignore the fundamental structure of this country because of stories they read in a book are dangerous and need to go away.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:16 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Common sense should tell you that it wrong to prevent blacks from voting because of race, this is not civil disobedience this is the religious right stamping their foot because they don't like the SCOTUS decision.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:17 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the slavish devotion to federal oversight and power shared by so many political progressives constitutes the most insidious theological threat to Americans.
Whoa!!! Really???? No one is theologically threatened except those who want to impose their beliefs on others when serving the public.

KY clerk can believe what she wants. However, she is employed and PAID (clearly overpaid, imo) by the citizens of her county - and that means ALL citizens, including gays, lesbians/transgender, whatever. She abides by the laws governing ALL citizens.

I am not an atheist. At the same time, I do not believe there is only one TRUE religion. God has created as many paths to him as there are cultures for a reason - the same message does not resonate with everyone. If others choose atheism, it matters not to me.

I have niece, now 18, who was born transgender. From the day she could talk, she insisted she was a boy. She has always refused wear female clothing. Today at 18, she is clearly a male in a female body. It was - and still is - the strangest thing to witness - and a learning experience. Still can't really wrap my mind around it. Her sexuality is beyond her control - and was preordained in the womb. She is not to blame - and needs to find her happiness - a much more difficult path which, thankfully, was never mine. An aberration - not in any way a choice, but afflicted upon her at birth.

KY clerk's personal (and uninformed) religious beliefs impacting the fulfillment of her TAXPAYER PAID duties and service to the PUBLIC, is inappropriate and unprofessional - at the very least - and, worse, she is passing judgment on others.

She needs to resign.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:17 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I've found that many of those who cry bloody murder because us gheys can get married are also the ones that treat marriage like it's nothing. This particular clerk has been married four times. Says a lot about whether this is just religious beliefs or just bigotry.

Her Christian conversion is a more recent event.

Davis, an Apostolic Christian, says her commitment to her faith came after she found "a message of grace" four years ago when she went to church following the death of her mother-in-law.
advertisement

"I am not perfect. No one is," she said in her statement. "But I am forgiven and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God."

Kim Davis, Kentucky Clerk Blocking Gay Marriages, Has Had Her Own Marital Strife - NBC News

Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
You could say exactly the same things about Islam. The problem isn't Islam. It's fundamentalism. There are Christian fundamentalists right here who would dearly love to impose their own version of Sharia Law on the rest of us. Kim Davis is apparently one of them.
That "apparently" looms very large. Actually, neither of us is privy to Ms. Davis' views on anything except same sex marriage.

Quote:
Personally, I'd say Christian fundamentalists and the government officials who hold the same views seeking to impose their religious restrictions on everyone else are the most insidious theological threats to Americans. You want to be a Christian? Fine, have at it. Live your life whatever way you want. But don't try to force me or anyone else to live their lives your way.
Same here. Keep your transsexual boys out of the girls rest room.

Quote:
As for the part about the Supreme Court, why was this never a problem before the gay marriage ruling?
Uh, Citizens United? Eminent domain confiscation? Japanese internment camps? Dred Scott?

Quote:
And if you think the Supreme Court is subject to no regulations or earthly power, you need to read the Constitution.
Let's see, now. Appointed for life. Subject to no higher court. Able to enact social legislation with five votes. No need for the messiness of Congress. Anything else? Oh, I forgot: those robes. No television in the Court. And anything else they dream up. Face it: the Supreme Court has morphed into the Supreme Beings.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:24 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Once SCOTUS tells her no special treatment for her, they will fire her, for cause, no doubt.

She was elected to the office in 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies